Hello EveryBody new here..sorry to burdon you Car a little sick?

bonnietiler

Hello all nice to be here...I suspect that my problem is all of my own doing, just bought a 3 owner 2000 3 litre very nice full Jaguar service history 80k...it went very well all the way home..started first time whilst I waited for its tax disc..I cleaned the engine bay  2 days ago trying to be careful no pressure hoses etc, i've done it many times before. In the mean time the tiny battery as fitted when I bought it has virtually gone flat, I charge that with a clever fancy charger overnight Tax disc arrives this AM  I remove charger turn the key engine runs..but wont rev feels like it's on maybe 5 cylinders sort of just enough power to back off drive I return the car to starting point and will now only turn over...not a peep from any cylinders..it does turn over very well indeed but other than that.

Where should I look first...any help much appreciated.

Sorry for my first visit to be a plea for help but...

Regards

Bonnietiler ( thats the bike that I used to ride and the job that I reluctantly used to do!)

Welcome to the Club, Brian.

Your first job is to check that the battery in the car is the correct one for the Jaguar S type.

I don't get my hands oily these days, but the electrics on the Jaguar do require the right power source.

Regards,

Peter. 

Thanks very much for tha advice I have just bought quite the biggest battery I've ever seen!

I shall fit it tomorrow

Should I leave the battery off for an hour to reset some electrical "brain" somewhere I wonder?

I got a Whizz-bang Yuasa 5 year Chromium plated jobbie from Halfords today, luckily I also had my next door neighbours Trade Card...very satisfying

It may fix it. If the cells in the battery have shorted it may cause you running issues. It's a good place to start since, as Peter says, these cars are dependent on sound electrical supplies, as most modern cars are. Once running, the alternator should provide all the power the car needs without a battery, but if the battery is faulty internally, it may be causing a power fault

I have replaced the battery..made no difference but it is the correct version for the car, and that makes me feel better.

I removed all three (easy side) spark plugs, all very wet replaced same and the car now starts but isn't brilliant.

I have ordered new plugs and will replace all  with new as well as those under the intake hopefully tomorrow and report back.

Many thanks for the help so far though.

Currently running my Triumph TR8....nausiatingly reliable, have covered 3500 miles over the Winter in it.

Cheers

Brian

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Currently running my Triumph TR8....nauseatingly reliable, have covered 3500 miles over the Winter in it.

Cheers

Brian

oooooo, drophead or hard top is it a converted TR7 like Grinnall used to do or a proper works one? I had an Inca Yellow hard top I let Grinnall loose on fantastically awesome and scary in equal measure.

Just to say an apology for the late replies, sadly had some bad news on the distaff side and  a Cancer diagnosis, treatment to follow, excellent fast and professional service from the Local NHS, very impressed.

Car wise I replaced all plugs and much more importantly all the coils this did make a difference and it now ticks over like a bloodhound lapping milk marvellous. I have had to also invite my alter-ego Mr H Robinson for some...er not entirely PC Aircon repair due to finding that the pipe had actually corroded completely in 2 parts.....Staggeringly...I have fixed it for the £5.00 + a can of Halfords refrigerant...I wouldn't want to tell how this was accomplished as I fear a law suit pending!

Thanks for the kind thoughts.. Pam and I are going to a local meet in the Triumph on Sunday, It is a fairly faithful facsimile of a RHD TR8 even down to the Stromberg carburettors It is Poseidon Green and in pretty good shape has a non-pc fairly open exhaust system and sounds not unlike the cars as driven in "Bullet" no need for a Radio! Had it dyno'd @180bhp and seeing as it weighs nothing this means it's pretty quick and strangely economical...I can get 30+mpg on the Motorway...yes I know I'm just not trying hard enough! if I could work out how to include photos i'd post one for you?

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian,

O have just found out how to do photos.

Click on to "More reply options" ----  then "Attach files", then photospost-4237-0-45392200-1404843913_thumb.jp or something like that.

And there you have it.

Peter

Thanks for the kind thoughts.. Pam and I are going to a local meet in the Triumph on Sunday, It is a fairly faithful facsimile of a RHD TR8 even down to the Stromberg carburettors It is Poseidon Green and in pretty good shape has a non-pc fairly open exhaust system and sounds not unlike the cars as driven in "Bullet" no need for a Radio! Had it dyno'd @180bhp and seeing as it weighs nothing this means it's pretty quick and strangely economical...I can get 30+mpg on the Motorway...yes I know I'm just not trying hard enough! if I could work out how to include photos i'd post one for you?

Cheers

Brian

Love to see it Brian if you can work the picture thingy out lol. Don't see many around these days barring club meets. Credit to you bud.