New XF Gear selector problems

tommyjag

Hi

Just bought a new XF Jag but in the firts month I am having problems with the gear selector. When starting the engine it rises up and then goes down and stays down. This can happen three or four times in a row. Obviously you cant drive away and it has left me stranded for 10 -20 minutes at a time. The dealer is looking at it but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Hi Well it turned out to be a faulty gear selector motor. Hopefully the prompt replacement by the dealer will cure the problem for ever. As this is my first JAC after 16 years of BMW's hopefully it is not a portent of what might come.

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the Club, Steve.

Any new car, particularly one with sophisticated electronics, can have hiccups.

Warranties can usually sort those issues out.

In 1972 I had a company car delivered by the dealer.  It had 5 dents in it, and the lights and indicators did not work, and the radial tyres as specified were all cross ply.  But dealers are much better now!

Enjoy your Jaguar.

Regards 

Peter.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I've just bought a 2012 XF and after 2 days have foudn the gear selector to be tempremental, firstly not retracting into the cntre console when the engine is turned off - this 'self-resolved' after leaving for a while, then re-starting/stopping, then this morning the gear selector didn't rise up when I started the engine ... more of a concern as I couldn't select drive ! (I did find I could still turn the selector even while retracted into the console ... so was not stranded) ... is this a common problem ? I'll be contacting the dealer as the car came with 2 yrs parts/labour warranty.

Welcome to the Club Kevin.

I don't know a lot about the XF gear change selector, as my s type has just the old fashioned gear lever with the Jaguar J gate arrangement.

I would be inclined to call into the dealer -- main dealer ? - as it is under warranty.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,  yes its from a main dealer (Listers, Droitwich), though things seem to be working properly again now ... clearly there must be some underlying issue. Will see how things go for a while before contacting the dealer.

Would appreciate any experience from other XF drivers, is the gear selector usually fairly reliable? has anyone had similar problems ? (it sounds different to the original posters problem, but I guess could be same cause (faulty gear selector motor).

Hi

I originally raised this topic and since the faulty gear selector was replaced (or faulty relay) I have not experienced any problems but even on mine the problem was intermittent. A week could go by with no problems and then it would reappear. I would get it replaced or one day you may find yourself facing a brick wall in a car park and no way of getting out. If the staff at the dealer dont believe you video it. They didnt belive me at first until I showed the video. Since then (touch wood) no problem with the car which has to be one of the best long journey cruisers around.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I had an issue with a 2.2d XF 2012 MY auto. Twice I have for a few minutes sat with the car in Park then selected Drive to move away and had no drive. I had to shut down and Restart to rectify the problem. The main Stealer has looked at the car and been unable to pinpoint the problem. They tell me that they have "reset" the car and hope that will solve the problem. Luckily it has only happened in a parked up situation but I worry that it might happen when in traffic. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I welcome any feedback please.

Just for reference, it does say in the manual that you can rotate the gear selector in the lowered position if you can't get it to rise and it will still work.

Not ideal obviously, but better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere

Is your gearbox 6 or 8 speed? The 6 speed was around for a while and I  don't know of widespread problems.  There was a "recaĺl" ie selectors replaced during routine servicing around 2011/2012 because they got suck in park and would not rise when the engine was started.

My 6 speed auto on a 3 litre diesel XF has done 193000 miles without a glitch.  It's supposed to be sealed for life but I got the filter and transmission fluid changed recently as nothing lasts forever. 

You might find the problem just goes away. There is so much electronic kit on these cars there's always a bit that's not wide awake every  morning. I have had  climate control not available,  sat navigation not available,  adaptive cruise control not available, TPMS faults etc etc.  All these problems have sorted themselves and once past 170,000 miles most have not reoccured. 

Paul G 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hello

I am having a slightly different problem.  after driving for about 1hr when move the gear selector to P or R the lights go out on the centre console.  I can still see what gear is selected on the dash board but not on the gear selector and the car seems to drive ok.

has anyone else experienced this

gear.jpg

• 11 months later...

Old thread but did you solve this issue with the indicator lights?

On 9/20/2017 at 4:57 PM, JTraynor said:

hello

I am having a slightly different problem.  after driving for about 1hr when move the gear selector to P or R the lights go out on the centre console.  I can still see what gear is selected on the dash board but not on the gear selector and the car seems to drive ok.

has anyone else experienced this

gear.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello ! Have an XF 's' 3 L diesel auto . Bought 2nd had just over 2 years ago . 60K . Problem , if it is one , find that remains in 1st for a long time , and 2nd .... decided to resort to paddle to stop excessive roar and fuel consumption . The auto works ok in all other respects . Local gge has checked it . Thinks it is sensore / electrical......

Loathe to take to main dealer  , a) hassle b) potential over cost , when they ' find fault ' !

If anyone has had this problem , be interested to hear , and how resolved . Thanks

Hi Andrew and welcome to the club.

I don't know the XF gearbox system, but I do know that the gearbox can be fiddled with, --  a bit like pressing the button  on the s type which holds the car in  lower gears giving you extra speed when accelerating.

Just a guess.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Andrew,

Seems we have similar cars! Mine has just crept over 62K miles; I bought it just over a year ago.

Anyway, as for holding onto gears... My experience is that the car doesn't rev very high at all. rarely over 1500-2500rpm unless I go for 'S' rather than 'D', in which case it's happy to rev to the redline at every opportunity it gets. I understand that this probably isn't much help (unless you regularly go into 'S' mode!), but hopefully it reassures you that it isn't normal behaviour to overrev in 'D' mode.

Hopefully the bill won't be too eye-watering!

Cheers,
Jon

• 3 years later...