Keyless Entry......how far

Kasandrich

Having never owned a keyless entry car, our XF we are picking up shortly is keyless entry.........exactly how far away does the key have to be to prevent entry?

Our bedroom is in the front (upstairs) of the house, my keys are usually in my pocket, I take my trousers off and put them on the chest of drawers by the window at night (with keys in the pocket) .....is this going to render our car totally insecure at night? do I need to park across the road to be sure?

My daughter in law had a Megane with keyless entry.  You had to be pretty close   ---  3 yards or so.

But to be safe Richard I would check.  Put the keys in the house and see if the car will open.  Personally, I don't like the system, and never open or close my car doors from a distance, as thieves have been known to watch for a door being opened from a distance and then grabbing the owner.

Being car jacked is not a pleasant experience!

Peter.

Richard,

My XKR cannot be started unless the key is inside the car , and you have to be really close before the doors or boot can be opened. I really like keyless entry , my last six cars have had it and I've never had any problems . So I wouldn't be too bothered about your car being insecure at night, unless there is something about Essex you're not telling us about .

Down here in Devon they're more interested in stealing sheep anyhow.

ATB,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, no this is not a high risk area, I have left car windows, sunroofs open accidentally overnight, doors unlocked etc overnight without a problem.

Worst we get is a few idiots with one too many sherberts in them acting the fool on the way home on a friday or saturday night, its usually mirrors that get the attention, So the electric folding mirrors will be nice.

I was just concerned that I would never effectively be able to lock the car at night

My understanding is mine is keyless to...

the key has to be within 3 feet 1 meter of the car to get it to unlock and they key has to be inside the car to start...

you can however start the car and walk away from the car quite some distance and the engine keeps running (i tried it) but if you attempt to drive the car away it will cut out after a short distance I believe in the region of 100 yds this is so that if your attacker or thief attempts to steal your car it puts a safe distance between you and the thief...

hope that makes sense....

also dont forget you will still need to lock your car simply walking away does NOT lock the car to lock it use the remote or before you walk away from the car press the button on the door handle (there is a button on all 4 handles so press the one nearest to you) the one pressing the button to lock has to have the key also you cant get the passenger on the opposite side of the car to lock it the key has to be within 3ft 1 Meter of the button being pressed

:-)

Hi Richard,

Car security is a very important topic, and personal opinion depends a lot on where you live.  The police round here tell us that this area has been targeted by car thieves from well outside the city, with a sophisticated operation in place to avoid Security Cameras.  There are none within a 2 mile radius of my house and thieves are thought to put cars on trailers and cover them to avoid numberplate recognition.

Three cars have been stolen in my road in the last year, two of them by breaking into a house and stealing the keys, and mine  which involved blocking my drive and the accomplice waiting round the corner till I got out of the car to ask the driver in the blocking car to move, which he did while his accomplice jumped into my car and drove it off.

The Police said I was lucky as there had been 4 similar instances where all four elderly drivers had been dragged out of their cars and beaten up before their cars had been driven off, and never recovered.

I never take my keys out of my pocket until I am next to the car, even on my driveway.

Peter. 

Hi Trevor,

Within 10 miles I can access the M5, the M6, and the M42.  The M6 toll is 4 miles away and the A38 [fast dual carriageway] just a mile away.  Thieves like a quick getaway and I am told that they come from the London area to get the rich pickings from the best suburban areas within the Midlands.  That is also one of the reasons why insurance is so high. Fifty yards away from my house there is a large private estate --  all the houses are quite old with much land around them -- and are the desirable areas for professional footballers, rich lawyers, and a few pop stars to acquire houses.

When we lived in a Derbyshire village you could leave your car unlocked with the windows down in the hot weather.

It was an eye opener when work sent me down here in 1982, and my choice of location was in an area where there were good schools and close to my office, which was only 500 yards away.

The Police locally has an great emphasis on the movement of criminals, and that is the major reason for the introduction of the Central Motorway Crime Unit which covers lots of counties.  The criminals try to keep ahead of the law, though.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

It is no surprise so many of the people from up there have moved down here then really .

Actually ran away to Coventry with the wife in 1979, the less said about the place the bettr

Most of the businesses in Ilfracombe are run by Midlanders . And the scouse seem to relish being on the dole at the seaside.

