spare wheel

Bicky

I bought a space saver wheel off eBay, about £200 inc jack, brace etc.  I got caught out about a month after picking the car up, I had 3 meetings in Farnborough one afternoon, got a puncture in Southampton and was advised by Jaguar not to do the 100 mile round trip with the sealant muck in the tyre.  I then wasted the whole afternoon getting the tyre replaced.  I was very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you specify a spare wheel when buying new, you only get a spacesaver. Try buying a spacesaver afterwards and the price is ridiculous (I think it was around £600). Yes, a full size wheel and tyre fits in the well. I bought a "reject" but new wheel from eBay (there is a really small fault in the finish), a new tyre and a jack and wheel brace for around £250. 

There are restrictions on how fast and how far you can go on a spacesaver - and if you use the dreadful repair kit you will probably write the tyre off.

What a pity Jaguar don't supply a proper spare as standard!

• 1 month later...

Hi Bicky.

I just bought a Jaguar XF two weeks ago and had the same problem, didn't want to rely on the can of foam. Jaguar quoted me £450 plus vat for a space saver and wheel kit which is ridiculous.

Bear with me this is what I did. The wheels I have are 245/45/18.

Measured across one of my wheels to see if it would fit in the wheel well in the boot (only just).

Bought an alloy rim same as I got on my car from eBay cost £150.

Bought a tyre locally, cheap one as its a spare, cost fitted was £55.

Next you need a wheel retaining bolt which you can pick up online for £12. This wont be the right size as it's designed for a space saver, but you can either get it cut down or put a block of wood with a 8mm hole drilled through it and brace the wheel down.

Lastly got a jack and wheel brace from eBay at a cost of £15.

Total cost £232 for a full size spare wheel.

When you take the liner out of your boot well make sure the wheel will fit (i'v read on hear that some models got an amp eating into the space, mine hasn't).

I put the wheel face down and tightened the bolt through the wood to secure the wheel, you can either buy a boot organizer to store the jack and brace but what I did was buy a piece of high density foam cut to size for the inside of the wheel (ebay) and cut  out the shapes for the jack nd brace.

Sorry this is a bit long but I put in as much detail as possible, if you need any of the websites I used please let me know. Any comments welcome.

• 6 months later...

Hi to All,

just a thought, before buying a spare wheel in order to see if it will fit into your spare wheel space.....remove the Spacesaver or any items that are in the spare wheel recess....CAREFULLY jack up the car at one of the front jacking points,....make sure HANDBRAKE is ON, remove one of the FRONT wheels and see if this wheel will fit in the spare wheel recess (before I remove any wheel from my car, I mark the end of one wheel nut stud and also the wheel nut recess on the wheel in order that the wheel goes back as it came off, this is to keep it balanced this is usually the stud that the "Anti-Theft nut is on.)........If the wheel does fit then put everything back as it was and go ahead and purchase a proper wheel......as this wheel is a Spare wheel, if you cannot get a matching style of wheel another style could do as it need only be put on for a short period of time until you get the original repaired.

Regards..............Billyboy

• 1 month later...

I was considering a space saver but after reading Marks comments on a full size wheel I think thats a much better idea.

So I removed the polystyrene tray only to find a large black plastic part that fills the bottom of the well, it has an electrical component screwed to it. Do you think I can remove this black plastic part? I don't appear to have an upgraded radio ( there are no names on the speakers ).

I also have a spare 19'' tyre that I tried in the well and that looked ok and I will use that should i buy a full size wheel.

Further to my last post I have just had another look at this 'black part' and stamped on it is ' handle with care speaker on bottom '. Does this mean I will not be able to remove it to enable me to fit a full size 19'' wheel without the wheel raising the height of the floor?

I have bought a 2013 2.2 diesel xf jaguar(believe its called a sport) and i realy dont trust the glue/compressor thing.

not very good on internet,ref;looking for spare wheel or a normal one would be better.

18" 245/45/zr18 are the tyres at moment dont know why the z.

derek

since i bought the Jaguar the eco stop start has only worked 2 or 3 day's

have had it back for updating twice.(gear lever mods.)

i understand it can be very sensitive but when will it work normal.

Welcome to the Club, Derek.

