Insurance

Hi Trevor,

I knew a guy who always used to buy his cars from the last few ever made.  He argued that all the problems with the early models had been well sorted and the manufacturers were making sure that all the bell and whistles available were on the car.

The last company car I had was underpowered, poorly upholstered, with poor petrol economy and with terrible steering.  It was one of the first off the line.  Within two years the model had been re engined, new steering geometry and better upholstery.

My S type is from the last period of production and the only extras that it has not got are Jaguar Voice and a built in TV, neither of which I would have had anyway.

I am sure you will enjoy the XK-R and I agree that it would be more suited to the Devonshire Roads.  I had the opportunity to buy an XJ [old shape] that was equipped with all you would expect HM the Queen to have, but it was a long wheelbase and the turn into my driveway is just about manageable with the S Type which is 16 feet long.  It had belonged to the Queen's fleet and the insurance would have been very high.

I look to hearing from you when you have given it a good spin acres the moors.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

Don't get me wrong, the XJ Supersport is a fantastic car, the best I've ever owned . It has every conceivable extra you could imagine , right down to Kylie Minogue serving soft drinks !

It is luxurious inside and you would have to go a long way to find a more comfortable  and better equipped car .

But I agree with your point, although I really like the 1200 watt Bowers and Wilkins audio system, I really do not need voice activation and three TV,s

I had intended to get a XK-R after the Aston Martin fiasco, but as 'er indoors had been banging on about four seater four, door cars, I opted for the XJ.

It is the wife who has suddenly come up with the notion that as there is only two of us we don't need a big car and ought to get a "sporty job"

How wise of her all of a sudden, still what's part exchange and £16K to a woman !

All in all, the XJ Supersport is wonderful in every way, but far too big for our needs and Devon's roads, but whoever buys it is going  to be getting a wonderful car, and as I said to a couple at the stealership ( Jaguar/Aston Martin), I've had both marques, and I would choose the Jaaaaag every single time over the Aston, it is that superior .

Still onwards and upwards, all being well the XK-R is being purchased on Thursday, so hopefully i should have if at the end of the week , or early next week.

And on the bright side, I'm not being pestered!

Here is a picture of my northern Grand daughter that my eldest has adopted; she seems very pleased over the car, or it might be the puppy she is getting Saturday, or she might just be sending you a smile for your birthday

puppy_zps050fc341.jpg

ATB,

Trevor

HI Trevor, 

Yes the XJ is a great car, and there are quite a few round here.  The big issue with a big car is the type of roads on which you do most of your driving, and the ability to park it easily.

Most of my driving is on motorways and dual carriageways, and so a big car is great.

In a city there is so much good public transport I can leave the car at home when I have to go into Birmingham  --  'bus stop at the end of the road and the cross city line a few hundred yards away, and it is free!

Enjoy one of the most beautiful cars on the road next week   ---   it might even want to come back to visit Castle Bromwich!

Regards,

Peter.

yes i know trevor. but i say its not for me more for us. it will be getting a service on friday i think. from my freinds garage even though it was serviced 5k ago. but i dont trust main dealerships have heard to many bad stories about them skimping . cheap filters or just clean them, cheap Oil not the good stuff ect charging for spark plugs ect ect . my car is the xk . and gave in to her about it not being practical hence the vauxhall. but i know her all to well she will moan about the xk sitting ther. hope you enjoy the xkr regards charlie

Peter,

Something a little worrying why on earth would you want to go into Birmingham ? all the brummies live in Devon anyhow.

The XJ is fab, but the dirt tracks round here are tiny, and you need planning permission to park it .

I doubt if it will be coming to Castle Bromwich as i have done my duty of crossing the Thames for this decade !

Is it you birthday Saturday?

Charlie,

Although the salesman from the stealership is buying the car I have told them I won;t be getting it serviced there, and told them why (because they're rip off merchants) . They were quite good about it though, but there again they know very well they've taken me for a ride in the past and i've tumbled them.

Got to take 'er indoors to the dentist now to get some wisdom teeth put in .

Have a good day both of you.

ATB,

Trevor

I got my insurance yesterday after trawling the internet for a week.

LV= have not sent me a renewal quote yet, SAGA quoted £909 without my son on the policy as he is under 50, and the two best were Tesco at £540 and Swiftcover at £470.  So Swiftcover [AXA] it is.

