Jaguar s type mk 2 1965 advice needed on re-commisioning

leomk265

Hi All,

I am a brand new member and wanted to say hi, seek out some advice.

My mum owned a 1965 s type years ago, and drove it very happily. It then suffered a breakdown etc, got put in a friends garage and stayed there for the past 10 years..

It is now something I am interested in putting back on the road.

It is grey, with red leather, and not in bad shape at all.

I would love any contact details of any highly recommended mechanics/enthusiasts who may be able to steer me in the right direction. 

I will take pictures as soon as I can.

Realise this is minimal info but just making a start..

The car is in oxfordshire, but can be moved.

Jaguar SALOON FCA 181D

2 AXLE RIGID BODY

GREY (LEATHER  INTERIOR)

PETROL

FRAME NO.P1859088W

ENGINE NO.7867428

CYLINDER CAPACITY 3400C

MANUFACTURED 1965

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Best wishes,

Leo

Welcome to the club, Leo.

Big task you have there, but I would like to bet that it will be enjoyable.

There is a topic In Jaguar owners Lounge on this site [i think} that suggests reliable independent garages.

Additionally Wheeler Dealers restored one and you might be able to get that programme on You Tube.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, a bit of an un known quantity at this stage, but the mechanic whose garage it has been stored in ( a family friend) seems to think it needs basicaly putting back together, a small amount of mechanical stuff (no welding etc) then its good to go. This strikes me as very optimistic  having had the odd old car before, but you never know..

All the best,

Leo

That is good, Leo.

Half of old top cars are from a tree, which is a signature.  If that is in good order, and the paint is good,  I think you might enjoy a trip round Oxford.

My S type is thinking of a trip down there sometime.

Peter.

• 8 months later...

Hello Leo.

Just seen your post about your car. How did you get on with your car. I'm in the process of putting mine back on the road.

My car has had a full body restoration and a complete interior restoration. Also I'm putting in a complete wiring loom.

Just waiting for the weather to get warmer. And where about in London are you. I have been putting photos of my car on

facebook in the group classic jaguars & Daimlers 1931 to 1970

Regards Ricky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Leo

I have only just joined the club

I have just bought a similar car

65 S-Type 3.4 auto in grey with red leather.

when you get a second can you check the battery on yours - mine doesnt have a battery on it and I dont know what battery to buy.

hope you get your car sorted - I dont even know if mine is complete -it looks as though its all there but some bits need putting back on.

It sounds as if yours is complete and may just need a good sorting - turn it over by hand before trying to start it - I have taken the plugs out of mine and put a little Oil in the cylinders then turned it over by hand without the plugs in - its nice and free.

Just finished repairing the fuel pumps and re-fitted them.

Good luck

cheers

Dave

Hi Leo

Dont know if you are still on the forum - this is an absolutely amazing coincidence as I have just bought your mums car

I didnt realise until I noticed the registration number - I bought this from a guy a couple of weeks ago - Why did you decide to sell it.

I dont suppose you have any paperwork at all. This is incredible. Im on 07850 653250 if you get this message.

cheers

Dave

Welcome to the club, Leo.

Big task you have there, but I would like to bet that it will be enjoyable.

There is a topic In Jaguar owners Lounge on this site [i think} that suggests reliable independent garages.

Additionally Wheeler Dealers restored one and you might be able to get that programme on You Tube.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

I dont know if its possible to get a message to Leo (started this thread) I have just bought his mothers S type and as he has sold it - he probably wont check out any further progress of the thread - His mother took ill and I dont want to bother her but I could do with some paperwork - serice info etc that Leo just may have.

could you help out here at all.

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

The only way to contact Leo is to send him a PM, as he doesn't give an email address on his contact details.  As a moderator I don't have access to personal details of members other than on the Member's profile.  Check out Leo's profile for anything that might point you in his direction.

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Leo's mother has been in touch and she is looking for the paperwork for the car.

I have started the work and so far I have sorted the 2 fuel pumps - very slight leak on carbs that will need sorting.

I need to replace ignition leads etc but I put new plugs in and a battery and the engine started OK - a bit lumpy - mostly down to exhaust blowing but sounds sweet - its an auto so forward and reverse happens - cant really try it yet as there are no brakes due to fluid leaked out of reservoir.

I have cleaned up fuse holder and fitted new fuses - most of the electrics have come back to life but windscreen wipers moved then stopped and the horns dont work - shouldnt be too much of a problem. I will get brakes sorted next (corner at a time)

Hi Everyone.

got a bit of a querie if you have a mo.

It seems that someone has changed over the battery terminals and connected it up negative to earth.

I have turned it round and re-connected positive earth (I only noticed when I switched on the ignition and the ammeter went the wrong way) The guy did say he thought the electrics needed attention. (car was running OK)

Anyway - I have fitted a new battery (positive to earth) but the generator is not charging. The car runs fine (or it will when I get a new SU brass float - the rear one had sunk!!!) - I dont have wipers and the clock isnt working. - the washers work much better now that the pump is going the right way. Strange thing is the radio still works after changing the polarity.

