buying Xtype diesel

goldtop

Hi I am new Jaguars, and want to spend approx 3.5K on an X type.
what are  the things to look out for when buying one?

And would I be right in thinking a diesel x type is the most economical  model for 3.5k?

Welcome to the Club, Dave.

I had a 2.5 L AWD Petrol X Type and it was a great car.  I could get 33mpg on a long run.

But the diesel engined X Types are really economical in comparison, and if you do long runs you will get well past 40 mpg.

Regards,

Peter.

Thank you Peter, yes I've noticed the deisel X type can do up to 62mpg on a long run,  and most of my travelling is long motorway journeys'' does anyone know what to look out for going wrong,on an x type diesel about a 2004/5/or 6 age???

Hi Dave, 

I have had a look around and apart from the odd gripe "Jaguar main dealer couldn't find out what it was " etc, most reviews speak very highly of both 2.0 litre and 2.2 litre diesels.

There are complaints about boot size, and that the estate is not big enough for a genuine estate.  Contrary to that, the saloon boot is one of the larger boots for Jaguar of that era, and some reviewers praise the load capacity of the estate.

Basically I would look for a car with a full service history, that is also clean and well looked after and as low a mileage as possible, although I have seen some with well into 6 figures that are still going strong.

My X Type was a one owner car after a year as a Demonstrator, and that owner was very picky  I was very sorry to see it go. Stolen/carjacked.

So I would look for a good looking car that has been well looked after and in which everything works, with a proper spare wheel, and if you can get one from a main dealer you will get a warranty.

Regards,

Peter. 

Check the front springs aren't corroded as they are prone to snapping. Mine did but it's an easy repair if you have the tools and springs aren't costly.

I'm fitting rear anti-roll bar bushes today and am ordering the front ones to do next week. That will cure the slight body roll mine has. Given that mine is the 2.2D Sport, the cornering is a shade wallowy so the  bushes will correct that. Again, an easy repair.

Check out my post from last month regarding ECU tuning and fuel additives - http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/9483-ecu-tuning/

Some good info there regarding keeping the engine internals clean and the EGR etc.

Apart from that the only thing I'd recommend is that you check panel fit on any X-Type you view. The bonnet of some doesn't fit around the headlights as neatly as it should and is an indication of a repair job. It should fit perfectly around the lights, but some have uneven gaps.

The 2.0D is a good motor but I think a little lacking in 'oomph'. I know of one member who had his 2.0D ECU chipped and it made it quicker than the 2.2D his son has, but it still is a 5spd gearbox. The 2.2D is a 6spd and is a cracking motor. I had mine chipped a few weeks ago and it's !Removed! mental!! Outran a 3.0D XF the other day!

Pics are obligatory when you find your pride and joy  ;)

Hi Dave,

I have looked at the biggest of the main dealers [stratstone Jaguar] and they have 6 pages of X Type but nothing under £4800.

Piston Heads will give you a big selection as will Autotrader, and they will also give an indication of whether it is a private sale or trade.  With a mechanic in the family you will be able to follow the excellent guidance from Mick.  The biggest "MUST" is always have a good look at the car you like best and see the service history, make sure there are two keys and the Owner's Handbook.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

hey thanks a lot for this..I'm no mechanic type,  but my brother is, so thanks again..

Can you recommend the best place to look for an X type for 3.5k?

Autotrader??

I actually found mine on eBay. A small dealer who trades from home. Have a look on his eBay site as he usually has a lot of Jags in.

Check this one out on his eBay account - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTSTANDING-2005-JAGUAR-X-TYPE-2-0D-SPORT-DIESEL-103000-MILES-LONG-MOT-/131072021811?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1e84805533

If you look at his other items, he has a petrol Jag for sale too. I recommend him as a trader (which is rare for me!!) He was a pleasure to deal with, honest, straight talking and sold me a cracking Jag.

He had a 2.0D in at the time I bought mine, but I specifically wanted the 2.2D Sport. This black one of his looks superb and he is worth travelling for. His cars all seem to be very good examples. I'm chuffed with mine and I wouldn't hesitate to view another of his again.

Let us all know how you get on if you decide to go.

That looks like a nice clean car, Mick, and I can see why you recommend that dealer.  And the Petrol 2.5 litre seems in good condition too.

Some people don't like the 2.5 litre Jaguar but one of my friend bought one from new in 2000 and has still got it without anything serious going wrong with it.

And when your read this Dave, let me know as I am less than a hour away from Derby. I can even take you up there from Birmingham.

