changing wiper blades on an S-Type

Steve

Today I changed the wiper blades on my S-Type.

At first it seems complicated as you cannot pull the wiper arms past the bonnet, leaving you in that head scratching situation.

But on the wiper blade mount there is a small clip underneath which you push upwards as hard as you can and then slide the blade off... with a small wiggle it will come off the arm.

Take off the hose from the washer jet and then when the blade is free you need to take the centre mount clip off (quite hard to get the plastic clip off, use a big headed screw driver to prise it off, but be careful not to break) which as the washer jet attached to it and apply to new blade.

I put 10" and 12" PIAA blades on mine... works a treat

PIAA blades are awesome as they are silicone, i have a few sets in my garage if anyone wants to buy a set.

post-1-0-76902300-1366048329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Its really not as hard as it seems.... first off i tried the old remove the arm with a 13mm socket, but i could not prise the arm off the spindle for some reason... so in the end i took a look at the blade and worked it out that the small clip need pushing upwards and at the same time push the blade away from you if you are on the passenger side (on a Right hand drive car for our international members) and pull towards you if on the drivers side.

Unclip the pipe and and the whole blade is removed.

took 5 mins to do both blades.

I take it there is not a service mode for changing the wipers then, on other cars I have owned, where the wipers will not lift when in park you have a service mode that you put them in and the go half way up the windscreen allowing you to fully lift the arm to change the blades, even though it is still very easy to change the blades as mine only took 5 mins I would of thought they would have a service mode as well, I think next time I am at the Jag dealership I will ask the question.

i'm afraid not.. even with the bonnet fully up i could lift the blades only 6 inches.. they will not lift up anymore even when clearing the bonnet.... but with the diagram you will see they are designed so you dont have to take the arm off.

I have my wiper blades changed every 12 months as part of the yearly service prior to the car's MOT, if you have read  some of my previous posts you will know I use a local independant garage owned by a family friend so I know I am getting a fair deal with him and not being overcharged. Incidently the car spares outlet just down the road from where I live  will fit wiper blades, batteries, bulbs and such, bought from them at no extra charge, a service which brings them a fair amount of business particularly from lady drivers. Best wishes to all Geoff.

• 1 month later...

A bit late and a bit of sarc if you are rally foolish you can take it to your local Halfords and let their trained staff fit it for you who will put two great scratches in your bonnet and twist the wiper arm so that it hits the back of your bonnet on every pass BEWARE....John

You've ignored the first rule of grown up motoring.. 

NEVER, go to Halfords. For anything. 

p.s. had the same with my wiper arm when I got the car - simply removed, and bent it back using care until I got bonnet clearance back! - 

Yep you have those moments when you know in your heart your making a big mistake,when the man said we can fit it for you for £2.00 and I said ok it was one of those moments I cant imagine what possessed me to ignore the alarm bells ringing in my head.

One good thing about Halfords is they do a remarkably cheap line in Turtle Zip Wax car shampoo I bought a good few bottles at 99p each and it will only probably cost me about £500 to get the bonnet resprayed....john

Surely if the bonnet was scratched by Halfords employees doing a job you were paying them for they are responsible for any costs incurred to rectify the damage. I know if it had been my car they had damaged in this way I would not have rested until it had been put right and paid for by them and it would have been at a tradesman that I had chosen and approved of. Best wishes Geoff.

I appreciate what your saying but I feel it would have been difficult to prove as I didn't notice it at the time the wiper blade was fitted and only noticed it when I got round to washing the car a couple of weeks later due to the usual bad weather, I don't even have the bill for it, the car is 12 yrs old and has got the usual small knocks and scuffs that tend to accumulate over time,but it doesn't make it any less annoying when someone that is supposed to know what they are about does it and gets paid for it .....such is life....John

Fair comment John, after a couple of weeks they would think you were "coming it" and would no doubt tell you to get lost. We live and learn. Best wishes mate, Geoff.

• 3 months later...

Hi There, I found it very simple to change the wiper blades thanks to the forum.   My problem is that the blades are not touching the windscreen at the extreme ends for some reason.  Any ideas.

Hi Jagalex

Sometimes the rubbers can be a tight fit within the blade which can lead to the wipers not touching the screen on each end.

I'm sure they will loosen/soften up over a short time which should cure it.

Regards, Trevor

• 1 year later...

".. first off i tried the old remove the arm with a 13mm socket, but i could not prise the arm off the spindle for some reason"

Bit of a thread resurrection but hopefully useful information to add:-

The wiper arm spindle is tapered, not unlike a tapered ball joint and I've found that a slight tap with a small hammer where the wiper arm fits over the spindle is usually enough to shock the wiper arm free.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

i realise this is an old thread but this is the first time i've seen a picture showing the problem i have. Even halfords can't change my wiper blades. I have the same round sprayer and the hose seems permanently attached but neither my garage or halfords know how to change it because all the blades for my reg look different. Halfords couldn't get the blade off and the blades for my reg even though it was their site that said they were the right ones have the sprayer on the blade which is square. I don't understand any of this. Its even more worrying that companies like Halfords etc don't know how to replace them either. The second image is of the halfords blades that come up on all sites when i put in my reg. That has a sprayer on the blade which is oblong. How do i change the one I have for that one when halfords says even though its coming up for my car it isn't the right one? Can anyone please explain to me in laymans terms so I can follow it and get my car through the mot this week. I'd be really grateful. Halfords couldn't even get my blade off let alone change it. They said it was permanently attached. I'm in a race for time as retest is on tuesay. Suzanna😞

w1.JPG

wipershalfords.jpg

• 11 months later...