Tyre recommendations

pc99

My XF has 255/35R20 wheels and both rear tyres are now close to the legal limit.

I knew the tyres were worn when I bought the car, but was a little shocked at the prices of tyres.

Michelins are around £280 each at Costco.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for cheaper tyres, I've always gone with Michelin on previous cars as I've found they seem to last a lot longer. But I was considering Kumho tyres for the XF, as they are a lot cheaper (around £180 fitted) but is it a false economy.

The current tyres are Dunlops all round. These are around £240 each.

Any thoughts (preferably from personal experience) appreciated.

Graham

I have similar size on my xj. I always stuck with the original Pirellis which were more comfortable but wear out quickly (a puncture and unavailability of Pirelli forced me into fitting a Dunlop quickly after all four tyres were replaced and that has far outlasted the other three). I am now on all Dunlop but the ride is noticeably more 'jiggly'.

I do think you get what you pay for and that the original fitments are usually chosen by the manufacturer for best performance and comfort.

Thanks for that.My XF currently has Dunlops all round,

I haven't tried Pirellis for a long time, I always thought they wore quickly.

I'm still inclined to try the Michelins. Just have to shop around for the best price.

I also have an XF ® and there are only two makes of tyre at present that are (J rated), perelli and dunlop, the P Zero in my opinion are awful, terrible in the wet, where as the dunlop i have used several times and are very pleased with them.

lesson ive learned.... Never compremise on tyres...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same tyres on my XJ (255/35 ZR20 97Y) and have just spent the morning getting prices on replacing the two at the rear. 

So far the best quote I am getting is £539.50 fitted from Kwik Fit (Pirelli), so I would be interested to know how much you paid, and if they are cheaper, where from?

Thanks

I eventually got the tyres from ASDA tyres - ordered online and they were delivered to and fitted by my local garage.

Really good value - Pirelli P Zero J 255/35 R20 97Y fitted and balanced etc for £475.08 inc vat.

Worth a go if anyone is looking.

Have you tried Oponeo (http://www.oponeo.co.uk)

I'm just tossing up between Pirelli and Nokian winter tyres for my beast.

The costs are very competitive, and local fitting is just £15 a corner

….. and if anyone has any views on either of these brands of tyre, I would really appreciate it.

As things stand, the Nokian's have the best reviews

Geoff

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Bit late I know but there's a lot of myth around tyres. I learned this a few years back. Money was a bit tight so I thought I'd experiment with cheaper tyres. Not cheap ditch finders and spent a lot of time checking reviews but not big brands. Put federals on my E270 Mercedes expecting they'd last no time and I'd have to adapt my driving style, I'd learn my lesson and return to continental.

Never happened. Grip was the same and they lasted the same amount of time. I'm sure Hamilton or Alonso may have been able to tell the difference on a track but I couldn't on the M1.

The only problem was that the Federals were a bit noisy. On recommendation, swapped to Khumo ku31s at the next Change and haven't looked back. Smooth, quiet and grippy. All tyres, be they continental,Bridgestone, federal or Khumo, all lasted around 20,000 miles.

But then that's the thing. They were unknown at the time. As they've become more popular the price has gone up. When I got the first set, my tyre supplier frowned. Now they're considered mainstream and they recommend them. The first ones were £75 a corner. The last set I bought were £110. So I swapped to Gt Radial based on wet grip grading and noise, then price. They were fine too.

My XF has Dunlops and the supplying dealer put new ones on the back for me but when I go to change them I won't be paying £240 a corner for the privilege. It's so much easier these days too, with these new gradings. Often the cheaper brands score better than the bigger ones.

Just go on my tyres.com and order by wet grip scores. You'd be surprised.

Went to put tyres on the last Freelander. Wanted a brand as it's for the wife and I won't take chances with her car. Set a fair budget and started the review trawl. Aside from Michelin which were out of my price range, everyone else got poor reviews. Carried on digging, going cheaper and came across General tire. Rave reviews. General is huge in the states but unknown here, so cheap. Bought a set and they were true to their reviews. Excellent.

There are nasty tyres out there so caveat emptor, but a bit of common sense and effort and you can save considerable sums for no Discernible cost.

just did a quote from tyresonthedrive.com

Jaguar XF  Tyre Size
255/35 R20 97

Quantity and Fitting

Select number of tyres and when you’d like them fitted.

Tyres: Multi tyre discount when you buy 2 or more tyres.

Fitting: Choose 2 or more days for additional savings.

I need

and I’d like them fitted

Our prices are fully inclusive of valve, balance, disposal, VAT and fitting at your home or office

Do not go with Triangle tyres! I have these on the rear of my S type, not through choice, bought with them on.

They are cheap for a reason, the road noise under load is awful and again whether it is due to the compound on some roads it feels like the roads are corrugated.

Really not recommended.

I have since done a search on line and found that a there are a lot of complaints, grumbles etc. not a tyre I would use again.

Thanks

Martin

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid Wanli like the plague, one of the very few times I've ever taken tyres with 5mm+ of tread off a car. Not bad in the dry but absolutely terrifying in the wet.

The back end came round whilst coasting in to a bend.

Now have Goodyear F1s fitted and feel much safer. 

I'm a bit skeptical about manufacturers recommendations. I always wonder how much is technical evaluation and how much a financial and marketing arrangement. If a tyre manufacturer supplies a few thousand tyres cheap to a manufacturer then many people will replace with the same again as that's what the manufacturer approves. One cost sale generates hundreds of full price sales down the line. I'm sure Jaguar wouldn't recommend or fit a bad tyre but that doesn't mean it's any better than the alternatives.

Different people look for different characteristics in their tyres. So will tolerate more noise for greater grip. Others want a more pliant ride etc. no one size fits all.

Hence, aside from a very few cheap brands, most tyres will be fine for most people and one mans wine etc.

on pirellis, I had them on my first merc. So I replaced them with the same again. After all, whilst they didn't seem to last well, that's what merc fitted so that's what's best for the car. I then found the spare was a Dunlop. Someone had put pirellis on but clearly not the factory.

After that I just chose what I liked and what fitted my budget.

Hi All

I have been looking at web sites for prices on tyres and have liked the Goodyear F1 Asametric as they get a B rating for economy and on wet roads also 68/69 for noise, But was surprised that tyres bought on the Web could be 2Years Old and they seem to think this is acceptable is this because you get a lower Price.

Regards

Tom

But was surprised that Tyres bought on the Web could be 2Years Old and they seem to think this is acceptable is this because you get a lower Price.

Is this a problem?

I regularly buy from blackcircles and recently ASDA of all people.

I haven't had a problem yet but can tyres "go off"?

Mike

Is this a Problem

I have read that tyres should be replaced after Five or Six years due to the Tyre Compound loosing it,s flexability so do you count the years from when the tyres hit the road.Or do you loose Two Years due to Storeage my x type is five years old now, the Pirellis have a crack round the Tyre wall about 15-18 mm down from tyre tread, looking at what to replace them with.

Regards

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi, i'm in the same situation. I need 2 back tyres for my XF 3.0D, tyre size is slightly different at 245/45/R18.

Don't know whether to go for Dunlop SP Sport 01 or Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT. Been to local garage and there is not much difference in the price of these tyres at £130/£135 per tyre fitted.

Also noticed online Vredesein Ultrac Vorti tyres are recommended but know very little about these tryes.

Any advice appreciated.