Turbo Intercooler problems on XF

maccasa

Just had a problem with the intercooler splitting - sudden pop/bang and the "£restricted performance" came on dashboard. Turns out to be a split intercooler - the welded seam had come apart. The new (improved Part was £210 and it is now being fitted but that is a bug job, needing the front bumper and parts to be removed. I await the bill!!

Anyone had this problem? I'm getting various comments from other sites that this is quite a well known problem and a new part has been designed for the replacement. I think I might be taking this up with Jaguar as the car is only just 3 years old and done 42,000 miles.

• 3 months later...

• 2 months later...

I've just been quoted £980 to fix the same problem - loud bang on the motorway and then 'restricted performance' in red. I think Jaguar need to take what is obviously a design fault seriously, particularly as they had amazing results in the JD Power survey saying that the XF was really reliable. This is a shocking way to treat customers, and will inevitably result in people thinking twice about buying a car that has a built-in liability to blow. The car has done 52000 miles and was bought new - probably won't buy a Jag again. Shame.

Mine cost £570 at a Jaguar garage (not dealership) I complained to Jaguar and they gave me a £250 parts voucher as compensation - so it eased the pain!. They still wont admit there is (was) a fault but the new ones have a redesigned joint. Unfortunately my XFS was written off 5 weeks ago by a lady in a merc. coming in the opposite direction, that decided my lane was better then hers. (Always hated Mercs anyway). Take delivery of my Caviar V6 S Portfolio next week.

It is always worth writing a letter  ---  get the Managing Director's name and write to him personally.  Sometimes they will offer to pay a contribution towards the bill.

But welcome to the Club, Paul and Neil.

I hope you get something sorted out.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Proud XF -S owner BUT

Jag XF portfolio S 59 plate 33500 miles .Intercooler has broken .The plastic plenum chamber on the outlet side of the intercooler has split its seam  almost all the way round .Could see the split on the top side just with bonnet open .It appears that the seam was not actually welded (plastic) nor does there appear to be any reminants of any glue being there either .

Have been told there is no redesigned intercooler so have just bought one from Jaguar dealer £230 ish .Comparing the old and new they look identical even upto a potential splitting seam on the chamber .

IS THERE A RE-DESIGNED intercooler ? and how can i tell if I have bought an old one or a new one

If anyone can help  Thanks

Dealer says it is out of warranty

Welcome to the Club, Peter.

I have not had experience of this problem, but I will look around and see if there is an aftermarket redesign, but it will be like locking the door after the horse has bolted.

Regards,

Peter. [the Old one].

Peter

Thanks for the try.I have just bought and fitted a new one from Jaguar dealers .part number jc2z 11675 for £196.59 plus VAT (£236).

The only difference was on the intercooler inlet side and not on the outlet which was the side that bust.When buying i bought a new inlet gasket  as advised but they forgot to sell me the 2 new M6 bolts and nuts required for the inlet chamber (40 mm  long) .The new intercooler does NOT have any captive nuts .

Just waiting to buy some new antifreeze but  shopping around as Halfords want about £60 for the 12.5 Litres .Can anyone recomend a cheaper supplier ?

Also have had to change the drivers side window regulator JC2Z 26989 £113.47 plus VAT (136) but i'll look on other forums to see if this again is a common problem

Hi Peter,

Antifreeze  --  Halfords give a 15% discount to Premium members [see Membership on the top bar]

Also Euro parts will give up to 25% discount with the code you can find by clicking on when you are a premium member.

Euro part have 160 stores but you can also order online.  I think they are cheaper than Halfords.

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 months later...

I was recently contacted by my local Jaguar dealers with a request that I return my car (2013 XF)  to them for a non safety related recall. I understand that the recall is to check and possibly replace the intercooler bolts. I hadn't  recognized a problem but, thinking about it, had noticed a slight whooshing noise under light acceleration - could this be indicative of this issue? If so are there likely to be any long term problems?

This is my first Jaguar after a succession of BMW's it's 19 months old and I'm loving it.    

• 11 months later...

I have just had the same problem on my 2011 50,000 mile XFS without driving hard. It is obviously a regular fault as the replacement at over £200 was immediately ex stock. Worse still I purchased a used car warrantee but it is restricted to moving parts and those containing Oil not air. Even worse the separate inlet (or outlet) had been replaced before but was not showing on the history.

There is clearly a fault in the original manufacture as the split in the joint between the two halves opens only under pressure or with a knife inserted. Is this part still used on the new model?

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Portfolio S and have just had the same problem, looks like a seam has split. I was in the middle of Wales at the time. Cost £240 for the part from jag dealer but they unable to fit for about a week. Asked small local garage and they did the job within a couple of days and only charge £140 to fit, approx 4 hours work. 

