Advice on S Type diesel please.

White Wing

Hi guys,

I have been looking to buy a S Type diesel jag but I like to do my research first so have joined this forum hoping to get some advice prior to a purchase.

Can any of you advise me on common problems to look out for ?  Is high milage a problem with these engines?

I have owned several Rover diesel 75's over the years and have got to know probably most of the problems associated with them but now I am looking for a change. I have owned a XJ40 Sovereign in the past which I loved but it was a little too thirsty on the fuel. I hope I have posted this request correctly as this is the first time I have done this.

Thanks,

John.

First, Welcome to the club, John.

I have had an S-Type diesel for just 6 months and I am delighted with it.

I did my research too, and the main thing I found out was that the belts have to be changed at 105,000miles, so with a high mileage car you will have to check for that.

I notice that you live in the West Midlands, as do I, and if you would like a chat about the S Type, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

thanks very much for that info. Most of the cars I am looking at are around the 100k miles so will look out for that.

I assume the belt change is a time consuming job. Do you have any idea of the cost if I need to get it done myself?

Regards,

John.

Hi John,

A main dealer will charge quite a lot, and I guess that it would be close to four figures.  I did hear from the mechanic who has service my cars for about 11 years that the easiest was to do it is to take the engine out, and is probably a ten hour job.I would be inclined to check whether the job has been done on a high mileage car, as what might appear to be a good price at first glance might not be so,

Regards,

Peter.

Well I now have my S Type Jaguar and pleased so far. It has a few issues to sort out.

1st is the handbrake does not work at all - totally dead. Can anybody tell me if the trip computer is standard on all models as mine does not? Just wondering if there may be a link with the first fault?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, all help appreciated. :)

John.

Hi John,

What model have you got?  [s, SE, or Sport].

It is certainly standard on the SE and Sport, and I think it is on the basic S model, though there are not many of those around.

The electronic handbrake  is also standard, although it can stick.

If it is dead, it could just be the warning light, as when you go into drive or reverse it automatically disengages.

Does any message come up in the message centre?

Peter.

Hi John,

What model have you got?  [s, SE, or Sport].

It is certainly standard on the SE and Sport, and I think it is on the basic S model, though there are not many of those around.

The electronic handbrake  is also standard, although it can stick.

If it is dead, it could just be the warning light, as when you go into drive or reverse it automatically disengages.

Does any message come up in the message centre?

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have the SE model. I have the button at the end of the indicator stalk but it does nothing.

I have no messages in the message centre at all. The only digital display I have is the  milage on the tacho display and the time on the speedo display.

What warning light do you refer to?

John.

Hi Peter,

I have the SE model. I have the button at the end of the indicator stalk but it does nothing.

I have no messages in the message centre at all. The only digital display I have is the  milage on the tacho display and the time on the speedo display.

What warning light do you refer to?

John.

Hi John,

My car is also an SE, so it must be a fault as the trip computer  is a standard fitting.

The waring light will be in the message centre saying "Handbrake fault"  --  the other indication is that a red light come on on the instrument panel

when the brake is engaged and goes off when disengaged.

A thought just occurred to me that it could be a fuse --  which could also be the same problem with the trip computer.

There are three fuse boxes, boot, engine bay and passenger compartment.

Have you got the owners manual for that model.

Peter.

Hi John,

My car is also an SE, so it must be a fault as the trip computer  is a standard fitting.

The waring light will be in the message centre saying "Handbrake fault"  --  the other indication is that a red light come on on the instrument panel

when the brake is engaged and goes off when disengaged.

A thought just occurred to me that it could be a fuse --  which could also be the same problem with the trip computer.

There are three fuse boxes, boot, engine bay and passenger compartment.

Have you got the owners manual for that model.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have the owners manual and have just been out and checked the fuses. All ok.

The only brake light that comes on is the small brake symbol for the lamp test on switch on, then it goes off.

When i move the gear select in and out of park I can hear a relay operating from behind the dash, I would imagine this is for the park brake but nothing happens?

John.

Hi John,

Is the handbrake not engaging?  Or is it just the light not coming on when it is engaged?

On the trip computer I am a bit mystified, although there are some instruction in the handbook about resetting it.

I like in Sutton Coldfield and if you would like a comparison of what happens with my car, just give me a shout.

Regards

Peter. 

Hi John,

Is the handbrake not engaging?  Or is it just the light not coming on when it is engaged?

On the trip computer I am a bit mystified, although there are some instruction in the handbook about resetting it.

I like in Sutton Coldfield and if you would like a comparison of what happens with my car, just give me a shout.

