Towbars

Trying to find company to fit twin electrics and towbar to my S type ,besides main dealer. This particular car needs specific plug in electrics. CDF company can't do. Towquipe in liquidation. Can do ourselves as have done previous Jag but side of road not best place.

Hi Margaret

There is a Company called Indespenion Trailers there Branch in Edinburgh fits Towbars and Electrics and there must be a Branch near you as I think this Company comes from the Midlands Area.Saying that Jaguar,s could be different as the Honest John Web Site advices potential customers not to buy the x type because of the difficulty in connecting the Electric,s.I no longer look at this Web Site as he Rip,s the x type to Pieces. He say,s x type should not be bought for Towing.I'm sure you will get a lot of advice from the S type Forum.

Regards

Tom

Hi Margaret,

I have used CDF and found them reliable.  But if the can't do it, that's it.

There is another mobile company called P and J Towbars who operate in the West Midlands Tel No 01926 512876.

They might be worth a call to check price and ability to fit on an S type.

I have used Indespesion for trailer hire and they seem very able and efficient in that respect.  They have a place in Halesowen, but they are a National Company and there could be one in Coventry.

It is a pity that you are not nearer me as I have a big drive!!

Regards, 

Peter.

Hello Margaret,

I had the same problem as I have just bought an S type diesel to tow. I live the other side of the midlands to you but found a small company JIB Towbars who cover the midlands tel 01675 292292, or google the name.

I have not had my bar fitted yet, May 14th is the day, but this was the only company I could find that would do the job.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin. Will contact these tomorrow as enquiries so far around friends who work at Jag haven't been able to help. Put in quote on-line at Tow Express as well. Thanks for everyone's help. Will keep you posted. Lovin driving.MPG good. Let's home we can hitch the van up soon.

Regards Maggs.

• 3 weeks later...

Tow bar is now fitted. No problems with electrics. Further bits of Bodywork on the path due to age.The muffler heat shield had corroded at the fixings points.( dissimilar metals). Hubby in shed correcting this and when rain subsides will be remitted. Have booked a few days with caravan in Suffolk this week. Going to forest where UFOs visited.

Tow bar is now fitted. No problems with electrics. Further bits of Bodywork on the path due to age.The muffler heat shield had corroded at the fixings points.( dissimilar metals). Hubby in shed correcting this and when rain subsides will be remitted. Have booked a few days with caravan in Suffolk this week. Going to forest where UFOs visited.

Hi Margaret,

Glad all is fixed.  I had my car Terraclean Service on Friday and it has made a great difference.  The engine is much quieter, and, although I hesitate to say that the s type is nippy, it is certainly more agile than it was.  The mpg is much better.

I had a good tip from the mechanic who did the service, too.  He told me never to use supermarket fuel as a percentage of the fuel is biomass diesel.  You get better consumption with high quality diesel.  The job was done with him coming to my house and did the job here.  Cost  --  £114  --  and worth every penny.

Enjoy Suffolk.

Regards,

Peter. 

Just to say towbar a success. Added high quality diesel for journey. Average fuel consumption while towing caravan 26mpg. Not bad as we have large van. Enjoyed few days in forest. No UFO landings but saw international space station going over. What a site. The Jag went through the whole trip with flying colours. Enjoyed fish n chips from famous Aldeburgh chippie (long queue) and sat on seashore. Roll on next trip. 

Managed to get away to Lincoln over the Whit week, not Sherwood forest as intended, but a good test of the Jag all the same.

The Jag has turned out to be one of the best tow cars I have ever had! We have a largeish caravan, 19 feet and 1.4 tonnes, and it towed it effortlessly getting 27mpg.

As the car is heavy too it's manners on the M1 were very good, with next to no "tail wagging the dog occurrences." 

In fact I found myself having to use the cruise control to stop me going up and beyond the legal limit of 70mph never mind 60.

Roll on the summer Holidays!

regards

Martin

PS S type is still putting a smile on my face every time I get in it, long may it continue.

Hi Martin.  Glad you got away and enjoyed the experience. Just have to say thank you for information so we got the towbar. We can now keep on smiling an looking forward to next trip. Keep on purring. We also used cruise control as there is a stretch of spec cameras on A14.