Could the generator or regulator have been damaged by the wrong polarity.??

It could do with a new exhaust but I have been quoted £650 for a stainless steel one - a bit pricey and I dont know yet what else I may need so will hold off until the rest of the car works. - no brakes yet - next job........

cheers

Dave

Just an update on progress on the neg/pos earth situation with the S-type.

The generator just wasnt putting anything out and I couldnt work out if it was the generator or the voltage regulator.

I suspected the regulator as the points were very pitted on all the relays so I managed to get hold of a new one for £20 - a good price.

Anyway - I fitted the new regulator, cleaned and tightened the connections - but when I tested the circuit I still couldnt find the field coil voltage.

There had been some talk of polarising the generator after replacing the battery or the regulator and I had tried this after fitting the new battery and before replacing the regulator with no success - I tried this again before stripping the generator(and power steering pump) off the car and would you believe it - the ignition light went out after starting the car - battery showed 12.8 volts and the ammeter went right over onto charge - a big thank you to Mike Martinez at Star Auto Electric over the pond for his very clear but very odd advice - I really didnt think it would work and electrically it didnt make sense - Ive put it down to witchcraft (magnetics I would think). If it works - dont fix it.

Electrics are still iffy - clock not working no horns wipers or cigar lighter (this has voltage so a new one is required) I dont smoke so I'm not upset about this. I have ordered new horns and I'm going to strip and refurbish the wiper motor.

Replaced a leaking power steering pipe and I now have steering - feels a bit sticky but its been broken for 20 years so will need working and greasing.

Ive bandaged the huge hole in the back box - just to quiet it down a bit until I can find a replacement.

The big thing to face yet is the brake pedal is flat on the floor - so looks like servo problems. - next weeks job. Bodywork after this.

it will be nice to be able to drive the car out of the workshop (and stop it!!!) This is so interesting. Its a great car

• 3 weeks later...

got lots of electrics working - new battery and now positive earth - had to re-polarize the generator and fit new regulator box

brake master cylinder needs replacing - I cant get the valve out - piston is OK - new seals fitted but cant get this base valve out

piston remains at the bottom of cylinder

any suggestions

Hi all

just an update for anyone interested.

I have resolved the battery issue - the garage had indeed put the battery on the wrong way round (neg earth)

After fitting the new battery + earth the generator wasnt charging - I had ordered a new reg box just in case so I fitted this.

The forums came good as someone directed me to Mike Martinez at Star Autos California who had clear instructions on re-polarising the generator.

After this strange process which included almost welding a piece of copper wire to a reg box terminal - lo and behold the ammeter now goes the right way and the battery charges. I,m working my way around poor connections on the switch panel - I have washers and wipers (slow speed only)

The car starts on the button - both fuel pumps work - fuel gauge is only showing RHS tank - its the fuel change over switch. Lights all work, horns work although I have a bad connection through the column somewhere.

I have finally stripped down the brake master cylinder and got the valve free from the bottom of the cylinder - now seviced with new seals and brakes are working (dont know yet how good they are) I'm going to completely strip and service all calipers etc. I will replace the master cylinder if its not holding steady pressure when I get it on the rolling brake tester. The next thing is the exhaust -where do we get a reasonably priced exhaust.

The only problem is a hole in the middle RHS silencer and someone has replaced a back box recently - the other middle silencer looks ok so replacing this looks like the cheapest option but do we bite the bullet and go for a new stainless system. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi Dave,

You have been very busy.  Brilliant!

With the exhaust you can shop around, and a lot depends on how much mileage you are going to do before deciding on which system you are going to install.

Stainless is for life and is the best option if it is within your budget.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter.

I have decided that you are right regarding the exhaust - These things tend to rot from the inside and I cant see that so on the assumption that if one box has gone then the next one wont be far away - I have ordered a full Bell stainless system - should be with me next week.

Plenty to do in the meantime. (one of the fuel pumps has developed a leak from the output banjo - traced it to stripped threads in the valve housing.

New pump on the way - will fit this later this week. Still lots to sort with electrics - I have discovered that a high resistance forms between the copper switch contact base and the electrical terminal - a gas soldering iron and it will be sorted - just lots of connections to solder.. I have started to get somewhere with the brakes - The master cylinder was siezed with the valve stuck in the bottom of the cylinder body - got it all out and deep cleaned the whole thing - fitted new seals and refitted to car - the brakes all worked - a miracle.

I'm ordering a new master cylinder as its brakes and you cant be too careful but at least I know the system works.

I'm stripping the whole system next week and servicing. I will replace anything suspect.

