New to Jags

knightsmith

Hello,

I'm Trevor from Devon . I this afternoon took posession of a 2012 XJ supercharged with all the trimmings ( ex jag directors car).

Having previously owned an Aston martin DB9 (what a disaster) I am overjoyed.

As i've only had the car a few hours i'm still working my way round it (how to use the telly and bluetooth headphones and the like).

So any hints or tips on anything would be appreciated.

ATB,

Trevor, ilfracombe, Devon

Hi Trevor....(great name by the way!)

Welcome to the club and also to the Jaguar world!

Sorry to hear you had problems with the Aston...hopefully you shouldn't have too many problems with the Jag.

There is some tutorial information in this forum on programming and operating the radio, etc....if not, feel free to ask any questions.

Regards,  Trevor

Well thank you Trevor, it is a great name indeed, although I have changed my name by deed poll to Hendrix!.

Let me telll you how I came about the XJ Supersport , I can nearly even smile about it .

The Aston was in for a service and MOT last week at a posh Aston and Jag dealers in Exeter it is so posh they make me stand on the pavement outside while the wife deals with them inside.

They had lent me a new XF courtesy car which I was very impressed with .

A few hours after arriving home the garage phoned and said the car had passed it's  MOT with flying colours (done elsewhere ) but the mechanics had noticed a serious fault in the transmission and they were waiting for someone from Aston to come down to the garage to assess it, and it would have to go back to the factory to be repaired (under warranty) .

As you can imagine , I was thrilled as I had only had the car a year !

It was parked on the forecourt waiting for the Aston mechanic to arrive from Gaydon, a lady drove into the garage in her Jag to get it serviced, somehow smashed into my Aston, and really mangled it (the Aston chap has since arrived and has estimated the damage at first glance to be £15K-£20K) .

Obvioulsy I didn't want the car any more and as they were low on stock they asked if I would consider a Jag . Being so impressed with the courtesy car I said "yes" , at the same time tugging at the heart strings along the "shattered dreams" theme.

They offered me a new XFR-S plus cash, or the Jag directors XJ Supersport plus cash, which has all the trimmings.

I plumped for the Supersport, and although i've only had it a day, I am thrilled with it,. It will take me a while to get used to the size (although it's only 16 inches longer than the Aston ), and I will probably need planning permission to park it down here in rural Devon.

To cut a long story short, I think this episode is a blessing , the lady is ok, which is the main thing , The Astons aren't all they're cracked up to be (i've had two in a year, both rubbish) . I am extremely impressed with the engineering of the Jag and i'm sure I will be very happy and be able to chuckle about the whole episode one day.

All the best to you all,

Trevor

Sounds like it all turned out for the best!

I have heard the Astons are notoriously unreliable...but they're still a lovely machine.

I hope you enjoy the Jag and pop by the forum any time...would be nice to know how it all pans out for you.

Regards,   Trevor

It will turn out for the best i'm sure.

I must admit I was a bit miffed at first over the Aston, and getting the Jag, looks wise it felt a bit like going out with Miss World and coming home with Suasan Boyle !

Getting used to the looks now, which i would describe as a cross between industrial and a touch of Nascar .

As I said i'm very new to Jags, but liking them more by the minute, far better engineered than the Aston, and faster also !

One quick question from the wife if you don't mind, she said can she use the wirless headphones in the front seat while watching a DVD or the telly, or can they only be used in the back ( It is a Bowers and Wilkins system ) ?

ATB,

Trevor, Devon ( I used to live in Dorset as well)

lol...great analogies!

In reference to the wireless headphones...I imagine that they would be able to be used anywhere within the car (assuming they are bluetooth linked to the devices).

I have attached a link to a Jaguar 'How to Guide' in this post which may assist in programming your devices to the car.

Regards,   Trevor

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/8959-jaguar-audio-connectivity-how-to-guide/

• 3 weeks later...

Had the XJ Supersport for three weeks now, and what a fabulous car it is ! Have now got all the toys working (the headphones just needed batteries ) . Everything has worked out for the best, although i'm not that impressed by Franchise garages .

It is the best car I have ever owned !

I have found one ta (which i have posted somewhere else on this site) a chap who owns a garage that used to service all my cars is going to do it, using genuine Jaguar parts at a fraction of the cost of the franchise place, which won't invalidate my warranty.

ATB,

Trevor

• Like 1