In love with an ex

zaybxcwd

Hi there, my name is Michael. Ive always wanted a car from this marque but for reason of budget and/or fear I've never taken the plunge. I woke up one morning about a month ago and entered my very attractive ((Insignia) maybe I'm diluded but i see a tough of XF in them) but boring corperate hatchback and sitting in a sea of plastic and man made fibers, I thought maybe sonething older, more charm, more individual and more pleasing is what's needed.

What to buy....an XJ would be nice, as if hahahaha.....a 3 Series charm? dare I say it individual? (that's even more amusing than getting a XJ and running it). A4 to German. Looked at a C180 but anyone who's ever sat in a pre 04 model will tell you that the instrunents have a retro feel to them, like stright replica out of a '43 Tiger and besides back to A4. What about a X-Type Haha oh my side hurts.....wait....why am I laughing? (diesel, scared of fuel cost (had a XR4x4 and econony wasn't its thing) and worry about AWD drive train failure). So I've been toying with the idea and looking at classifieds.

Easter Monday was doing the seaside thing and drove past a dealer on the N-E coast line....and I almost did a emergency stop in the middle of tge road. There on the forecort was an X-Type and it looked stunning. On closer inspection, I've never seen a car of that age in that condition. There was'nt even a stone chip on it. 54 X-Type 2.0d SE, black leathet (want cream to go with the walnut) and no sat-nav but it looked like it came out of Halewood yesterday with delivery mileage (does have 68k on it BTW), turns out last owner was a Benz dealer. Looked at my '11 Vauxhall and thought this looks beaten up in comparison. That car is a work of art....It's a thing of beauty....and it's £3.8k. I don't want that car in my life....I need it.

My brain is telling me not to be a fool, do not buy a 10 year old Jaguar for the love of god you idiot, my heart is telling my brain to shut up and my heart is winning this internal swabble. I want this car so badly it hurts. My mind....no sorry my heart is made up, I'm getting a X-Type and ditching the corperate dustbin. I want a car where going from A to B is an event rather than a chore.

Sorry about tbe long winded text but I'll keep you guys informed because I'm getting one and also sorry I typed this up on my phone so if the gammer is wrong that's why.

Welcome to the Club, Michael.

I think most Jaguar owners have had similar experiences prior to owning a Jaguar.  I had 30 years of company cars and as you say, plastic and boring.

When I retired in 1999 I bought a nearly new Rover Sterling  ---  a steady reliable car  --  a passengers car but not a drivers car.

I decided to buy a Jaguar and wanted a diesel S type automatic, but my wife saw a Metallic Red X type 2.5 litre AWD petrol manual without a scratch on it. Lovely car to drive. We were gutted when it was stolen  ==  carjacked.

The dealer told me I would never drive another make and we now have that S Type Diesel automatic.

You will enjoy both the Club and the Jaguar,

Regards,

Peter. 

Michael,

Did the same thing as you when I drove past an Aston Martin stealership ( huge mistake).

In recent years i've had two new BMW's , two nearly new Aston martins, and now this XJ Superport .

The XJ is the best car I have ever owned, as mentioned elsewhere on this site, i've even turned down a new Merc at discount as I like the Jag so much

ATB,

Trevor (old but happy, and safely returned from the north)

Cheers Peter.

I should be ready to buy in a couple of weeks. Will that car still be there? Who can say it is over priced but it's also in a condition that it could be snapped up at any time. There are plenty to be bought privately for cheaper so I will get one.

You mention a Sterling..I bought a car once with only my heart and brain turned off. Three year old Rover 820 SE 1990 on a G plate. Lovely car but after a year I'd need a rem of A4 to list everything that went wrong, everything that could....inevertably did.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys......I know I posted this ages ago.......and I'm sorry I haven't got back on the forum since. I am sitting in a hotel room at the moment after driving over 150 miles to what I consider the "right" car. Got here at about 17:00 unfortunately the bank transfer is going through at mid-night tonight.

So alas had to get a room as I'm not getting my car till 08:30 tomorrow. Like a six year old waiting for santie, just sitting in the thing compared to the Insignia was a revelation. It's a thing of beauty, would show you guys my new baby Jag, if I knew how to post a pic on here.

07 X-Type 2.0 diesel SE

Grey, with a rain forest and a herd of cattle thrown in.

Peter,

Up nice and early I see .

I'm sure Michael will enjoy his car, the Jags just have a special something about them .

Can't move for holiday makers now. The two people involved in the big accident on Saturday, although rather poorly still, are heading in the right direction, which is good news .

ATB,

Trevor

What a wonderful car. Doesn't have the raw power of the 160 SRi Insignia but is so much smoother, the Vauxhall feels agricultural in comparison and the Jaguar seems to have better power through the full rev range.

Stunning too look at and stunning to sit in.

There are three things I can find fault with.

1 keep pulling away with the handbrake enabled (joy of the Insignia's E-brake)

2 keep going for sixth gear

3 no auxiliary for device connection (is it possible to stream through the car's bluetooth?)