Fitted Led Drl Indicators Today S-Type

JOE-DOT-COM

Hi All

Added some indicator Bulb DRL/indicator LED bulbs today to my S-type R, For under £20

theres no ready to go kits for the PY21W bulbs our cars have, so i made a set.

And i must admit they look great

got the bulbs off eBay for under a £10 from Hong Kong, Came in under a week, they were so cheap i bought a extra couple of sets as spares

I had to alter them completely, the led bulbs were a rubber grommet push in type, which i thought were poor.

So what i did is mount the led bulbs in two spare indicator Bulb holders, rubbers removed from new led's, lampholders drilled out, new led's glued into Jaguar holder with PU adhesive, so they push in proper, and i used a old Bulb base so it plugged straight into the old bulb holder, I don't like cutting and chopping the original wiring, this is fully reverseable and the old style bulbs can be plugged straight back in, No Jaguar wiring or harnesses were damaged or injured in the process of this conversion, lol.

One thing to remember on these, the lamp holders are wired different, the case of the bulb is positive and the centre is negative switched

I tapped all the wiring in manufacturer style black cloth tape, for the OE look

I also had to add a relay because Jaguar use a permanent feed to the bulb and they switch the negative/earth to operate the bulb, so the relay converts the negative switch to positive switch

The set came with resistors, but they are not needed as there controlled by a ecu and the resistance of the relay is enough for the ecu to recognise the bulb is healthy

I got the jaguar indicator bulb holders and relays, there was only one s-type so 2x lamp holders and i got over a dozen relays, same as the smaller ones in the fuse box, for a Fiver, at my local scrappy, Mc Guinesses.

I fed the DRL out of the fuse box in the engine bay, I can also turn them off there if i don't want them on all the time, mine come straight on as soon as the engine starts

here are some pics

KITS I BOUGHT

ScreenShot163.jpg

LEDS IN MODIFIED JAGUAR BULB HOLDERS

DSC_0508.JPG

DSC_0507.JPG

COMPLETED WIRING AND BULB HOLDERS

DSC_0506.JPG

HOW THERE WIRED

DSC_0510.JPG

AND LAST A QUICK VIDEO OF THEM WORKING

https://youtu.be/FEqx87slBl8

INSTRUCTIONS HERE AS WELL

Instructions doc.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm a great believer in subtle "add-ons" and really useful mods. This is a really well considered and well executed conversion. I like also the fact that it can be converted back to OEM JLR status. (Good call to order extra lamps)

This has just gone on my "to do" list - and pretty close to the top I have to say.

Hi

I working on converting the rear lights to LED

I bought a set of rear light lamp holders to modify to accept led lamps, so it can be put back to standard if required

I using the same bulbs above for the reverse and indicator, so both indicator and reverse will come on at the same time, as both lenses are clear, both will light up orange when indicators are on and both will light up white, when in reverse

also both side lights, will have brake lights, as standard only the outer side lights come on when braking

will let you know when there done

cheers

joe

13 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

I working on converting the rear lights to LED

I bought a set of rear light lamp holders to modify to accept led lamps, so it can be put back to standard if required

I using the same bulbs above for the reverse and indicator, so both indicator and reverse will come on at the same time, as both lenses are clear, both will light up orange when indicators are on and both will light up white, when in reverse

also both side lights, will have brake lights, as standard only the outer side lights come on when braking

will let you know when there done

cheers

joe

Excellent - looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Joe - I'm just in the process of acquiring all the components for the the DRL LED conversion and was wondering -  Did you use diodes across the 12vdc relay coils in the circuit for the front DRL switchback lamps?

I've read that when the relay coils de-energise, large low current voltages can exist and potentially damage conected electronic circuits. Are you aware of this being an issue especially with Jaguar REMs and FEMs that provide the switched ground for the relays?

34 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Joe - I'm just in the process of acquiring all the components for the the DRL LED conversion and was wondering -  Did you use diodes across the 12vdc relay coils in the circuit for the front DRL switchback lamps?

I've read that when the relay coils de-energise, large low current voltages can exist and potentially damage conected electronic circuits. Are you aware of this being an issue especially with Jaguar REMs and FEMs that provide the switched ground for the relays?

hi

no did not fit any, just used genuine Jaguar relays, some relays have diodes built in, but have not checked whether these have

you generally put the diode across the relay contacts, so when the contact open, the diode get rid of the voltage spike, generally on heavier inductive loads, you don't need them on a coil, its too small and because the coil has a resistance that will stop this, also the relays coil resistance also fools the control unit in thinking the Bulb is healthy

have just completed a complete rear light led conversion, they look really well, will have to post some pics up

cheers

joe

1 hour ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

no did not fit any, just used genuine jaguar relays, some relays have diodes built in, but have not checked whether these have

you generally put the diode across the relay contacts, so when the contact open, the diode get rid of the voltage spike, generally on heavier inductive loads, you don't need them on a coil, its too small and because the coil has a resistance that will stop this, also the relays coil resistance also fools the control unit in thinking the bulb is healthy

have just completed a complete rear light led conversion, they look really well, will have to post some pics up

cheers

joe

Thanks for the info Joe.