Regards

Peter. 

Hi Peter,

The handbrake does not engage. No light comes on.

Its as though its not connected at all but fuses are ok. I can hear a relay operate when i engage and disenge park position with the gearstick.

I am not using the car on the road yet until I get the issue fixed.

Regards,

John.

Hi John,

Tomorrow when it is in daylight  ---  There is a box in the boot near the driver's side headlight cluster that is the control for the EHB.  The fatter wire resets the Handbrake.  Worth trying.

I have also just read that someone had a wire behind the dashboard that wore through which caused the same problem.

Another thing I have read is that a battery that is not producing the right voltage may affect some of the electronic equipment, so putting it on charge might also help which is a quick fix.

Anything that is at nil cost is worth trying first.

Regard,

Peter.

Hi John,

Tomorrow when it is in daylight  ---  There is a box in the boot near the driver's side headlight cluster that is the control for the EHB.  The fatter wire resets the Handbrake.  Worth trying.

I have also just read that someone had a wire behind the dashboard that wore through which caused the same problem.

Another thing I have read is that a battery that is not producing the right voltage may affect some of the electronic equipment, so putting it on charge might also help which is a quick fix.

Anything that is at nil cost is worth trying first.

Regard,

Peter.

Morniing Peter,

I have just been out and disconnected and then reconnected the hand brake module - no change.

I have noticed when switching on the ignition the Priority Indicator lamps do not come on? ( red & amber )  I would expect all the lamps to come on as a Bulb test upon switching the ignition on.

I have the engine runing when trying to operate the handbrake and battery voltage is at 14V so would not expect a voltage problem to be the cause unless poor connections along the looms somewhere.

Regards,

john.

Hi John,

The lamps should come on and the fact they don't must mean that that the devices are not connected.

The voltage is perfect at 14V, and I agree with you that is a poor or indeed no connection.

When I got my car [from Stratstone] the sales man told me that most drivers do not use the electronic handbrake as when in Park tha car is not going anywhere.  I wonder if a previous owner has disconnected it somehow.  I do use the handbrake myself because they would not put it on the car if it was not needed.

Regards 

Peter.

I have just checked to see if the message centre is working by opening the boot and starting the car. I have no messages! It is not working so any faults relating to the handbrake or anything else are not being displayed! Dont know if this is a genuine problem or wether some one has disabled it somewhere?

John.

Hi John,

The Owner's Handbook is not very helpful in this respect, but there is a technical guide available to download   --  www.jagrepair.com --- page 97  gives detail about resetting and disabling the message centre.

I do have a code reader, but if the message centre is disabled it would be of little use.

It does look as if the message centre has been disabled.  Maybe the previous owner could tell you something about it?

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi John,

The file I was referring to was not quite the one I sent you the details of.

Try      www.TG S-TYPEjagrepair.com

You should get a technical guide up, and check out page 97.  I will probably download and print it off even though it is directed at the USA and does not mention diesel engined cars.

But the electrical systems are more of less the same.

Let me know if I have got it right this time.

Regards,

Peter, 

Hi John,

I have checked back on a note I made against the TG reference and it does appear that the guide for an earlier [1999] model has been thrown up by the internet and not the one I originally saw.  Sorry for setting you on a wild goose chase.

I will have another look  --  being a pensioner I have a bit of time  -- and get back to you.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi John,

I have spent a couple of hours trawling for right information without a great deal of success.

However, on eBay there is an item that ought to be of use priced at £3.99 with free p&p -- Next Day delivery.

It is for the S Type Jaguar 2001 to 2004:   Jaguar S type Workshop service manual for trade garage car.  I thought of getting one but it is on disc and my car is a 2007 model.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter.

You will not believe what I have found today. When the sun was shining bright this morning upon the dash I noticed that the message centre was a different colour! Close inspection revealed black tape over the display! Some one has gone to a great deal of trouble to cover it up as the front dash has to come off, then clocks out and opened up, unbelievable!

A quick message to the seller and he just says he did not know about it?

I expect I will have some messages showing once the tape can be got off.

Hi John,

I have spent a couple of hours trawling for right information without a great deal of success.

However, on eBay there is an item that ought to be of use priced at £3.99 with free p&p -- Next Day delivery.

It is for the S Type Jaguar 2001 to 2004:   Jaguar S type Workshop service Manual for trade garage car.  I thought of getting one but it is on disc and my car is a 2007 model.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter I purchased one the other day but cant say I am too impressed with it. Most of the stuff on the disc can be downloaded for free.