speed sensor

del96

Hi, I have just bought an s type and the abs light is on as well as the dash saying that

Dsc unavailable. I have been told that the speed sensors may need cleaning, is this an easy job?

Really would appreciate some help folks.

Welcome to the club, Del.

I am afraid that I don't get oily hand any more, but I don't think it is a difficult job.

But I have heard that disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes [make sure you have your radio code] will reboot the computer and might do the job.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Del

Also before you get oily hands there is also a site that you can google.  Do not google the site direct as it will cost you a few shillings but simply google"

S type: an ABS fault. traction control

You will come to a site called Just Answer and the topic that you want will be showing  ---  free!

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks all, I will give them all a try. I forgot to mention earlier that the former owner had driven through a puddle and all the lights came on, so I am hoping that its a simple fix as I need to get her through an mot.

Hi Del,

Welcome. Ref the speed sensors, best tip is to soak the area where the sensor fits onto the hub overnight (the sensor bolt itself and the hole than the sensor goes through) as they can weld themselves into place!

Don't be tempted to use brute force as the sensor body will crack and replacement will be your only option (£90 plus each!)

Good luck and take it steady, you will be reet.... 

Cheers Matthew, I had a go last night with one of them, (front nearside) it came out pretty easy (with a little pop) and it looked pretty clean, I am going to wait til tomorrow when I have all day to finish the other three, hopefully that may do the trick.

I heard that the rear ones are the ones that seem to be the problem ones, so lets wait and see.

I will post an update when I have finished.

Okay, update on my problem....cleaned all the sensors and the problem is still there, I then took the battery off to reset the computer and that has not worked either.

I think I will have to get a mechanic to look, as she needs an mot.

Hi I am going to try recharging/topping up  the battery, It has been mentioned that a week battery may/can cause this too. I have my own ABS LIGHT thread and will update it.

Regards John t

21/03/14 Battery 11.98 volts?  is it worth changing to try that? Ideas, thoughts??

A read 11.87 volts was reported on a thread as below what the cpu needed, he stated a good battery  may/should read about 12.5v.

Update time. I have had my mechanic look and the problem so far is that one of the previous owners has had a go at the wiring around the abs unit and bodged it up!!! I have him booked in next week tonfix the wiring as the diagnostics is showing faults all over the abs and he says it hard to pinpoint the problem til then. So far the sensors seem OK, but the worst case scenario at the moment is that I may have to change the abs ecu. Hopefully not, fingers crossed.

Update on this to follow.

Cheers John for your post, the mechanic did say to me before he started that a weak battery can lead to a fault. With problems like this you have go through all options til you know.

21/03/14 Battery 11.98 volts?  is it worth changing to try that? Ideas, thoughts??

A read 11.87 volts was reported on a thread as below what the cpu needed, he stated a good battery  may/should read about 12.5v.

Hi John, might be worth a try, can you try before you buy?? As for my problem, I found out today that the abs/pump/ecu has been known to be faulty!! I am hoping that when my mechanic has fixed the wiring we should be okay, but I found a replacement part on the Internet for about £100, keeping my fingers crossed that its only the wiring.

Hi Del,

I had a similar fault on my S Type where a fault message on the dash reads "ABS Traction Control Fault" & the ABS light stays on.

I tried all the cheap remedies like battery disconnection... clean the sensors etc etc without success, in the end I just took the car to my local Jag dealership & they identified faulty sensors, they kept it in for the day, replaced the R/H ABS sensor & reset the fault message & the problem was solved. I had the same message about 6 months later, took the car in & yes... it was the L/H ABS sensor which was replaced & problem solved :)

11 Months later the same fault message returned so I went back to the garage & they diagnosed a faulty sensor but as it was within the 12 Months since they were replaced they replaced the sensor free of charge... & I got to borrow an F Type shooting break for the weekend.... wow what a car (See photo)

Any way, I hope that you are able to solve yours with a cheap fix however my local dealership only charged me £274.00 including diagnostics, parts, labour & VAT which I thought was quite reasonable.1521297_10152109410404194_1957931588_n.j

Had my car checked by Stratstone as part of the £199 service. They didn't cancel the light (as they were not asked to) as it was not part of the Service. 

£150 per hour labour charge to check it. or have a look around.

I am going to another garage to see if they can, It must be cheaper than their charges.

My battery is now reading 12 + volts has been disconnected and re connected , ABS and slip lights still on :-( .

Lets see what I can find out tomorrow.

I have a reader but it only does the engine boo hoo.

Fingers crossed.

John T

• Like 1

Dear John,

Have a look round, there will be garages cheaper than the stealerships, I don't intend using them after the warranty runs out. They charge hand over fist, and i don't

trust them.

But I hope you get the prob sorted, and shortly.

ATB,

Trevor

• Like 1

Wow are you saying that Stratstones charged you £199 & didn't at least identify the problem let alone solve it?... If that is the case, I would be disgusted.

If Stratstones, as a main Jaguar dealer can't identify the issue with their Jaguar specific diagnostic equipment, I would be very surprised if an independent garage would be able to help, but I guess all you can do is ask :(

I hope you are able to find someone to help out.

This was a recent comment on a similar issue that may offer some help

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/9666-s-type-abs-lights/#entry15691

Good luck my friend & please keep us posted about your progress

• 1 month later...

I tried a reader, mine didn't clear the light. I cleaned the sensors too.

In the end I took it to a Bosch garage, they found a nsr sensor not working, replaced (£90 from Stratstone) total job £211. all ok now, it could have been worse!!!!. 

If stratstone had told me it was the sensor I would have bought and fitted one. so  much for main dealer loyalty. 

all good now

Cheers Del

I tried a reader, mine didn't clear the light. I cleaned the sensors too.

In the end I took it to a Bosch garage, they found a nsr sensor not working, replaced (£90 from Stratstone) total job £211. all ok now, it could have been worse. 

If stratstone had told me it was the sensor I would have bought and fitted one. so  much for main dealer loyalty. 

E bay price about £70 ish for a second hand one!!!