Just checked with the S Type 2005MY Electrical manual and it would appear that Jaguar use resistors across the coil (see image). Also the "Yellow" 5 pin Jaguar relay appears to be of the Changeover type which I guess can be used as either a NO or NC relay. Which Jag relays did you use?

Look forward to seeing your rear light LED conversion pics.

Jag relays.jpg

s-l1600 (22).jpg

hi

same type of relays, but mine were black

pin 4, normally closed contact. thats used on relay 2,

one relay you use 3 and 5 relay 1 and relay 2 you use 3 and 4

numbers are correct on the drawing i put up above

cheers

joe

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2016 at 6:13 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

no did not fit any, just used genuine jaguar relays, some relays have diodes built in, but have not checked whether these have

you generally put the diode across the relay contacts, so when the contact open, the diode get rid of the voltage spike, generally on heavier inductive loads, you don't need them on a coil, its too small and because the coil has a resistance that will stop this, also the relays coil resistance also fools the control unit in thinking the bulb is healthy

cheers

joe

Hi Joe,

Be really interested to see your rear LED conversion - do you have pics ready for posting yet?

8 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Hi Joe,

Be really interested to see your rear LED conversion - do you have pics ready for posting yet?

HI

At the moment She's all wrapped up for winter, In its bubble

Next time I start her up will take some pictures, they do look much better, more up to date

cheers

Joe

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:22 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

Have altered these since

I've added a relay now inside the fusebox, so when the main lights are switched on, the DRL's switch off

DSC_0510.JPG

Nice mod Joe and cheaper then the VLED switchback option!

• 1 year later...

That's a pair of side doors like the two in the back. It has the baby 3.9 litre V6. Bill Murray was stooging around in the same model (with minor differences) in Groundhog Day the other evening on cable.

The first major work I had done on it was to have it converted to LPG, so fuel economy has almost doubled.

Yesterday I set out to fit the new LEDs after finishing the small matter of installing a towbar. 4 bolts in and the dry fit showed it needed a little tweaking.

After tweaking it slipped in nicely and all ... er 7 bolts slipped in nicely. Final bolt? Not even close.

Tug, heave, squeeze, hammer, bend, distort

Nothing worked.

Exhausting hours later I was about to say f**k it and let 7 bolts do the work of 8 when I had a though flitting across my weary mind: If I do this and that and the other all at the same time ...

With my energy and brain fading at a rate of knotts I gave it that last 'college try'. Well spank my botty and call me Susan. It worked! Oh, frabjious joy.

Only 3 other, non car related, jobs to do today and mayhap I can have a go at the lights.

Camping.jpg

DSCF1404.JPG

• 2 years later...

Just done this mod. on my 2004 3.0 SE. My standards are lower than the joe.dot.com's, being quite satisfied with the rubber surround to the switchback DRL and not attempting any hiding of relays in the fuse box. I am absolutely indebted to joe.dot.com for the wiring diagrams on the Youtube video; it all works perfectly and I have the original indicator bulbs are in the glovebox in case of emergency. I did use Jaguar 4-contact relays by dint of buying an S-Type fusebox on eBay. I have stock of shielded connectors and they are an uncomfortable fit on the base of the relay shown in Budgie's post; a bigger relay would work better. Having stolen the (small) foglight relay to test the system, I am now waiting for a bigger Jaguar relay to put things back properly.

I'm really very pleased with the result, many thanks again joe.dot.com👍

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/bay15d-1157-white-and-amber-tail-sidelight-and-indicator-combined-led-380?_pos=5&_sid=c4bc4eac1&_ss=r

These are available in +ve earth which would save a lot of jiggery-pokery with relays to swap polarity for the bulbs. Bulbholders with tails on could then connect to the indicator feed and the +ve, relay coil fed via ignition could then switch the relay to earth to bring the DRLs on - still at the thinking stage!

9 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

but would have to fabricate some kind of bulb holder,

When i made the indicators into extra reverse lamps on my Rover, i drilled out the indicators Bulb holder from the cluster (similar idea to the S Type) to 16mm if memory serves and pushed one of these in :

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/1608/category/81#product_img_1-1

Connected the earth of the case to the earth rail on the original bulbholder, soldered one of the wires onto the original indicator feed then ran a separate wire for the reverse lamp connection. Used a similar method to upgrade the outer of the two rear lamps to stop/tail from stop only, that was easier as the tail lamp was inboard.

A similar method could be used on a pair of old/spare front indicator Bulb holders for the Jag to create the DRL/indicator bulbholders. Yes it would be fond if someone pulled the bulbholder out but otherwise unobtrusive.