Black Smoke on Acceleration

Jolleydiver

Hi, I was experiencing similar symptoms with my 2003 xtype, i.e.black smoke on hard acceleration and a little hesitation. I changed the air flow meter which cost €90 from Tallaght Autoparts here in Dublin, and hey presto problem solved. The car now drives perfectly. Before you rush out and buy an air flow meter you could disconnect the electrical block from the afm and rev the engine, the black smoke should disappear if the afm is faulty. By doing this simple test the engine management light will more than likely come on and will have to be cleared using a diagnostics.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

After reading helpful comments I had the same problem with black smoke took to the garage, big spilt in pipe from intercooler to egr, its amazing the smallest things make sure a difference, thank you for letting me read your advice 

• 10 months later...

Black smoke on acceleration

Advice: Clean EGR, replace intercooler hose, get car remapped.

I had this exact problem.

Since having the car this past 20 months it has always been a bit smokey.

Last autumn, had the EGR replaced as it was said not to work by the garage; since all these forums talk about EGRs being problematic, I decided to just get it done.

At the start of February, the car would not start and was taken back to the garage. The garage said the EGR was faulty and as I understand, it was replaced.

Start of June: The car had the other common issue of noisy aux belt tensioner. The car became temperantal to start, so I put it in to have the tensioner done and check the starting. The garage said that there was no problem they could find with the starting. There was, it was hard to start when I picked the car up. The tensioner cost £374 to have replaced btw.

The cat has got progressively harder to start. Chugging if it could be got going, then after a steadily lengthening time, it would rev 'normally' but produce black smoke, increasingly bad as the weeks went on.

I had the carbon clean treatment (£50) 12/7/20 but there was no improvement with starting, though I was advised to have the Turbo actuator and MAF replaced. I checked the prices of these from ECP and it was over £500 so I went to a trusted breakers and changed them. (Parts totalled £30) An easy job, no more than 15 mins in total. This made no difference at all.

I decided to remove the EGR and clean it. It was not bad, so I brushed the very light carbon out with an old toothbrush. Checked the intercooler hose and it was torn. Taped it up temporarily and hey presto - after the initial rev up there was no black smoke, so the culprit for black smoke was the intercooler hose.

Went on Amazon and got one for £20, and after removing the air filter, the associated bracket and moving a few wiring runs to one side, it was still tight for arm room, it was fiddly to remove the old hose, the new hose was very tight (had to chamfer the inside of the hose to get it into the bottom connection) and tightening up the new jubilee clip was tricky.

Putting the EGR back on was easy enough and the other bits were all straightforward.

After initial start up, the black smoke was gone.

It did not cure the starting problem.

I looked at some forums and one suggestion was to get the car remapped.

I contacted The Jag Man in Platt Bridge, near Wigan.

Left car with him to cool down and got it remapped (£50)

It is like having a new car.

If I had not done this, it would have cost me beyond £1000 and the starting problem would still be there.

The parts I would prioritise on are: Intercooler hose, jubilee clips.

The EGR will need cleaning out. Brush it out as I did.

I recommend the Carbon Clean and the remap is a no brained.

A local garage offered a diagnostic for £140 + VAT.

I anticipate they would have charged a few hundred pounds minimum for whatever bits they decided upon plus parts 

After that the remap would cost about £150 + VAT.

With a bit of patience and getting my hands dirty, the entire resolution cost me:

Carbon Clean: £50

Turbo actuator & MAF sensor: £30

Intercooler hose: £20

Jubilee clips: £3.98

Remap (Jag Man): £48

Total £151.98

I can thoroughly recommend The Jag Man. Just now and then you meet someone who knows exactly what they are talking about.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership