Crap X Type Wheel nuts

Dell

Hi all I hope someone can help.

Yesterday i had a puncture when i tried to remove the wheel nuts the first nut spun the tin head the second one just destroyed the head and the third one sheared off so i thought sod it it will have to wait until tomorrow (today). I had to weld a big bolt onto remains of the sheared off nut this just twisted the bolt in half then I welded a nut onto what was left of the bolt that I welded on earlier this twisted off so then I welded another one on with lots of weld left it to cool hit it with a lump hammer a few times ( not sure if this helped but it helped me) this time using a 4 ft pole it came free but it destroyed the alloy wheel. I am looking for a full set of solid chrome replacement wheel nuts I have been told that certain Toyota nuts are the same but any advice would appreciated .

Thanks in advance Dell  

Just a quick update

One supplier is sending me one chromed steel wheel nut to try to see if it will fit the only difference is that the head is 21ml and not 19ml( not a problem if i can get the socket in wheel) the other thing is the shaft is 3ml longer that is why i am just trying one to see if it protrudes out the back of the wheel if it is below it should be OK will update when it arrives.

Hi all just a quick update on the wheel nut saga the nut that http://www.precisionautoparts.co.uk sent me seems to work a treat although the shaft is longer it will not protrude out the back of the wheel it is 1/2 mm short of the inside wheel flange but just to make sure I removed a wheel and fitted it with just the new nut torqued it up just to see if there was any movement wheel to hub it was OK so I have ordered the other 15 £29 and a set of McGard locking nuts
If anybody wants to contact Precision Auto Parts the no is
01292 285935 contact name Kevin.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all as you can see from picture I have got all the new wheel nuts and a new set of locking wheel nuts(McGall) I have fitted using copper slip but not on thread (on thread i used thread oil) torqued to 103 nu-ton metres after approx 30 miles re-torqued to 103 again although none had come loose now i know that i will not have the worry of the broken wheel nut again.
4638d1378030076t-broken-wheel-nut-img-20 4639d1378030083t-broken-wheel-nut-img-20 The only difference as you can see is the locking wheel nut sticks out a little bit but i am happy.

• 3 months later...

Dell do you know the part number for the wheel nuts you bought, I am having exactly the same issue. The Jaguar ones are complete rubbish and keep shearing off. I have broken 2 recently and had to get them drilled off.

The design is flawed as there is very little metal between the thread and the outside.

I am petrified to remove a wheel now in case I break more of them

• 4 weeks later...

I have experienced the same issues. I have drill and chiselled wheel nuts off with minimal if no damage to the alloys. But the best method is to hammer on a 17mm socket over the spinning wheel nut and undoing in the conventional way. Obviously the socket and wheel nut get ruined but its worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to use the same breaker bar to tighten the bolts as to undo them. Didn't want the wheels to fall off

Head busted on one and it cost me £25 to get it nuked and forced out.

Now they are tightened, then torqued. Seems I was being far to enthusiastic with the bar

15 hours ago, kenneth wilkins said:

I used to use the same breaker bar to tighten the bolts as to undo them. Didn't want the wheels to fall off

Head busted on one and it cost me £25 to get it nuked and forced out.

Now they are tightened, then torqued. Seems I was being far to enthusiastic with the bar

Great invention these torque wrenches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards, John

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership