MPG for V6 S Type

Diddler

After the  last post of MPG for 2.7 S Type I would be interested in viewers comments on their V6  3.0 Ltre. I have not done a long distance yet, the best I can say is 27 mpg semi urban with lots of traffic lights etc.

Stan

Hi Stan.

I'm getting around 28/29 miles semi urban. Should be going to Birmingham next week so will know more, Its about 200 miles round trip. Rally looking forward to the drive, I don't say that when I'm in the Ford Fusion.

Catch you later.Karl

Hi Stan.

I'm getting around 28/29 miles semi urban. Should be going to Birmingham next week so will know more, Its about 200 miles round trip. Rally looking forward to the drive, I don't say that when I'm in the Ford Fusion.

Catch you later.Karl

I used to enjoy going up to Widnes to watch Rugby League every other week  --  it's a pleasure driving a Jaguar on a long trip.  I had an 190 mile round trip and usually go about 43 mpg. [2.7 Diesel]

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Karl,

I did have a slight inkling that you followed a gentleman's game.  I used to know Central Park very well, and indeed watched Billy Boston make his debut at that historic ground.

Enjoy your trip to Brummagem.  I live within the City limits although some of residents still want to retain Sutton Coldfield as a separate entity.

There are plenty of Jaguars round here!

Regards

Peter.

Hi

Mine is a 2.5 V6 petrol and I've only had it a short time but have achieved 28.8 mpg average so far (according to the dash readout). I think a good run is what it needs and I've a couple of long trips coming up soon.

Q

Hi John,

I had a 2.5 petrol x type and it got a similar mpg on local usage, but on a longer run I used to get around 35 mph driving steadily.  You could get as good as that.

Peter.

Hi All, since I have had my 3.0 S-type, which was June 2012 I have achieved 25.9 mpg average. I zeroed  the B trip computer when I bought the car and have not touched it since and 25.9 is what it reads now. I zero the A trip computer every time I fill up so I can get some idea of how the car performs under different driving scenarios and with a lot of urban driving can be down to 23 mpg, but on a long run with fairly high running speeds on the motorway I get to the mid 30's, much as I expected when I bought the car. No matter what the mpg aren't they sheer bliss to drive though. Best wishes Geoff.

After my run to north yorkshire I was pleased to find that going,on the M1, including a trafic jam of about nine miles, the S Type returned 32.5mpg. That also included doing 80 in a couple of places to make up time. Coming back on the scenic route, including M180. A46 etc it only did 29.2. The moral of this story is, in future stick to the motorway where possible.

Stan.

I've had my S-Type V6 3.0 since April 1999.  I run it with ACC on permanently and have averaged 23.5 mpg overall.  Best I can get is on motorway driving when the car returns around 28 mpg.  Town driving around 17 mpg.

These figures are not based on the trip computer which gives a somewhat more flattering view of consumption.  I've kept an Excel spreadsheet since buying the car wherein I keep, inter alia, a log of the car's mileage at every fill-up.  (I always fill to the brim).  Real consumption, as measured through my spreadsheet, will always be more than that calculated by the trip computer.  Typically around 10% out.  So the car's trip might suggest 28 mpg, but the true calculations will be around 25.5 mpg.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Club, Peter.

That is a very useful piece of information for all car owners.

I used to do the same [not on a spreadsheet] when I had a company car, as I had to submit a weekly mileage with details of journeys, including mileage done in private usage, even though I had a fuel card which paid for all miles done.

I have noticed variations on the trip computer in respect of range when I have filled up, again always to the brim, and when I have done 100 or so miles.

Regards,

Peter. 

Surely it would do more mpg with the A/C off.      I am not too bothered about the mileage for  the need to keep a log, because I very rarely go far and it is mainly around town. I was only really interested in what it was doing on a long run. Such a great drive anyway.

In addition to the tyre pressures, on the plate on the front of drivers door hinge pillar, comfort pressure is 28 psi up to 100mph. Cannot remember what book says, must look next time I am in Garage, and at my age I don't go tearing around.

Regard.

Stan

Hi Stan,

The handbook says to run the car with ACC switched on all the time.

In respect of tyre pressure the handbook refers you the information on the door pillar on the driver's side.  For my 2.7 diesel the correct pressure is 31psi, remembering that the 2.7 S Type is 90 kilos heavier that the 3.0 litre petrol.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Stan and Peter

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my first post.  Much appreciated.

It's likely that I'll be moving on from S-Type to XF 3.0 Portfolio Sportbrake in June.  It'll be a sad day when I part company with the S-Type.  It's been a good, and almost totally reliable friend.  It was one of the first off the production line when I purchased it in April 1999.  Expensive then, and pretty much valueless now - I've been offered just £1,000 in part exchange for the XF.  And that despite its low mileage of just 78,000, its outstanding condition and its full Jaguar service history.

