Potential XF owner

Hi All, my name is Richard, wifes name is Karen, hence my username Kasandrich :)

We have had many cars over the years, but never owned a Jag

Currently we own a Kia Sorento 2.5 Diesel Auto and an Audi TT. The TT has been great fun to drive and due to increasing age and waistline  :ph34r:  we are both finding it increasingly diificult to get in and out and we are starting to find the ride quite harsh.

Our eye was caught by a Jaguar XF when we were out looking at cars for our Son, and we both liked the look and idea, of replacing out TT with an XF.

The Kia Sorento will currently be retained for towing duties, but I will give the Jag a shot with the Caravan on the back, but if it does not work out then the towing is not an issue.

Having researched them, I have come to the conclusion, that the 3.0 Diesel is the engine of choice, for combined reasons of fuel consumption, performance and road tax bracket.

I had the idea that to join the Owners club would be a good idea prior to purchase, as there is no greater pool of honest information.

My initial thoughts were to go for the Premium Luxury model, however having done some research on here I have seen that the 18" wheels on the Premium Luxury give a harsh ride, so I am now think that a Luxury with its 17" wheels and higher profile tyres may be better.

Colour preference is to avoid silver/grey's, maybe a blue or red?

Any tips and things to watch out for much appreciated.

Looking forward to conversing with you as we move towards a purchase.

Budget is around the £15k mark, so if anyone has a nice example that fits the bill for sale, or knows of one for sale, please do let me know.

:)  :)  :)

Welcome to the Club, Richard and Karen.

You will find a lot of friendly and helpful people here, from those who are expert in all matters mechanical and those like me who doesn't get his hands oily any more.

I have a 2.7 diesel which was replaced in the XF by the 3.0 litre diesel, which is still economical, but will still go like the Chariot of Jehu [Verily like the Wind] when given a bit of a push.

Jaguars are very good towcars [i towed, but not with a Jaguar, for 20 years], and will tow mostly anything, other than the huge twin axle caravans, with ease.

I think the best place to look for a suitable XK is a main dealer, as they will give a warranty.  I bought by S Type from Stratstone who have a good website and will bring a car from the other side of the country if need be.

My S type is Indigo Blue Metallic which was a nicer colour than the Grey one I first looked at on the internet.  They rang me when the Blue one came into their showrooms, which was a nice touch.

When I got my first Jaguar, an X Type, I was told that I would never drive another make of car, and when my X Type was carjacked I didn't even think of getting another make.  

You will find that the Jaguar will be a sedate drive when you want it to be, but when you put it into Sport mode with just a press of a button, it will be very quick indeed.

Some drivers do seem to prefer the 17" wheels for a more comfortable ride, so it becomes a personal choice.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

Welcome to the Club, Richard and Karen,

Agree with what Peter says, you will never drive another car after a Jag, I'm getting my second one early next week. Prefer petrol to the devil's fuel, but each to their own.

First decided to get a Jag when my Aston Martin DB9 went wrong.I was lent a Jag whilst it was in the garage, It was a 2013 XF 3-0 Litre Premium (devil's fuel) , and I could not believe how good it was !

I said to the wife, "the next car I get will be a Jag" and it was, a XJ Supersport, the best car I have ever driven .

Next week i'm getting a 2012 XK-R .

I would say, get the XF, you won't regret it ! , there is a reason they have the best customer satisfaction.

ATB,

Trevor (fellow southerner )

Thanks for the Welcome.

Incidentally Our Son who has a Focus ST has decided that he is not a boy racer after all and has his eye on buying an XK and preferably an R, so would be interested to hear how you get on with the XKR :)

welcome richard&karen.  ive owned a few nice cars in my time. mercs are good audis ok bmws rubbish. was going for a 911 till i drove the jag had it a year now ,its the best hands down charlie

Hi Richard

I am also new to the forum having taken delivery of a 3.0l diesel XF at the beginning of May.  I am also new to Jaguar , however over the past three weeks the smile hasn't left my face , today I did a 140 round trip to Perth and returned over average 40 mpg.

There is so much power I think you will be putting the Sorento out to pasture.

I hope that , if you go for the Jaguar, you will be as pleased as I am.

Thanks Brian

Hello Richard and Karen

Bought my first Jaguar S Type (with "devil's fuel" - not true) last November and I am getting to love the effortlessness of power delivery. I tootle around in it - but put it in Sport mode and - whoosh, off it flies!

We don't buy Jaguars for fuel economy but 35 mpg just knocking about and 45 mpg on a long run is a bonus. The S Type is styled like the Jags I grew up admiring so was my car of choice. An XF is the modern style and not to my taste but they are brilliant cars with the benefit of updated technology.

Buy the best you can afford and enjoy!

Stewart

Thanks for all the responses, visited a nearby Jaguar dealer today, the car we went to see had gone.......but one came in this morning, it has a scuff on the bumper so is currently off site at the bodyshop having that rectified.

