x/type 2.2 diesel checking oil level

lesboy

Hi Guys please can someone  tell me if this is normal but I seem to be having a nightmare trying to get an accurate engine Oil level on dipstick I end up trying it several times but not a solid level seen on stick but a broken stream above the max mark is this normal as its driving me potty ?? and I want to ensure level is correct especially in light of the DPF filter generation of fuel into sump chance and overfilling of Oil thanks in anticipation folks .

Hi Les and Welcome to the Club,

As you did not say what method you're following to check the Oil level apologies in advance if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here but: -

1. Start and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached.
  2. Stop at engine and what for ten minutes or so to allow the bulk of the Oil to flow back to the sump.
  3. Pull the Dip Stick and wipe it clean.
  4. Re-insert the dip stick making sure to press it home onto it seating.
  5. Pull the dip stick out to get your first reading.
    1. You should be looking for a clear line across the width of the dip-stick between the Min and Max markers. You can ignore any vertical streaks, that do not cover the entire width of the dip-stick, above the Max marker as these will result from contact with the dip-stick barrel.
  6. Leave for five minutes and repeat to get a second reading.

If you still cannot get a reading you are comfortable with the next bets option is to drain the Oil and refill with a measured amount.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve I had done all that but the dipstick seems a very flimsy piece of crap which allows it to wander still I got fed up with it and had an oil/filter change today so will monitor closely !

Hi Jes.

Yes checking the Dipstick is a nightmare, the way Cubist mentioned is probably the best way off checking the Dipstick.

As you mentioned about having a Diesel Particulate filter, i hope you have used a Low Ash C1 Oil WSS M2C 934B this number is not mentioned in the x type Handbook and jaguar couldn't advise me on the Oil needed to use with an engine with a DPFILTER.

It was Castrol who gave me the information that i needed, when filling with Oil i just add 5 and1/2 litres some xj owner's those with a Dipstick have the level between the low level and maximum level so that if a Regeneration is disrupted and diesel enters the sump it won't push the level above the maximum level which can cause problems.

The best way is to change oil and use genuine jaguar fuel and oil filters and remember how much oil you have added  and when the next time you  check the oil level and providing that you have know leaks and the Dipstick is showing a level below the minimum level do not add Oil as this is your first reaction and if you have know oil warning light you should be quite happy that everything is as it should be.

I checked my oil level yesterday and had 2 readings with the level below minimum so i am going out now to do another check.

With having a Diesel Particulate filter you should never switch off the engine when a Regeneration is taking place the way you will know it is happening, is the Revs will be higher by about 150 when the engine is idling and the exhaust will making a noise like it has a hole in it and their also could be a burning smell also some members also see less miles per gallon when a Regeneration is taking place. I use premium diesel and sometimes drive quite aggressively and using the Revs like when coming out off a roundabout and touch wood i have had know problems with the DPFilter.

Regards Tom.

Thanks Tom 

I had it done at my friends car /tyre business and they used the recommended Ford low ash Oil /filter I have not had any DPF  issues as yet but I do very little mileage and a few short journeys but try to give it  a blast for a few miles once or twice a week time will tell I guess .

Hi Les.

I'm like you i do about 6,000 per year, it doesn't matter about mileage per year as long as we don't do a lot of short journeys as the engine doesn't reach the temperature needed to start a Regeneration.And another thing is the Air Conditioning they say it should be used at least once a week to stop the seals from leaking which I'm afraid i never do and always keep the climate control setting to Auto as this stops any misting.

Regards Tom.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Post in Event Ludlow Racecourse Shropshire 16th June 2024
      Not long now to Ludlow. It sold out before the event last year it is very popular.

To book a ticket in advance go to EVENTBRITE or Message me. 

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies

Forums

News

Membership