I have not included a courtesy car on the policy for logical reasons.  The local transport is very good and both 'bus and trains are free within the county for us pensioners.  I have paid about £30 a year for a courtesy car for 15 years since I retired and the company car went, and logic says that if I actually need a car I could hire one.

Peter.

yes trevor its a nice day up here in haggis land sun is out .weather man said its to be nice here for the next 4 days whoopie i love the summer time. out in the back garden cleaning the cars then off to haldfords for a dog guard for the vauxhall.  

peter must be paying a higher  becuse of  inner city. wer as trevor is in the country. and mines low as i am in a small town  regards charlie

Charlie,

Glad it's a nice day "abroad"up there in non salad eating land .

I would have thought Peter's insurance would have been cheaper than ours just for the simple fact he's a grown up .

Don't have to bother with dog guards, as the only time 'er indoors's dog comes in the car is to the vets or the kennels.

Cannot stand the things, but it is muggins here who has to take the thing out all the time, including a three mile walk round the reservoirs every morning at 5-45 am .

But not to worry, it's better than being Welsh.

ATB,

Trevor

haha nice one. they say that moss grows on the north side of a tree. it rains that mutch up here were covered with it look like the irish

Hi Trevor,

The City of Birmingham is one of those cities that carries about 15% premium and the fact that my car was carjacked last year also gets another £150 stuck on. Last year LV= insured me for £455, this year they quoted £654.

So in comparison, Swift Cover [AXA] at £470 is pretty good. 

Peter.

Just back from London.

Charlie,

I bet it rains more down here, did you see the recent floods on the telly ? it's like the tide coming down! all you here from the yokels is " Tis the same everywhere my dear "

But there again, they do eat seaweed like the Wurzels , and think Jethro is funny !

You know it's wet when the Welsh complain about the rain !

ATB,

Trevor ( Nearly a XK-R owner )

Peter,

Why not do what the other 99% of Midlands have done and move to Devon ?

A Brummie train driver owns a holiday home opposite me and reckon's there's more brummies down here, I think they must like the rain !

I think I will give the XK-R a burst down to London to see my daughter when I get it .

ATB,

Trevor

maybe its a power-boat you should buy instead of the xkr trevor haha yes it has been really bad down there the last few years. did you notice it was only when the counties approching london got hit did the goverment take action.  they cant tell the weather the bbc are hopeless.

Charlie,

Yes I did, and complained to the BBC about it, also got barred from facebook for airing my views because someone said it was only right that London and the home counties should get preferential treatment .

It really was hearbreaking to see some of the families who lost everything on the Somerset levels, they were under about six feet of water for about three months .

ATB,

Trevor

maybe things will get done down ther now ie. rivers dreaged ect  as there is an election next year!!!!!! yes was heart felt for all those poor people watching ther homes get flooded and nothing done to help them. what ive noticed is that this country has a lot of micro-climates . with all the valleys hills ect just like frost it lies in pockets if you know what i mean. regards charlie

Hi All,

Putting on my Moderators hat, jauntily, I may add, there is a note at the bottom of the post that indicates gently that the post should redirect itself to Jaguar Insurance discussions.

Possibly this rather important topic that has strayed in could be better discussed  in the Lounge Forum which devotes itself to general subjects not connected with Jaguar.

While I am aware, and I am guilty myself, that topics sometimes wander off somewhat, I am sure that everyone will cooperate.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

My fault, apologies.

I shall be getting the insurance for the XK-R all being well by the end of the week, or early next week, soon as I know the registration.

Expecting it to be in the region of £350

ATB,

Trevor ( Now on the naughty step!)

• 4 months later...

Ken,

Exactly the same price as my XKR 5 litre supercharged 510BHP with Endsleigh inusrance . But I am in God's waiting room, and live in a low crime area down here in the sticks, road wise all we have to look out for is the odd sheep, tractors, and caravans.

ATB,

Trevor

Ken,

Exactly the same price as my XKR 5 litre supercharged 510BHP with Endsleigh inusrance . But I am in God's waiting room, and live in a low crime area down here in the sticks, road wise all we have to look out for is the odd sheep, tractors, and caravans.

ATB,

Trevor

Much the same Trevor I live in a small village located on the A4059 better known as Richard Hammond's test track. I've seen him a few times, passed me once in an orange Lambo and I was doing the naughty ton in the SLK32 even worse when the Range Rover passed me full of cameras. I spoke with him later when he, his crew and I pulled into a lay-by where there is a virus van serving tea, coffee and bacon butty's