The ZR sidewall marking refers to the maximum speed and load.  Unless you are going to drive at the maximum speed of your car  [150 mph] you  could use a lesser rating.

My S type uses the same size wheels, and I have a matching alloy wheel which fits neatly in the boot, which I hope I never use.

If you search around on the internet I am sure you will find one to fit.

Regards,

Peter.

• 9 months later...

19 inch Space saver for Sportbrake is £150, but would not be happy using it, as its smaller than the other wheels on the R-Sport Black.

Also I have had tio use a spacesaver on a Toyota I had as the tyre blew out. have you ever tried to drive down the motorway at 50MPH? scary.

• 8 months later...

Hello All,

My first post here.  I've bought a full size alloy off eBay and then a Pirelli matching tyre (when I get to lower but still legal thread on my current tyres, I'll swap one of those over as the spar

e and buy one fewer replacements).  Could anyone tell me if the XF model has a different jack to any of the other models or, indeed, would any type of car jack that I could buy online be ok? I've seen a kit on eBay but it's £120 just for the jack, brace and styrofoam wheel insert - a bit steep).

Further to my last post I have just had another look at this 'black part' and stamped on it is ' handle with care speaker on bottom '. Does this mean I will not be able to remove it to enable me to fit a full size 19'' wheel without the wheel raising the height of the floor?

I have bought a 2013 2.2 diesel xf jaguar(believe its called a sport) and i realy dont trust the glue/compressor thing.

not very good on internet,ref;looking for spare wheel or a normal one would be better.

18" 245/45/zr18 are the tyres at moment dont know why the z.

derek

since i bought the jaguar the eco stop start has only worked 2 or 3 day's

have had it back for updating twice.(gear lever mods.)

i understand it can be very sensitive but when will it work normal.

First post. Regarding Eco stop start. Mine stopped working a few months back and the local dealer diagnosed that as I was only doing 'local mileage' the there wasn't sufficient in the battery to activate it. Kept the car overnight to put on a trickle charge and it worked for about two days before again not functioning. I decided to bear with it and raise it at the next service. Overtaken by events as came out to a flat battery one day and had to call Jaguar Assistance. Excellent mechanic, his first test with his equipment showed that the battery was fully charged which it obviously wasn't and he said to wait and retest after ten minutes. This time it displayed faulty battery and he contacted the local dealer with a 'fault code' and the battery was replaced under the warranty that same day. Done the trick and working every time now. I suspect if I had returned it to the dealer I would have received the same advice as initially provided.

Rick, did you ever resolve the problem with the black plastic tray as I have the same problem with a full size 19" wheel.

I came on to find out something about spare wheel sizes for the XK & spotted this thread. I was the Engineer who introduced foam to the 1999 DB7 V12 as a cost reduction & weight saving. To test it, I drove over a piece of 4x2 timber with 3 six inch nails in it. I then reversed back over the same wood leaving 6 holes in the front nearside tyre. I filled the 18 inch tyre with Holts tyre weld.

After driving around for a few meters the tyre self inflates. I then drove from Bloxham (Banbury) wto Bruntingthorpe (Leics) & drove around & around the track for about an hour at silly speeds. Bored, i then started doing J-turns whcih puts a fair amount of stress on the front tyres. After about 3 hours of messing around on the track, I came back to base.  In conclusion, after around 100 miles road driving, 100 miles track racing & lots of J turns, the tyre remained fully inflated.

Be careful who you listen to about tyre weld. its !Removed! good. Look for research on actual failure, rather than desktop experts who speculate on failure. I know of zero cases of failure personally. After we added it to the Aston range, Jaguar (then a sister company) followed suit along with many others. I think we copied Mercedes, I don't recall.  But on Saturday I will drive London-Bucharest in an XK probably & I have no concerns about a spare! 1600 mile drive in one sitting.

Hi Damian, and welcome to the club.

Although I have a "proper" spare wheel in my boot, I always carry a canister of Holts Tyre weld as 18" wheels are a bit heavy for an old so and so like me.

But I do have a question, and who better to ask than yourself  ---  has the canister got a shelf life and should I replace it regularly?

Meanwhile enjoy your trip to Bucharest.

Regards,

Peter.