I'm of a mind to hang on to the S-Type and await Classic recognition!

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

The Sportbrake is a beautiful car.  When I got my S type I was driven to the dealers in one.

But your s type is worth far more than you will be offered and both my head and heart would push me towards keeping it.

Regards,

Peter.

I would be inclined to agree.

£1000 is a little insulting isn't it? I agree they aren't worth much, my 2005 X-Type isn't worth huge bucks but when it comes to upgrading it, I'll be in half a mind to keep it.

Where I live there is a classic car show every year and it'll eventually fit right in there!

Hi John,

I had a 2.5 petrol x type and it got a similar mpg on local usage, but on a longer run I used to get around 35 mph driving steadily.  You could get as good as that.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Well I had to go north of Birmingham this week and spent some time on the M42. The speed was restricted to 60 mph and as a result I achieved over 37 mpg! I wonder if I could have kept going at this speed I might have reached the magic 40? I expect this is as good as it gets but I'm not complaining.

Anyone know what the record is for the 2.5 engine?

John

Hi Peter

Well I had to go north of Birmingham this week and spent some time on the M42. The speed was restricted to 60 mph and as a result I achieved over 37 mpg! I wonder if I could have kept going at this speed I might have reached the magic 40? I expect this is as good as it gets but I'm not complaining.

Anyone know what the record is for the 2.5 engine?

John

Hi John,

The best I ever got with my x type was 36.2 coming back from Leeds in traffic that was steadily running at 50 - 60 mph.  Mine was an AWD which is a touch thirstier than a RWD car.

I think the magic 40 mpg is possible if you set out to do it on a quiet stretch of the M1 or M6Toll.  I will have a look around and see if I can find the record.

Regards,

Peter. 

On a holiday trip from my end near Spalding, Lincs to Blackpool I screwed 59.4 out of my X-Type and it wasn't an eco drive. I drove it fairly normally. Just shows the difference between the petrol verses diesel. I don't think the performance figures between the 2.5 petrol and the 2.2 diesel are much apart either, and having had my ecu remapped, I think the only noticeable difference will be the low down grunt uphill from the diesel.

I know diesels aren't everyones choice but on this generation of engine I can't really see much of a market for the petrol.

The 2.2 x type diesel Sport has an official top speed of 137 mph and 0 - 60 will take just 8.5 seconds.

The 2.5  x type Petrol version has an official top speed of 140 mph and will get from 0 - 60 in 7.9 seconds.

There is so little difference that I would hazard a guess that a well tuned diesel could well out perform the petrol version.

The s type 2.7 litre diesel performs almost as well as the 3.0 litre petrol model in spite of being 90 kg heavier.

Peter.

Timed mine a few times a little while ago and averaged 7.4secs to 60mph. The top speed is 70 officer!

Even if I thrashed it everywhere it would still exceed 35mpg so I personally can't justify a petrol of this era. I appreciate the noise is different and the power delivery isn't the same but I personally prefer the low down grunt of a torquey diesel turbo. Each to their own though.

With the 2.2 diesel the 0-60 isn't where it performs best. The gearing of the 6 speed box and the lack of high revs make it a pretty pointless exercise. Where it is best is from 40 to around warp 7, where the in gear acceleration of 4th, 5th and 6th are quite something, especially after the remap. My 2.5 Vectra V6 was good but this would leave it in the weeds from 70 onwards!

The older 2.7 is a lovely engine. The later one in the early XF is a tractor by comparison.

Mine pulls hard from about 1200rpm. Used to tail off at around 3000 rpm but since remapping pulls harder from 1200 rpm and builds rapidly up to 1500-1800 then continues all the way to around 4200! Totally transformed it!

I researched the S Type 2.7 diesel for a long time, Mick, when I was thinking of selling my old Rover.  My list of requirements said that the car would be a diesel S Type, automatic, with SE specification in black or dark blue.  So we finished up with an X type, Petrol, manual, with a brown steering wheel in metallic Red.   When it was stolen, my wife said we should turn a disaster into an opportunity, and I started to look for the right S type.  I put a query out to Stratstone concerning an S Type in Woverhampton in Black and I got a reply from a Stratstone in Solihull saying that they had just got in an S type that might fill the bill.  I went and had a look and there was the Indigo Blue with Dove Grey two tone leather in beautiful condition.

I had never driven anything as smooth as the diesel engine and I have enjoyed this car more than any other.

Peter.