ECU Tuning

msmicksmith

My son has just gone from his beloved performance car, to a family motor. He acquired a Grand Scenic 7 Seater. Big carrier required because their first is due as of yesterday. Loads of kit to be carried from now on. It's on an 2011 plate. 1500 deisal. He is going to map it at the same time as me.

Celtic have got back to me now with a two vehicles, same address location. £250 each. I am to call them on Tuesday and book it.

My X type sport SE seems to be running quieter now that I've added the Millers and the Castrol 2 stroke Racing Oil.

I did think of just trying the Millers first, but went for both in the end.

The noticeable quieter running to me is at start and idle. Can't wait for the retune now.

Will post results here in due course.

Exactly what I found with all the cars I've done it to. Quieter almost instantly, especially from a cold start, and more response. Don't over do the 2stroke. You'll find it'll smoke a bit if you do. If you do, just run the tank empty, refuel and start again. I tend to not put that much in now, but it definitely helps with lubrication. I removed my EGR valve at the same time and gave it a clean. It was pretty clean anyway, but couldn't hurt.

Celtic offered me the same 2 car deal but in the end I only did the one car..... mine!

Wasn't a massive improvement initially, but after a good drive with some fast moments in it, the difference is brilliant. The ECU has a self-learning phase so initially it's all on default parameters, but it quickly learns how you drive, and afterwards you'll have a big grin in no time! The uphill torque is superb!

Nice. I've not noticed any smoke in the mirror, but that could be down to the way I drive. In view of what you mention, I'll use the Millers in the correct ratio (50 ml to a full tank), but I'll try the 2 stroke at 20 to 25 ml to a full tank.

Just can't wait to get the tune booked now. Easter is holding me back....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Celtic booked for 22nd. Can't wait.

Do I have to let my garage know of the remapping, for when they service it?

And should I mention I am adding Millers and a touch of 2 stroke?

There should be no need to tell your dealer any of that. A service is just a replacing of fluids and filters and checking on other components such as brakes etc. The ecu and its programming will make no odds to it at all, neither will what you put in the fuel tank, so long as it's what's meant to be in it. Millers and 2 stroke in correct ratios won't cause any issues with a dealer or a service. Dealers may sometimes create problems where warranties are concerned if you're putting something in the tank that they don't support but then they'll take issue with an ecu remap too so I personally wouldn't bother simply because it's unnecessary.

Thanks for that. I add the millers in correct ratio. But took your previous advice, and to avoid any potential rear end smoke, (although I never noticed any, anyway), I now only add 25ml of 2 stroke, farther than the 50ml to a full tank.

Running really well and tonnes of power when needed, to what I'm used to.

Looking forward to the remap on the 22nd. Now I've had the car for nearly a month, I have a good feel for it, so should be in a position to detect the difference after remap.

My son and I, have been debating whether we should advise our insurance companies of our remaps.

He feels inclined not to bother, but I am more cautious, since any modifications should be advised. He believes that it may just be an excuse to increase premiums, and as he says, it's not as if he has removed an engine, and replaced it with a more powerful one.

Any thoughts?

Insurers are likely to refuse to pay out of they find the car has been modified and not declared, however, ecu remapping is virtually undetectable. They'd have to download the software and analyse it minutely to detect any changes and if they're prepared to do that then you've done something extremely serious on the roads and will most likely be either dead or seriously screwed anyway and that'll be the least of your worries!

On the other hand, many won't be too bothered. You might find that the premium change is extremely minor. Perhaps worth enquiring 'for your mate'........

When you do get it remapped, you might find initially that the performance increase is barely noticeable and may question why you spent the money. Take it for a good thrashing and see the difference after the ECU adjusts accordingly!

Report back the grin factor!

• 3 weeks later...

Celtic Tuning did a great job. All I can say about the remap....... Is ........

W O W ! ! ! !

I thought it was quick before. Now, it's like a jet taking off.

To be honest, it's a little frightening....... The front end lifts 3 or 4 inches as I accelerate, never noticed that before. From 20mph, round a small round about, opening onto a straight open country road near me, I punched it in 2nd gear, and it hit 45 instantly; up to 3rd, and to the floor again......65 in a flash........ I would never have believed it.

As for MPG..... Exceeded expectations. Used to see 52.5 mpg ave on the trip at a constant 56 mph. Straight Dual carriageway, on the level. Cruise control engaged. Reset once settled. Always 52.5 ave mph on the same stretch.

After the remap. Same procedure, same piece of road.

61.8 ave mph ! ! ! !

Fantastic ! ! ! !

You sound a bit pleased, Steve.

I have had my car Terracleaned today, and although I have not been on a long run I can notice the difference.

I will have a long run tomorrow.

Peter.

I said you'd be pleased with it Steve. Makes such a massive difference doesn't it!

Absolutely love giving mine a bootfull in 3rd and 4th!

On the downside, my power steering pump seals popped yesterday! Found a decent recon pump for £65 so waiting for that then will get my hands dirty again. In tge meantime, it drives just makes a bit of a row!

Hi Steve,

Terraclean not available for diesels??

I have the 2.7 litre Diesel version of the S Type.  The machine they use is slightly different from the petrol version, but it does seem to do more for the diesel engine than it does for the petrol engine.

One member of the club was told by a main dealer that he possibly needed new fuel injectors in his X Type, but he had the engine terracleaned  and it cured the problems. His statement was "The best £96 I have ever spent".

Regards,

Peter.