Regards,

Peter,

• Like 2

oh wow!! thanks!! I will keep in touch.. I have just called Mark Ussher, so will be keeping on touch with him, as if he still has that car next month or so, or another one, he'll let me know.. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Some seriously generous people on this forum!! What a fantastic gesture Peter!

Mark at Classic Cars is a really nice guy and well worth a trip. I'd check the car out myself but I'm nearly 2 hours away.

My car wasn't perfect when I viewed it.It had a split rear tyre, the front brake discs were knackered and the front spring snapped on test drive, but Mark sorted the spring properly with a Sport spring too not just some cheap replacement. I negotiated my price with him based on me having to replace the discs and replace the tyre but when I collected the car he had fitted a new, matching, rear tyre so I only had the discs to sort.

The overall condition of the car was so good though, that despite leaving him a deposit for a car which had a broken spring, buggered brakes and a knackered tyre, it was too good to walk away from. Now it's all fixed, the car is excellent and I see no reason why this black one should be any different.

Going down to Weymouth last summer I got 46.1 mpg from my 2.7 Diesel s type. Mostly at 68mph to ensure that the second turbo charger didn't cut in. Coming back with a busy motorway and driving a little bit quicker I got 37 mpg which is about normal on a longish run [over 25 miles].  I can normally get circa 40 mph on a run over about 70 miles, which I consider pretty good.

Peter.

The diesel X-types will return roughly 42-48mpg in general. The 2.0 is slightly more frugal with the fuel. 

I have the 2.2 and I get roughly 44-46mpg which I consider pretty good. On a run, they will do more obviously, but don't expect 60+. You'll get around 55 max on a long run.

Mine has been chipped and still returns pretty much the same mpg as standard, despite it being much easier to stick the right foot down, there is little need as it now pulls superbly without hammering the throttle.

If you buy either the 2.0 or the 2.2 and expect to get around 50mpg on a motorway run and an overall average of around 40-45mpg you'll not be disappointed. The real choice here is whether you want the refined, smooth unflustered 2.0D with it's 5-spd gearbox, or the entertaining, brisk, driver focussed 2.2D with the 6spd box. The fuel use will be much the same with either.

• Like 1

hey Jim 795 miles on a full tank is great. how much does it cost to fill the tank?

You see I will be driving motorways doing 150 miles a day on my own.. hence why I'm thinking this is a great car for me, as this is the kind of mpg you get from a new Audi A3 for example.. when you say roughly what your getting,is there a display in the car that tells you as your driving along?
Please excuse all my questions, but I love these cars and I've never even been in one before :)

Hi Dave,

You do notice the mileage per gallon difference when you change from petrol to diesel.  A caveat, however, is don't let the tank get too empty.  If it does run out of fuel, there is a page in the owners manual of what to do, and having read it, I look to fill up my S type when the range gets below 100 miles as a restart seem a bit of a pain.

The trip computer on your car will tell you the miles done, the range, the mpg, & the instant mpg.  I check mine after every trip!  

Cost of filling up usually comes in at £70 + --  my local Shell filling station sells its diesel at 134.9p a litre.

Regards

Peter 

Great, this is all good...My brother has a new audi a3 (supposedly very economical car.)

It costs him 65 to fill with diesel and he get 700 miles a tank on a best run.

so this is all pretty similar figures.. Which is what I needed to hear :)

Thank you all...

Yes, that's pretty spot on. Most manufacturers give an Urban, Extra Urban and a Combined mpg. I tend to ignore the Urban and Extra Urban and go with the Combined Cycle, which in Jaguars case for the X-Type 2.2D is 47.8mpg (I think). Given that I reckon I'm getting about 45mpg average, it's not too far off the mark, but I'd always advise using the Combined figure and then making that figure the 'maximum' you'll get on a day to day basis instead of an expectation of what you'll get without any effort on your part. You'll get less if you drive through towns and hills and more if it's on the open road at a constant cruise, but overall, about 45 is your lot.

I can probably get 60-62mpg out of mine, possibly even 65 if I try really hard, if I drive 150 miles on a motoway with no traffic, at a constant 60-65mph and with no passengers or toilet stops. If I use the car to go to work, however, I get about 42-45mpg.

Hi Mick,  years of experience has told me the same. I always use the combined figure and if I get better than that it is a bonus.  I look to get about 40mpg as I rarely do long motorway trips these days, so I am quite happy with that.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Thank you again guys, This is all good to know, and I'm most definitely still in and looking for a diesel X Type.
Those figures are all pretty good really.

Would you say these cars are good for long journey driving and reliability?
i.e if i buy a car for 3.5K with a few miles on the clock, and the car is good and straight, am I likely to still get a lot of millage out of it with no problems?