Warning Lights For A Reason - Help

GGDad-1

O.K I've just joined - thought about it years ago, but have rather busy life. Now I'm in

trouble I thought I may find some help - sorry for 'taking advantage' but that's life.

Back in 2005 I bought my 2.5 petrol manual box X type. Now done 62 K and it's giving

me problems.

First the ABS light comes on when warm & cruising at 70 brakes not being used

I then notice a slight snatch between drive & coasting as you do in main road traffic

Then the engine warning light comes on, sometimes at this point the ABS light goes out.

It's not unusual for there to be no warning lights after being parked up overnight.

My local garage said it was the NSR perhaps under-rotating. They checked tyre pressures

but couldn't find anything wrong.

It's getting worse and since then has cut-out on overun. A quick re-start while still rolling

and then no warning lights ...... for a short while. Because it's running as sweet as ever I

wasn't too concerned, can pull 6500 rpm and the brakes seem to work fine.

Then yesterday on overun it went into safe mode and the red warning light came on. As I

was almost at my destination I just parked up for 3 hours. Came out re-started no red

light, out of limp mode, but still the engine warning light on.

Took to my local garage today. Reading NSR problem, nothing they could see. Switched

warning off and I have it back at home. This last check done FOC.

I'm seriously thinking the ABS Relucter Ring may be falling apart. Any other suggestions.

I no longer want to crawl under cars being 73, I want to rely on my instruments and want to

get fixed - without needing a second mortgage that a Main Dealer would need.

Oh and I'm sensitive to my vehicles, after 1.5 million miles.

GGDad-1 

May as well try and keep this moving as at some time I'll find the answer that just could help others.

I didn't ask for the fault code, I will if there is a next time into the garage.

My garage thought it was a softish tyre, they say the indications were of under-rotation on the NSR.

That is twice, after the first time ATS checked the tyre, no problem there and sealed the rim. With a second

warning I've now changed the wheels around so I know there is no longer any tyre/wheel status quo. While

the wheel was off I removed the ABS sensor, there was the slightest sign of dirt which has been removed. I

was surprised the garage hadn't had this out, but obviously not as there was road dirt in the fixing. They did

tell me the Relucter Ring was fine, but I've ordered 2 from XTypeParts.com and should the warning lights come

back  (As I think they will) the next move will be to replace these - both sides, no good changing 1, that's asking

for problems developing on the other side.

The Big test will be on Monday when we're going to Weymouth, only a 40 mile round trip, but recently enough to

have lights coming on. More to follow as I chase this fault.

GGDad-1

O.K Monday is a while back - It's Wed now, but just getting around to airing my frustrations.

So we drove to Weymouth, great, just as it should be. Began to think cleaning the NSR ABS sensor

was the key. NO !! on the way back the ABS light came on again & with it the snatch between overun & drive.

Worse than that being a manual box I changed down rolling down a steepish hill into Swyre to be ready for

accelerating up the hill as you come out of the village. During the change the engine cut-out, but back in gear

it brought it back to life. Stopped at home to drop the wife & shopping off. Decided to take it to the garage

as they requested, on the re-start the ABS light went out and the MIL light came on !! Nothing they could do

there and then, but now I have my replacement Relucter Rings here it's booked in for them to replace the NSR.

So will begin the next step onto sorting out WHY the ABS light should come on (with the code showing problems at the NSR).

Has anyone else suffered this annoying fault ????

GGDad-1

• 2 weeks later...

Right to keep all in the picture.

Today I drove to Yeovil the first real mileage since I had a new Relucter Ring fitted to my NSR hub on Tuesday 19th.

No winking lights, there and back fine, everything apparently working as it should. This is the longest mileage without ABS, or MIL lights coming on

since October ?

My mileage is low since we moved to West Dorset and the few short journeys between last Tuesday 19th when the new part was fitted were simply

not a test.

Conclusion is that my fault was a rusting, although visually O.K looking Relucter Ring. The new ring (Not a genuine Jaguar spare) has solved a

problem that my garage had been unable to identify, let alone fix. If you feel that you need to fit replacements to cure persistent ABS & MIL

warnings I would look at replacing. The rings cost £5.95 each from the on line supplier as listed in my message of 10th Jan. My garage did

the fitting and their bill was £57.

A happy bunny again ...................

GGDad-1