I have a local contact (my warehouse landlord) who is going to get all the woodwork for refinishing - this guy is an expert french polisher so it should be mint. Hopefully when the other pump arrives and fitted I should be able to give her a short run as I now have brakes.

I'm doing OK so far without involving other people - I can manage all electrics - if I get stuck I have a friend who is a proper motor engineer - rebuilds all the big stuff porsche ferrari etc another mate of mine does bodywork and Angus is the car timmer - rolls bentlys etc. So I have experts round me and their services are pretty much free but I am enjoying this so far and would like to get her roadworthy myself. I'm sick of cleaning seats but they are coming

Sounds like a fantastic project and very interesting as you go along it would be nice to see some

shots of it .???? The build would be great to see --all the best --

Frank

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone - sorry I have been off line for a while. We have had a manic festival season and while I'm supposed to be retired - I just havnt stopped.

We supply staging sound and lighting so its been extremely busy this year and we are pretty much booked up for next year.

Anyway - an S-Type update.........

I have been cleaning and feeding seats - they are getting better.

Stainless steel exhaust + furflex+ full set of rubber seals for doors etc + motorola radio and a full set of new hoses have arrived so plenty of work ahead.

I have bought a 4 post lift to save the old bones from the concrete floor. Tried it out with my TR7 just in case it came down - wouldnt want to damage the Jag eh. Going to get the Jag up in the air and get round with the grease gun (dads old pre-war grease gun - still works fine)

Started to strip out the woodwork for re-laquering - need a new LHS rear door wood capping as part of the veneer is missing (anyone got a spare?)

There is a leak of power steering fluid so I hope to identify the problem whe I get it elevated.(I thought it was a hose with a big hole in it but I have replaced this and it still loses fluid)

There was a line of rust and some holes all along the bottom of the rear window - I have taken the window out and the problem was quite extensive and in a very tricky place. I didnt feel confident in tackling this myself although I can weld. I found a welder that came well recommended and he has just re-built the window frame - what a fantastic job - the man is so skilled - nice to see this level of workmanship. Lets hope theres no leaks from the window.

I have just refitted the clock to the rev counter - JDO instruments have replaced the movement and its working fine. The last piece of the tool kit arrives on wednesday so a result!!!! I have been collecting individual pieces for months now and have the full kit now.

A few small dents in the front wings to take care of but the body is in great shape - cant wait to get some fresh paint on.

I need hubs and spinners for a set of wire wheels I have aquired - please contact me on 07850 653250 if anyone has a set.

Cant wait to get it all sorted. Its a great project - nice to work on quality engineering (without a time scale)

cheers for now - thanks for reading my ramblings and all the advice and help so far

Dave

Just an observation.....

I also have a Triumph TR7 ...... I know I know !!!!

I have had electrical problems with this car (surprise?)and would just like to say that the difference between the Jaguar forums and the TR7 forums is astonishing. I am quite new to the Jaguar fraternity and just starting to contribute, although I had an XJS in a former life I didnt join any of the clubs or forums.

The Jaguar members are much more helpful and more informed. There is a greater passion for the Jaguar mark in club members

It may be that its only the TR7 that has a smaller membership and other Triumph clubs are better but thats my observation so thank you to the organisers and members for an excellent outlet for info on such a wide range of vehicles.

Has anyone else had similar experiences of other car club forums etc.

• 1 month later...

Just an update

All hubs are now being changed to accomodate the splined hubs - rear hubs now fitted but front hubs are not yet in stock.

The back axel is coming out next week to get at the brakes and change diff Oil etc.

Work continues on the inside with leather conditioning going on.

Power steeing box seals have arrived (only £18) - so its coming off next week

New hoses pistons and seals fitted to front callipers - slowly but surely.

talk soon

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again

Front brakes serviced and ready for the hubs - Orsons tell ne they will be ready to come out to me after the holidays.

Havnt yet dropped out the back axel but work still going on.

The garage that started to work on the car had overtightened the steering box so steering was a bit tight.

Thats now all sorted and the million new seals fitted - steering box is now back on the car.

The column is out and I have stripped the slip ring and cleaned and resited this. The copper wipers have been cleaned and reshaped.

hopefully this should stop the horns blowing at random when you move the wheel.

Should get the column back in shortly. I have found that someone has used the wrong bolt in the UJ at the end of the column.

They have used an ordinary nut and bolt - I cant find a supplier with the correct bolt - anyone out there got one - Its a 5/16 UNF - only threaded half way.

The rear seat is looking great and ready to go back in but I will wait until the re-paint is finished. Woodwork is not good - I have removed some and the veneers are peeling off - I have stripped one of the A pillar pieces and will varnish this and see how it comes out then make a decision regarding replacing the wood. If anyone has any nice pieces - please let me know on 07850 653250 - also regarding the steering column bolt.

I'm cleaning the wire wheels ready to go onto the new hubs.

Still lots to do ...........................