It sounds perfect, it has our name all over it, an early 2010 '59 plate car 3.0D Premium Luxury with 19" wheels. In Claret The salesman has assured me that even with the 19" wheels the ride will be in a different league to our TT, and I can see that, so I am taking his word for it.

Its a one owner from new sold and serviced by this dealer, owned by an 85 year old Gent 

It will be back from the bodyshop 2pm on Tuesday, so I have booked test drive 3pm on Tuesday :)

Hello Richard

My daughter drove TT Quattro and like you I found the ride hard. My last car was a Mazda 6 with 18 inch wheels and was a significantly harder ride than the previous Mazda 6 with 17 inch wheels!

Stewart

Richard,

I shall pass on your comments to my friend about the Audi TT. he has just retired and wants a Jag XF , his wife claims she won't be able to park it and wants a TT.

On the ride and wheel size.

My XKR has 20 " wheels and the ride seems slightly harder on the cart tracks her in Devon than my XJ Supersport which had 19" wheels.

Do bigger wheels generally give a harder ride ?

ATB,

Trevor

Richard,

I shall pass on your comments to my friend about the Audi TT. he has just retired and wants a Jag XF , his wife claims she won't be able to park it and wants a TT.

On the ride and wheel size.

My XKR has 20 " wheels and the ride seems slightly harder on the cart tracks her in Devon than my XJ Supersport which had 19" wheels.

Do bigger wheels generally give a harder ride ?

ATB,

Trevor

The TT is a pig to park, the rear visibility is among the worst I have ever driven, and the mirrors are awefull as they sit above the shoulder  on the bodywork, so there is no visibility of curbs etc when parking.

The doors are too long and too far back, when parked in a std parking space, it can be difficult to get out of it.

....All that said, its great fun to drive, its like a go-kart with a Rocket up its ar5e. But with the gearing and the ride as they are its no fun to drive any distance.

My Son has a Focus ST, that is great fun and a boy racers car, the TT is a more mature fun car, we are now moving on to a grown up car, the Jag, is as quick as the TT in a straight line, more economical, and cheaper Tax and insurance. Better drive on a long run.

On a short run test drive the TT is great fun and very addictive.

Richard

Richard,

I've have passed on you thoughts, but his main drawback is that he's under the thumb, his wife is a retired northern teacher ( didn't realise they had schools up there) from Bolton, so he could just be frightened !

ATB,

trevor

I will also add, that if you like "quick" cars, the 225BHP TT is quick, with a simple remap, an extra 40bhp is available, along with extra mid range, the performance is then phenominal :)

Richard

Still prefer my XKR , and my XJ Supersport was fast for a large car, both 510 BHP.

I nearly bought the XFR-S last year, but the garage were too greedy, that was 550BHP

But as for the TT, it's his wife who has the say, and he'll get the one with the dinky toy engine as it does more MPG .He said his budget is £20K, but as I said to him, you can get one hell of a a Jag for £20K !

But he is Canadian, living in North Wales, and married to a retired Northern teacher, so all hope is lost really.

Do you live near Rayleigh ? ( my sister lives there)

ATB,

Trevor

Jaguars are very easy to park.  Great rear visibility, good mirrors that car easily adjustable, and rear wheel drive which gives a better turn ability than FWD drive cars.  They also have parking aids bleepers front and rear.

The Audi TT may be very quick but the Skoda platform on which it is based  is also used for the turbo charged Skoda which is also very quick and much cheaper than the Audi TT.

Give me a Jaguar any time.

On an aside, my S type 2.7D has just had the Terraclean service and while it was very quick before, it is now very very quick.

Peter.

Peter and Richard,

I have told him this, but I think his wife is one not to argue with, she even makes him go to the ballet, and in Birmingham, so no chance of manning up!

The recent jags even have reversing cameras, so yes they are really easy to park , but his wife, being female, is never wrong obvioulsy.

I will mention about you TT Richard, but his wife hates southerners, me most of all I think

Besides, they dither so much that the TT will be an XX by the time they get round to it .

ATB,

Trevor

Peter,

She is a woman, so won't be told, she is the only Tory voter to have come from Bolton, and the only Tory voter ever in the teaching profession. The XF would be a perfect car for them . But I will relay what you said young man, but I don't think she'll like it .

ATB,

Trevor

Richard

Still prefer my XKR , and my XJ Supersport was fast for a large car, both 510 BHP.

I nearly bought the XFR-S last year, but the garage were too greedy, that was 550BHP

But as for the TT, it's his wife who has the say, and he'll get the one with the dinky toy engine as it does more MPG .He said his budget is £20K, but as I said to him, you can get one hell of a a Jag for £20K !

But he is Canadian, living in North Wales, and married to a retired Northern teacher, so all hope is lost really.

Do you live near Rayleigh ? ( my sister lives there)

ATB,

Trevor

We are about 30 miles from Rayleigh