Leather seat care

Yes, another newbie to the fold...

Just bought an 2006 S Type 2.7 Sport and I am in love, first Jag ever, what a car.

63k dealer FSH and all receipts, gold with leaper (fitted by the first owner Stratstone Jaguar), not a scratch or dent or chip in the paint at all for just 6K, simply cherished by the previous owner and now me. My boss is stunned to an ivy colour I kid you not.

I have read tons of stuff about the s type but nothing about how to maintain the perforated leather seats, can some kind sole offer advice on products etc, the seats are in great nick but I want to put some of the color back and feed the leather itself to keep it supple?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Welcome to the Club, Peter.

The S type is a great car, both in looks and driving experience, and you will enjoy it.

I have not had any experience of the perforated seats as on the Sport Model, but I do spend quite some time ensuring that the seats in my S type are kept clean and fed with a good leather maintenance product.  I had a pack from Stratstone [also the first and third owners of my car] from Pure Guard, which I use to clean the leather and also some polish from Scotts.

However, there is much opinion about other products, Megulars, Auto Glym etc all of which can usually be found at Halfords, but there is one common factor in all of them called "Hard Work".

The leather seating in my S Type 2.7D SE is Dove Grey which I clean about every other month. and for a 7 year old car they still look very good.

Regards

Peter

Lancastrian in Exile.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the quick reply, another Peter, not that many of us around :-).

Mine are also dove grey/charcoal mix, I will try and get some help from my dealer when she goes for her service next week.

Thanks again

Peter

Peter ( the young one),

Welcome to the club. Why not just use saddle soap ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saddle-Leather-Conditioning-Soap-250mls/dp/B001F40E10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400051362&sr=8-1&keywords=saddle+soap

ATB,

Trevor (also old)

P.S. Is this a Northerners only club ?

hi peter welcome to the club. sounds if you got a good deal ther. good advice from peter the older haldfords have many products i myself use auto glym its hard work. if your lazy you can get the leather wipes they take out the dirt first then use the polish. hope this has been helpfull charlie

Thanks for the welcome and the feed back which is duly noted, The Auto GH lym products as a tad expensive but I will look into this a little more.

I like the saddle soap idea as it's historically the commonest leather care that I had simply forgot, DOH!

I think I will try this first and let it fry then get some coloured polish to match the dove grey to bring up the color again. Because of the perforation's I guess I will have to apply with a brush very sparingly to prevent it going into the holes which could then contaminate ones clothes.

Thanks to all

Peter

Peter ( the young one),

Welcome to the club. Why not just use saddle soap ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saddle-Leather-Conditioning-Soap-250mls/dp/B001F40E10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400051362&sr=8-1&keywords=saddle+soap

ATB,

Trevor (also old)

P.S. Is this a Northerners only club ?

I think this stuff is great for cleaning but the leather needs to be nourished after this or it will dry out

Don't be put off by the price of AutoGlym products. You'll find that a bottle is only a few pounds more expensive than the rubbish stuff and it'll last longer so pound for pound is probably cheaper in the long term.

It's also !Removed! superb. I won't use anything else on my car. The only other stuff I recommend is Dodo Juice.

The cheaper stuff has a place, generally for cleaning run-of-the-mill cars, but if you want the best, pay a little extra. It is, afterall, your pride and joy.

Don't be put off by the price of AutoGlym products. You'll find that a bottle is only a few pounds more expensive than the rubbish stuff and it'll last longer so pound for pound is probably cheaper in the long term.

It's also !Removed! superb. I won't use anything else on my car. The only other stuff I recommend is Dodo Juice.

The cheaper stuff has a place, generally for cleaning run-of-the-mill cars, but if you want the best, pay a little extra. It is, afterall, your pride and joy.

+1 on Autoglym, its great stuff.

Halfords often have a 3 for 2 sale on the Autoglym range so that's great for stocking up

Yes the Halfords 3 for 2 is often then only reason I shop there. The rest of the time I wouldn't give them the steam off my p**s!

Most Autoglym stuff is either £5.99 or £6.99 but it is worth every penny

The difference is noticable from the first wash. I do, however, prefer AmourAll Tyre Foam to the Autoglym Tyre dressing. The glossy sheen seems to last longer, look better and is easier to apply. It's only 4 quid a can too and lasts just as long.

For the rest though, Autoglym all the way!

My local auto accessory shop, small but efficient, stock all the Autoglym Range, and if he has not got the one you want he will get it for you the same day.  His prices are no dearer than Halfords and sometimes cheaper.

The other day I search Halfords for the appropriate Windscreen wipers for my s type  ---  they didn't have them, but he got them with 4 hours and fitted them on the car in minutes.

You can't beat your local car accessory shop and he recommends autoglym which is have used for years and it is not really that expensive.

Peter. 

I think this stuff is great for cleaning but the leather needs to be nourished after this or it will dry out

Yes, Matthew,  There are products good for cleaning and other good for polishing and feeding the leather.

It does not take that long to do if you clean and polish the leather quite frequently.

Peter.