intermitant misfire

t500

I have a 99 3ltr v6 s type been running superb untill a week ago when it developed a misfire at tickover and low revs only happens ocasionally

Been in garage today no fault code showing on scanner had some new plugs fitted anyway coils checked out ok not running any better

Any ideas welcome car has done 91000mls

regards John

Welcome to the club, John.

You have done the obvious things. I can only think of a fuel problem.  There are a few members with more expertise than myself who may come up with suggestions

But I had my 2.7 diesel Terracleaned a week ago and it has made a tremendous difference.  For £114 it was worth the money.

Regards.

Peter.

Booked car into John Skeggs a jag specalist in Leicester he is very good and reasonable priced and always busy he knows the car serviced it for previous owners

He cant get in till 23rd June will have to slum it in the wifes Megane

Hi Peter who where did you get the terra clean done?

John could it be a coil pack breaking down when things heat up or can it have the misfire when cold too?

I used a mobile mechanic recommended by Terraclean  --  Just Google James Price, mobile mechanic. Cost £114 and did it on my driveway.  Very knowledgeable bloke, too.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Jag has stopped the intermitant misfire its been suffe ring with now the rear brakes are playing up caliper sticking. Allways something to spend money on

Had a test drive in a xk8 last weekend very tempted

Had a test drive in a xk8 last weekend very tempted 

Very very nice, same engine, gearbox etc as my S-type but sooooooooo much better looking! Go for the 4.2 with the ZF box and I'll be properly jealous. :unsure:

Go for the XKR and I may have a little weep  :(

Gone and done it bought 61reg 5ltr v8 xk pick it up 28th june booked the ferry for 5th august told the boss I am taking early retirement were of to italy for 3 months looking for somewere to live

Wife got the all clear this week after 2 years of treatment told the kids were selling the house and moving to italy they will have to look after themselves

all the best

john

ps still got the s type

• Like 1

Very nice John,

Great news all round and if I may I'd like to give Liguria my personal recommendation.

I lived there when I was younger in a place called Rapallo and the people were among the most welcoming I've ever met and the scenery is stunning!

The very best of good luck to you both.

Mike

Just picked up the xk incredible car, italy here we come, thanks mike for the recommendation of places to visit. We are basing ourselves in stresa cant wait

all the best

john

John,

Good news all round. I have an XKR and the XK's are fab (as are all Jags) .

It is excellent news about your wife and I hope she remains in good health (as I hope all your family do) .

Good on you for taking early retirement and being so positive about things, it all looks very exciting on the horizon .

Have a fab time in Italy, I hope you sort somewhere to live, and very best wishes to you both in your new life.

ATB,

Trevor

P.S. Just leave the kids some sandwiches

Hi John,

What a coincidence, we're holidaying on lake Orta this September, about 20 minutes from Stresa!

If you see a bearded guy in a V8 S-type give me a flash of the headlights.

Regards,

Mike 

Just picked up the xk incredible car, italy here we come, thanks mike for the recommendation of places to visit. We are basing ourselves in stresa cant wait

all the best

john

Hi John,

Hope your new life in Italy will be absolutely fantastic.  The Italians will see that we build nicer cars in the UK!

I have not been to Italy since 1950 while they were rebuilding most of it!

But the train ride from Dieppe to Rome was brilliant.

Regards,

Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes thanks the problem turned out to be a coil pack on number 6 cylinder not used the s type since I got the xk wife says it but cant bring myself to do it

thanks to everone for there comments

john

Peter,

You are right, to quote a reviewer :

" There are even rumours that the XK model has received renewed interest recently thanks to would be F-Type customers who are attracted by its combination of style and greater practicality."

And as for b****y caravans , after this accident they diverted them down the lane past me, couldn't get my car out for over five hours as four of the caravans had blocked the lane. But in fairness the lane is very steep, narrow, and extremely windy .

http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/two_injured_and_traffic_gridlocked_by_woolacombe_crash_1_3701523

ATB,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I have like the XK ever since it was built, with the only drawback for me being the limited seating in the rear.  As a Sports car, its looks and performance are absolutely superb, and in my opinion, the XK is a real successor to the E type.

As for the problems in Devon, and probably other areas similar in the holiday period, I have started a topic in "The Lounge" which I hope will serve as possibly an avenue for non caravan drivers to specify the problems they can have with Caravans, overladen vans and lorries, and horse boxes, and also for caravan owners who find the Jaguar a very good car with which to tow a caravan to express their towing experiences.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter,

I would have thought anyone who could afford a Jag, could afford a hotel, the roads down here are just not big enough for them, as yesterday proved.

The XK hasn't really got rear seats, it's just posh baggage  space, but there's only the two of us.

Exmoor here I come !

ATB,

Trevor

Just plcked the xk up from having service ready for the off on Monday thanks to everyone for there good wishes

Italy here we come

best wishes

John and Sue