S - Type Rust Problems

S - Type Driver 2022

Hello

Im new to the Jaguar club I was hoping someone on here could give me some guidance on my much loved 2003 2.5 Litre V6 Jaguar S Type which has covered 65,000 miles. I took it for a service today at a trusted garage who called me back into the workshop because they had discovered that both rear jacking points, rear sub frame and sills are badly rotten, I asked them to estimate to cost for the rust to be repaired and was informed it would cost within the £2000 mark and considering I paid £2600 for the car in December I’m not sure I’m prepared to pay for the work to be carried out.

I bought the car as my first car and have been learning to drive in it, I’m very close to passing my test so need to make a decision on the cars future fairly promptly but under no circumstances do I want it to be scrapped as the interior and general bodywork is in very good condition, if anybody has any advice I’d greatly appreciate you passing it on because I’m really struggling on weather I should sell the car on with an MOT or sell it for spares and repairs the garage recommended I sold it on whilst I can still get some of my money back out of it.

Many Thanks 

Cameron 

My first bit of advice would be to get another couple of quotes for the repairs from other garages & then decide what action to take then. You might also be better off trading your jag in for another car in a part exchange deal with a reputable dealer who ,even in view of the cost to them of doing the repairs on your jag, might give you a better deal knowing they are going to make a profit on the car that they sell you.

1 hour ago, walter said:

My first bit of advice would be to get another couple of quotes for the repairs from other garages & then decide what action to take then. You might also be better off trading your jag in for another car in a part exchange deal with a reputable dealer who ,even in view of the cost to them of doing the repairs on your jag, might give you a better deal knowing they are going to make a profit on the car that they sell you.

Thank you for your advice and reply, I am going to pick it up tomorrow from the garage it’s currently at and then get 3 or 4 quotes from independent welders to help me make the decision weather I can viably keep the car. I’m prepared to spend up to £1000 to get the rust repaired but that’s my limit because i have also been quoted £700 on servicing and will need 2 new tyres and the car just isn’t worth that amount of money unless someone was going to take it on as a project. I’m keeping my options open and have priced up a couple of low mileage s types and xfs if I can’t afford to keep the car but the last thing I want is for it to be scrapped I will have a look at trading it in as well I hadn’t thought of that thank you again for your help it’s very much appreciated.

Cameron 

• 1 year later...

Hi, new to the club, 

My sills need to be replaced, I am based in Macclesfield and hoping that  S Type Jaguar owners can  advice me where they had their sills replaced

and the cost in the Cheshire area.

GP

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted this on a similar thread.

I have literally just gone through this with my S-Type R 2002. I had similarly rusty sills and when the undertrays and skirts were removed it wasnt pretty. Its ended up costing me £2500 in metalwork having them replaced on both sides. There were three panels that come together and they had all started to rust badly. The sills are open at the ends so water gets in and rots them. I also have rust starting to show in the rear passenger door opening by the sill plate.

I think if it's started to go, you are going to have to spend money on metalwork and welding pretty soon now if you want it to be solid and last.

I'm based near Coventry, West Midlands and the guy that did my car is very good and I would recommend.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership