Car Ramps?

Claws

Hi Guys 

I need to get a set of ramps, will standard ramps be too high for the low-ish bumpers (front and rear) meaning the bumpers hit the ramps first? will I need to get extensions or would a block of wood in front of each do the job?

many thanks in advance for your help 

Steve 

yeah i found my old ramps don't fit,

so instead i invested in a trolly jack and some axel stands ( hopefully they arrive tomorrow as when i had the breaks done i spotted some rust i need to take care of before it gets out of hand) anyway i think the 2 ton jack and 2 axel stands came to 30 something quid ( i bought a creeper too... as they say all the gear and no idea haha)

take a look:

www.sgs-engineering.com

Thanks Guys

Derek thanks for the heads up on the extensions, fortunatley i still have a trolley jack, so i may just go for the Axle stands, seems the simplest solution, especially (now i think of it) as storage for ramps would be problematic.

Thanks Tim for the link, looks like a good site

Steve

My ramps won't fit under the front of my Sport, not sure if this fits lower than standard, but they happily go under the back, so you would work for doing the exhaust swap Steve. They have ramps and extensions on eBay if you don't have any, and I'm looking at getting some extensions for my ramps as I'll need them for the S-Type and my MGF...

Cheers Russ

As you have the sports model, same as i do, do you know by chance whether it's a lower ride than a none sport model?

The reason i ask, is now (having looked around) i'm worried whether a standard trolley jack will go under, or whether i need to get a 'Low profile' one. i'm on 18" rims, so a fairly low profile tyres as well.

I cant check, as my normal trolley jack is about 50 miles away!

My normal profile jack goes under fine Simon, and even the sport is not that low compared to some.

Also, Derek, you mention buying ramp extensions which were rubbish. Before this morning I didn't realise there were such things, but now I do, I want some! What was the issue you had, or would you recommend avoiding the extensions altogether and going for trailer ramps? 

Cheers :)

hi russ, the extensions i bought were only just long enough to clear the front lower bumper/skirt, it would of been to risky to drive up and down them considering the suspension movement/bounce on entering and exiting them, and they were also very narrow.. you need the angle to be very shallow to get  good clearance at the front end, hence the longer trailor ramps i bought, which are ideal for lowered cars, and you can even stop half way up them with solid blocks of wood under one end of them if your just tinckering. better than any ramp or fannying with two axle stands.

4 hours ago, Claws said:

Cheers Russ

As you have the sports model, same as i do, do you know by chance whether it's a lower ride than a none sport model?

The reason i ask, is now (having looked around) i'm worried whether a standard trolley jack will go under, or whether i need to get a 'Low profile' one. i'm on 18" rims, so a fairly low profile tyres as well.

I cant check, as my normal trolley jack is about 50 miles away!

No! sport models sit at the same height as non sports.

I changed all my shocks/springs from comfort to sport and then had the front springs lowered to match rear (rear sits 25mm lower due to lpg tank)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, so same ride height but different spring rates on the Sport then? I thought as much but hadn't had this confirmed. Does anyone else know other differences with the Sport, different shockers or anything else?

Cheers, Russ

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Just an update on the ramp situation, it's not good news.

i bought a standard pair and as you will see from the pics, they are just too high for my liking  :thumbdown: also the rear pipe (right hand side) is hanging low and to the right, my concern is twofold,

1) it could snag on the ramp on the way up,

2) When the sports boxes go on, the pipes are a lot wider than the standard kit so are at risk of 'grounding ' and causing god knows what damage! (I would of course put them on the concrete not on the grass!)

So what are my options? Lay timber in front of ramps to lift her higher as she approaches them? jack the car up and use axle stands? jack her up as high as possible, use axle stands, pack out under the trolley jack to lift even higher and hopefully slide the ramps in place?

I am also considering using two scaffolding boards, cutting them in half and fix them together to double the thickness, but would need to find a way to attach to the ramps to stop them twisting and dropping the car off! I just don't have the storage space for extensions, whereas scaffold boards could be just left outside.

As always any thoughts, ideas greatly appreciated 

Regards

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.db7367fc879da53c013a4feimage.thumb.jpeg.374e27cf23562acdf17cc32image.thumb.jpeg.c03735f2225c3619f18724bimage.thumb.jpeg.7cd0d8985831447945ae37aimage.thumb.jpeg.cfb8d219effeba895270bc1image.thumb.jpeg.f294ae4833e74416c396a35image.thumb.jpeg.8ba33358aef562cfe7b5224

well i did say that didn't i, you should of bought used trailor ramps, i used timber at first but it's a bit dodgy, if it moves when you drive up and down. do it properly or you might regret it, sorry for the bad news. derek.

Thanks Derek 

and yes you did mention trailer ramps, but as I mentioned in my post I have no space to store them.

Do you see any other options open to me, other than the ones I'm considering ?

regards

Steve

yes you could get a couple of lengths scaffold or one cut in half,  they would give you a good low run up, but i would support the weight along the length with 3x2 2x2 and so on to stop them giving way, you can buy short trailor ramps, mine are only 5ft, if you live near me your are quite welcome to come round and use mine, i'm m33 area.

Apologies Derek

should have replied sooner.

Firstly many thanks for the offer of using yours, but quite a trek for something I'm hoping will take about an an hour or so to sort, it really is appreciated though.

I will figure a way to support the boards if I go that route, I'm leaning towards the simple solution axle stands, one side at a time for a little more safety, with the spare wheel under the back wheel also 

many thanks again 

Steve