Sluggish pulling off

SJM 2.0D

Hi Jag owners,

As a first time Jaguar owner (and now converted) I thought I'd just say a Hi to everyone here and also a quick cry for help.

My 2005 X-Type 2.0D Sport has spent the last 6 months in Limp Home mode due to a faulty Turbo Actuator resulting in me driving around like a Learner driver.

After an initial diagnosis from Jaguar of faulty injectors and a £900 bill for replacing them along with the fuel filter the problem persisted (Flashing Heat Plug and loss of power). So was then told (after another £65 diagnosis) that it would be £2100 for a new Turbo as the actuator can not be ordered separately!.

Groan, anyhow thankfully an £85 refurb of the actuator off a chap on eBay saved the day and it ran beautifully for a whole month.

Sadly I am worried that all the careful driving has taken its toll as I am now faced with stuttering and hesitant acceleration in low revs, as soon as it picks up it is fine but dropping the throttle results in the car almost bunny hopping. Some Redex was added to the fuel to see if that worked and plenty of smoke is still coming out but no changes to performance.

The Oil is blacker than black so was considering a change to that next but if anyone has any suggestions of things to check (that I can do) it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the club, Simon.

I am sorry to hear of your problems.  Careful driving can take its toll on diesel engines.  The engine Oil in diesels soon turns black, so put an Oil change on hold.

I am not a mechanic and do not get oily hands any more, but I am guessing that all the careful driving you have done has put a lot of soot inside the system that makes the car go.

There is a system that cleans out the engine and improves the performance called Terraclean.  Several people I know and myself have had this service, and if you google the word "Terraclean" you will find a garage in the North East that does the job, and you will also see a video of the job being done.  It is especially good for diesel performance. The cost is around £120.

I had it done to my S Type 2.7D a few months ago and it has given me a much better mpg and also a very responsive engine.

Another little bit of advice which could be helpful.  My engine warning light came on today and I guessed it could be the EGR valve, which was confirmed when I got home and plugged in my OBD2 scanner which came up with the code P0402, which said excessive gas flow to the EGR valve.  Being a Lancashireman, I always go for the cheapest option, so I took the car out to a quiet 5 mile stretch of the A38 and gave it a bit of a burn with the S button switched on, taking the speed up to 70 [ish].  It was a chore that was very enjoyable, too.  Having let the engine cool down for a few hours, the waring light no longer comes on.

Summary: Get the terraclean done and then get out  and give the car a good fast run every now and then   ----   if that doesn't work I am certain that the Angel of the North will wave at you!

Regards,

Peter. 

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I will certainly try this.

It is my first Diesel so you can imagine my horror when I pulled out the dipstick as I thought the pistons were on fire.

Redex's Ultimate clean may have got rid of some carbon but something is still not quite right for this perky car so I will try your advice and report back. Many Thanks

Hi Simon,

Just something I failed to mention.  This is my third diesel. I had my first 20 odd years ago --  it was  a Rover 418 with the Peugeot Turbocharged Engine.  It was quite sluggish on pulling off until the turbo cut in at around 15k revs.  The same car with the normally aspirated engine was slow in acceleration all the time.  The second one was also a Rover but the newer 420 which had the Rover diesel and was a bit quicker off the mark.

Most diesels do not like acceleration too quickly from cold and it is wise to let them take their time for the first few hundred yards.

Regrds,

Peter.

• 4 months later...

Hi Simon, I too have an x type 2.0 diesel sport and I too had the loss of power and the glow plug light flashing. I went down the road of blanking the EGR valve off. This was simply because of the black smoke under acceleration I thought this was loose soot in the valve being blown out due too the output in exhaust gas. After I had done this the car ran smoother in idle but didn't help any with the glow plug light coming on and the loss of power. I would love to hear how your terra clean went because I think I'm a bit sceptical about getting the cylinders checked with the amount of money it costs.

Thanks, chris

Hi Chris,

I never actually went for the TerraClean, mainly due to difficulty sourcing a supplier. The good news is that my car is now fully functioning so I will let you know what problems I have had since its purchase and how I have fixed them:

Problem 1:
Car would cut out and lose complete power forcing me to freewheel into the nearest layby. As soon as the ignition was turned off and on the car would restart.

Solution:
Diagnosed by Jaguar as faulty injectors.
Diagnosis, 4 injectors and a fuel filter cost £900!

Problem 2:
When accelerating and hitting about 3000 Revs and usually in 3rd gear the car would suddenly and violently drop power and go into ‘limp home mode’ this was accompanied by a flashing heater plug light on the dashboard.
Pulling over and restarting the car again reset the problem. This was also occurring alongside Problem 1 however was not picked up by Jaguar in their 1st diagnosis.
Over time this became more and more frequent up to the point that starting it first thing in the morning would straight away put it into ‘limp home mode’ making driving to work and pulling out of junctions very problematic.

Solution:
Diagnosed by Jaguar as a faulty Turbo Actuator.
Cost from Jaguar £60 for diagnosis and a ‘quote’ of £2100 for an entire Turbo unit!

Model number of Actuator checked by local garage and after failing to source a replacement found a company on eBay who refurbish your own unit. Easily removed and sent to them and returned fully working with a 12 month warranty for £85.

At this point the car seemed ok……

Problem 3:
Rare reoccurrence of Problem 2.

Solution:
Contacted Company who refurbished unit who suggested spraying a Turbo cleaner over the arm that connects the Actuator to the Airflow as this can become sooted and stick.
Paid £10 from local Car Part shop and sprayed over arm and also into main air intake, lots of smoke but problem solved.

Problem 4:
Sluggish when pulling off, judders when taking foot off accelerator and whoosing sound from under car when Turbo was kicking in.

Solution:
Split Turbo pipe under car. A common fault for this car and the Mondeo’s apparently which affects airflow meters, fuel mixing and all sorts of technical-electrical things going on.
Cost was £70 from local garage for new hose and labour.

Bingo !! All Fixed

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update,   ---  so pleased that all is now resolved and you can enjoy your car.

The problems you have had and the cures make my 30 minutes with Wynnes EGR cleaner look insignificant.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Simon. It seems I'm having the same problem as your problem number 2 only I took it to a local mechanic and he said it was the fuel pump. I have ignored this because yes, it's a problem with the fuel system in some way but I have it on good advice, some from Peter, that it's more likely something else. Thanks for all the information though. I feel as if I'm learning something new every time I log onto this forum. I may soon be able to fix my own car ha ha. Anyway, thanks Simon and Peter.