Have recently had a problem with the passenger side window, cable snapped, looks like it had rusted through, another £140 for part plus fitting.  

• 2 months later...

Hi

Have a xfs 59 plate with 33300 miles on the clock and have just had my 2nd intercooler go bang on me! The 1st went at 21000 miles in Oct 2013 and since then have added 12000 miles. The 2nd went as I accelerated onto the M4 this morning. When I got off the motorway I looked and sure enough the end had split away from the body. Will be having a conversation with the service manager at my Jaguar dealership where I bought it in the morning!!

Welcome to the Club, Eddie.

It looks to me that there has to be a fault with the intercooler that was fitted.  Could it be an inferior part?

Stern words with the service manager!

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Peter.

Regarding my intercooler. The first blew at 20000 miles this on at 13000 miles. My dealer has come back to me today and told me that after speaking to Jaguar regarding the intercooler they have offered to pay 25% of the cost of a replacement part. The cost of the repair is £588 and Jaguar will pay £147 which still leaves me a bill of £441. I told the guy on the phone, in no uncertain terms, that as Jaguar in my opinion had sold me goods not fit for purpose as this intercooler had only lasted 13000 miles, that he should go back to them and tell them I expect them to pay 100% of the bill and not to insult me with their derisery offer. Am now awaiting Jaguars reply!

• Like 1

Hi Eddie,

Jaguar will have had the part supplied to them by a manufacturer of intercoolers, and will no doubt send it back to that manufacturer with a strong complaint that it was not fit for purpose. The manufacturer will not wish to offend Jaguar and will replace it without charge.

I would like to hear Jaguar's reply [and the manufacturers]

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

Harwoods the dealer that I bought the XF from and who have been servicing it since 2013 and who I took the car to when it went bang, spoke to Jaguar again and they came back and offered to pay 90% of the repair. They stated that if they paid the full price of the repair I would not be able to have the warranty on the part. By paying the 10% I now have a 2 year warrenty on the new intercooler. I picked up the car this afternoon and payed the £60 bill. While paying I spoke to the service receptionist who confirmed my vin was not in the range that had a recall and confirmed basically what you said that Jaguar will claim recompense from their supplier for the blown intercooler.

Just hope this intercooler lasts a bit longer than the last.

Regards

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

A bit early, but much to d today while the weather is [hopefully] going to be a bit better.

That sounds like a result!

Suppliers are under pressure, and rightly so, to provide high quality parts.  I was once at a supplier of the steel that is used for petrol tanks who showed me a tank that Had been returned by Rover because it had holes in it, which is not good for a petrol tank.  The cost to that steel supplier was quite high, as they had to trace the steel that was used by them for the special coating to inhibit rust, An investigation found that it had come from Port Talbot, and the specific 16 tonne coil of steel had to be traced and all the places where parts of it had gone to had also to be traced.  A lot of petrol tanks had to be recalled. It cost a few shillings!

Lesson learned 

Happy motoring!

Peter.

• 1 year later...

Oh Joy! after having my XFS written off and not long after having a new Intercooler fitted (see previous posts!), I bought another XFS 2011 with 50,000 on the clock. Just got to 58,000 and this one has gone as well - exactly the same - split around the top of the plastic cover. I am going to attempt a repair using fibreglass on the split joint and a wire wrapping! if I can get at it easy!

I am disgusted - It's clearly a design fault and a letter to Jag goes out tomorrow!

3 hours ago, maccasa said:

Oh Joy! after having my XFS written off and not long after having a new Intercooler fitted (see previous posts!), I bought another XFS 2011 with 50,000 on the clock. Just got to 58,000 and this one has gone as well - exactly the same - split around the top of the plastic cover. I am going to attempt a repair using fibreglass on the split joint and a wire wrapping! if I can get at it easy!

I am disgusted - It's clearly a design fault and a letter to Jag goes out tomorrow!

Just had a l@@k on eBay there's a company called ''Race..parts '' They have a new XF intercooler priced at £100.47 free P&P

18 hours ago, Old_Growler said:

Just had a l@@k on ebay there's a company called ''Race..parts '' They have a new XF intercooler priced at £100.47 free P&P

Thanks for the info but I cant find it - can you give me a ref number?

• 9 months later...
On 15/01/2017 at 4:39 PM, Old_Growler said:

I am going to attempt a repair using fibreglass on the split joint and a wire wrapping! if I can get at it easy!

Hi did you manage to fix this?  If so how?  
I have mine off the car and was thinking of sealing with silicone and holding together with self tapping screws!!!
It would be easier if it had come off completely, but the bottom is stuck fast!!