No probs. Another beneficial treatment for the diesels is to remove and wash out the intercooler. A pain in the !Removed! to do but well worth the effort. It gets clogged up with oily gunk much like the egr valve and its performance is reduced as a result. Cleaning out with a parrafin wash restores its cooling ability. Cooler air is denser. Denser air has more molecules of air. More air on the chambers equals a bigger bang. Bigger bang equals better performance. Cooler intake temperatures also results in a safer engine running temperature and less liklihood of failures due to excess heat

• 3 weeks later...

I should first state that I do not have any shares in BP and never previously having owned a diesel car I assumed that the black smoke from the exhaust on kickdown was normal. This topic has been very informative and unable to source Millers diesel additive here, on Friday I filled my near empty (red bar) X-type with a full tank of BP's Ultimate and I am amazed at the difference in performance almost immediately and no more black smoke. It cost 24 cents a litre more than the diesel from my Intermarche supermarket but now that I have experienced the improvement in performance and a smoother running engine, I think I might buy some BP shares.

I went up to the Lake District last week and after a run through the scenic route and a little bit on the motorway the car showed 36.2 mpg.  On the return journey, the car was showing 42.8 mpg doing 70 mph with Cruise control on when we came to a deluge, followed by 30 miles of stop start between exits 21 to 18 on the M6 which reduced the mpg to 40.2.

I used Shell Expensive fuel [they call it some fancy name] and I was very pleased with the way the engine performed.

The 2.7 Diesel engine is an excellent unit and the more expensive fuel plus a Terraclean is paying dividends.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 3.0 litre petrol. If I were to use CT's services would I see any discernible differences?? Is this only really a turbo related modification? I'm curious. But the 3.0 litre lump pulls well already. But any reasonable improvement would be worth £295.

Regards

Andy

I think the CT website has the bhp and torque figures from standard to whichever remap you want. That shoukd give you some idea of the gains in actual output. Mine was a 25% increase but it also moved the power band from 1400-2800 rpm to 1100- 4000 rpm so the delivery of that increase was over was over a much wider range. But mine is the 2.2 Diesel.

Whether the turbo vs non turbo difference is as wide or as big is not something I personally know. CT were excellent at responding to each and every one of my emails though, so I'd suggest asking them for their advice on that.

It was the best 295 quid I've spent on a car though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a 2.2 diesel and have thought very deep probably to much about a remap as I am concerned about the possible damage that could be caused and as my car has now done 105000 I am really cautious about possible insurance repercussions. Is it really that beneficial? Please help put my mind at rest.

• 3 months later...

Just had my 2.0d remapped by Celtic Tuning.

The engine was a little on the sickly (!) side before the remapp, but a new EGR valve and a new inter-cooler hose which had a slight split in it has made the world of difference.

The car now goes as though it's on steroids...

Fantastic

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 2/13/2014 at 11:39 PM, msmicksmith said:

It's not the oil that makes the engine quieter. The oil just adds more lubrication to the fuel delivery system and the valves and seats. Modern diesel is low sulphur and has various additives depending on which you buy. Supermarket diesel lacks the quantity of additives that you would get from say BP and as a result burns differently. The oil just gives a bit extra lubrication which isn't a bad thing obviously. Most diesel these days doesn't have the lubricating properties that it used to have 10 years ago thanks to EU emissions regulations. By using the 2 stroke oil, it is designed to be burned in the combustion chamber and using the fully synthetic, low ash stuff you get fewer, if any, deposits in the exhaust system, EGR valve, catalytic converter etc.

The Millers EcoMax is what does the quietening and gives the extra engine response by raising the cetane level of the fuel. With a higher cetane level the fuel ignites more readily and burns faster, hotter and more completely. Because of this, it makes the engine run smoother, quieter and more responsively. Just the same as unleaded having a 92, 95 and a 97 Octane rating. The higher the Octane, the more combustible the fuel.

"92, 95 and a 97 Octane rating. The higher the Octane, the more combustible the fuel.". Sorry but the opposite is true..  That 'cackle' you hear from a diesel engine is in fact the sound of the fuel detonating...  that's why pistons etc in diesels are a lot thinker so they can deal with that.  Diesels rely on the 'flash point' of the diesel to ignite... with a petrol engine, this does happen and it's a really bad thing (pinking/knocking) one of the easiest ways and usually the first thing done to get more power from a petrol engine it to skim the block/head to up the compression, however this can have a detrimental effect because LOW octane has a LOWER flash point..  or, it will detonate at a lower temps/compression and you'll get knocking/pinking. basically, high octane fuel will burn slower and detonate less readily under the same temps and pressure/compression as low octane. you can run a standard engine (relatively low compression) on low and high octane fuel, but I wouldn't recommend running high compression engines on low octane as it will most likely detonate/knock and  cause damage...  in fact it I suspect that with modern cars where the advance and retarding and fuel ratios are constantly adjusted you'd find less mileage running the latter on low octane as I would suspect the increase in temps will cause the ECU to increase mixture and r e t a r d the timing in order to save the valve (exhaust in particular) and the cat. Now, with diesel the opposite is true. 

Edited by Stumpyhead79
a word i used was removed because it was taken out of context

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread so here is a more recent update on what's been recommended above. A year ago I purchased a beautiful 2008 2.2d estate with FSH and 2 previous owners, only 67'000m on the clock. I have filled up with Shell V-Power only with the addition of the Millers Eco Boost and the Castrol 2-stroke Oil.

It runs quietly, smoothly and no smoke whatsoever!!! I have no comparison unfortunately as I've done this since I purchased it but I'll continue to carry on this routine.   ECU remap from CT is next on the agenda later this year!!

I'm loving my first Jaguar, all my future cars will now be Jaaag's, I just wish I had bought one earlier. 

Mark