ATB,

Trevor

Fortunately I have fitted my own state of the art CCTV equipment at considerable cost to myself but I can move the cameras around PTZ pan tilt zoom from any where in the world and view them via my iPhone

When the police have incidents they tend to come knocking my door to view my CCTV footage as they have told me it's the best they have ever seen :-) the advantages of being an electrician like me is I know a little bit about this kinda stuff ;-)

I am also a firearms holder and no not talking shotguns I regularly take trips to shoot at Bisley at 1200 meters I have also been know to clean said rifles in the garden during the summer ( word soon gets around when the neighbours see such items ) which adds to my security I can't think why??? I also have a sign on the house stating that trespassers will be shot survivors will be prosecuted all that and trophies and medals for shooting dotted around again when the neighbours see word gets around

With all that said I don't have much trouble hehehe

Richard,

I used to have to drive through Bisley every day to work when I lived in civilistation, and past the posh toy shop ( since moved)

http://www.romansinternational.com/

These days the wife just frightens off any would be intruders . But I agree that all trespassers should be shot .

ATB,

Trevor

P.S. has you XF got a little leaper etched into the headlight (the frosted bit in the corner) ?

leaper_zps4ce051c3.jpg

Hi Trevor

I'm not sure about the leaper as yet I will be sure to have a look when I get back to her later today....

I also need to go get a tyre removed to see if I have a cracked rim.... Not looking forward to that outcome one was replaced by the garage I bought it from on Friday passenger front but now the driver front is loosing air I'm guessing it had a pair of cracked rims I have spoken the the dealer who tells me wheels are not a warranty item although I think he has set a president by replacing one already?? I may offer to go 50/50 with him to be fair if you don't ask you don't get all I know is 20" rims are going to be expensive..... Unless I take my guns to the local jag dealer then I could be looking at a considerable discount hehehe

Hi Trevor

I'm not sure about the leaper as yet I will be sure to have a look when I get back to her later today....

I also need to go get a tyre removed to see if I have a cracked rim.... Not looking forward to that outcome one was replaced by the garage I bought it from on Friday passenger front but now the driver front is loosing air I'm guessing it had a pair of cracked rims I have spoken the the dealer who tells me wheels are not a warranty item although I think he has set a president by replacing one already?? I may offer to go 50/50 with him to be fair if you don't ask you don't get all I know is 20" rims are going to be expensive..... Unless I take my guns to the local jag dealer then I could be looking at a considerable discount hehehe

This is true but they have also seen some kerbing and I know that can be refurbed too but I would rather have new wheels just because I don't know how the car was driven before it was mine and how they came to be damaged if that makes sense....

There is a guy local to me who does these repairs, What he can repair and the standard he achieves is fantastic.

I watched him do one, the rim had a sizable flat on the inside edge and was loosing air. You could not see any distortion on the bead afterwards, just a little on the rim and when he balanced it, it only required 60g to balance it.

This is true but they have also seen some kerbing and I know that can be refurbed too but I would rather have new wheels just because I don't know how the car was driven before it was mine and how they came to be damaged if that makes sense....

I have just seen a van drive past my house with "Alloy wheel Repair" on the side.  I didn't catch anything more'

But wheels are like shoes - if they feel uncomfortable, get some that you are happy with.

Peter.

Thanks Peter

Fortunately I have a member at my shooting club that does alloy re-furbs (not sure if he is any good yet but i do have a set of alloys off my old car) Mondeo ST might get those done and then sell them I get to see his work I hope to make a profit from selling the wheels I gain all round hopefully which can then go towards getting the scuffed rim repaired :-)

whilst looking on tinternet and found these http://www.alloygator.co.uk/  anyone used them ??

oh and another thing my car doesnt have the leapers in the headlights :-(

Hi Kasandrich,

as Lord H states, you have to have the "key Unit" about 3ft away from the car, otherwise the key will/should not allow entry to your car, (Providing it has been previously Locked). I have trained myself to push the small Locking Lever (next to the Door Opening Lever) AS SOON as I get into my XF. By pushing this small lever it will lock ALL of the doors. Anyone outside the car cannot open the doors even though you have the "key Unit" in the car and it is within 3ft of one of the Key Transmitters. Make sure that you have Locked and Armed your XF when leaving it by pressing the "Lock Button" on ANY door TWICE within 3 seconds. This will prevent ANY door and the boot from being opened from Inside and Outside the car. The Hazard Warning Lamps will "Flash" twice (with a long second flash) and you will get an Audible Warning. This Audible Warning can be Enabled or Disabled by your Dealer.

Happy Motoring..............Billyboy