Handbrake fault

ajf

My handbrake sticks on now and again. This only happens when I first start the car from cold!

By switching off the engine and locking the car it seems to reset itself.

Does anyone know why this happens and, if so how can I stop this?

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

I have had my 2.7d about 7 weeks now and also had problems with the handbrake. I like to do my own servicing so have sorted my own problem out.

If it is sticking on first my first checkI would be to remove the rear calipers and check they have not started to seize up. If they have you need to strip them down/ free them up  and wind the pistons all the way back in before re fitting. Disconnect the battery if you are going to do the work yourself and then when you finally reconnect it and switch on you will be asked to calibrate the handbrake from the message centre. If someone has changed the rear brake pads without winding back the pistons this can cause problems. The previous owner of my car had this problem but he just disconnected the brake cables at the calipers and ignored the problem. This is one of many problems I have had to deal with since having the Jag.

Hope this helps or at least gives you a pointer, it could be down to other things!

best of luck!

John.

Found this tip, don't know if it will be of any use but might be worth a try .

1. Reset the EPB module:

a. Switch off the ignition.

b. Disconnect the
battery for 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery.

2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times. 4. Confirm
that the message “NOT CALIBRATED” or “APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE ” is displayed on the instrument cluster message centre. This indicates that
the parking brake is in calibration mode.

5. Lightly press the foot brake pedal.

6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.

8. Release the foot brake.

9.Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the
instrument pack and that the“NOT CALIBRATED” message is no longer
displayed in the message centre.

10. Apply and release the EPB five
times to ensure no error is present.

ATB,

Trevor

Found this tip, don't know if it will be of any use but might be worth a try .

1. Reset the EPB module:

a. Switch off the ignition.

b. Disconnect the

battery for 30 seconds.

Reconnect the battery.

2. Start the engine.

3. Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times. 4. Confirm

that the message “NOT CALIBRATED” or “APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE ” is displayed on the instrument cluster message centre. This indicates that

the parking brake is in calibration mode.

5. Lightly press the foot brake pedal.

6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.

7. Release the parking brake.

8. Release the foot brake.

9.Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the

instrument pack and that the“NOT CALIBRATED” message is no longer

displayed in the message centre.

10. Apply and release the EPB five

times to ensure no error is present.

ATB,

Trevor

Definitely a good start Trevor!

If that does not help Tony then I would check the calipers. Problem these days is  jag dealers are so expensive with servicing and repairs it's prohibitive for some of us to use them so we do our own repairs, or at worse some don't.

This is where the service history is important but even that does not guarantee no problems.

Brakes are important but can be neglected.

John.

Hi John.

I have had the same problem  with my s type  2.7 diesel  ---  Handbrake Malfunction  pops us on the message centre, and the procedure I followed was not dissimilar to Trevor's suggestion.  I did post something about a week or so ago, and the solution I came to was to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes as it had happened before. Then do all the other bits when the battery was connected again.

My ultimate solution would be having a switch on the dashboard to reboot the computer when this happens.

Regards,

Peter.

I have sorted my problem of the hand brake sticking simply by fitting a new battery. My hand brake brake has'nt stuck once since. I'll keep all your other suggestions for future reference, just in case.

Tony

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

• 1 year later...

Hi I have just had the handbrake fault come up on my 2005 S Type. I tried all the very useful tips, disconnected the negative supply for 10 mins, charged battery, disconnected module etc etc. As a last resort before ringing a garage I followed the guy on YouTube who earthed a wire to car and put into small module connection and then put wire ( he had a electrical gizmo ) into the other module connection and then put other end of wire onto positive of battery and the ehb disengaged. His video is only about 90 secs but very informative.

• 11 months later...

S Type Jaguar Hand brake fault occurs when  engine is cold . 

1 Start car as usual 

2 If “hand  brake fault” appears ,keep engine running for approx 5 minutes.

3 Remove ignition key , when all dashboard lights disappear  reinsert key . Start  engine and the  hand brake should now release and you are now ready to go.

This would suggest the battery has not sufficient power to activate the electronic  park brake . Leaving the engine running will  give the battery an extra charge enough to release the brake. 

I don't often use the parkbrake, only if parked on an incline. When I stop the motor I will press the brake and push down the parkbrake lever then remove the key. This stops the parkbrake from being applied plus it isn't good practice to secure a cable with a gearbox. The calipers are a sliding single piston and they will seize on the 2 pins. Remove the calipers and grease the sliding pins, I do this every year. Low pads will also cause trouble with the parkbrake, a new brake pad will have about 9mm friction material.