Tyres for 2010 XK

ghb

Just had my 2010 XK Portfolio Coupe MOT'd and absolutely no issues mechanically although my rear tyres are "sailing close to the wind" of legality.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for a good tyre which will not require the inclusion of an arm or a leg in the asking price?

Seriously, looking for a good tyre at a reasonable charge. I do less than 5000 miles per year although this will be on all sorts of road surfaces.

Also wondering how I can improve the ride ? Car is great as a cruiser on motorways and good roads although it is a very hard ride.

Is there a "quick fix" in order to improve the ride? Different shock absorbers or whatever? Grateful for suggestions.

Appreciate everyone's time to read this and to assist.

Have a look at the Halfords website.  Click on tyres, put in your Reg Number and you will get a list of tyres with prices and EU status.

There will also be some good offers, although you need not buy them from Halfords.

The ones on my Car are Goodyear Eagle which got the best rating  -- 18" 245/40/97R -- £128 a corner.

On the ride, check you tyre pressure to see if the pressures are correct.

Peter.

Peter, Many thanks for such a quick reply and also for such an informative reply.

Unfortunately I have 20" wheels so the cost will be a bit higher although that is an excellent price that you pay.

The issue with the ride is not the tyre pressure as these are monitored and checked very regularly. Car is (or at least seems to be) set up as a racing/sports car and has quite a hard ride. I am looking to reduce this harshness and wondered if it was a simple case of changing shock absorbers or whether there would be more work involved.

Going to check out the Halfords site now.

Cheers

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I think the set up on the XK is  for a harder "sports" style ride.  I have heard that smaller wheels on the XK can give a more comfortable ride.

There are, I believe, different suspension settings on the s type  in respect of the SE and the R versions, and possibly the Sport version.  I have the SE which gives a very comfortable ride.

Regards,

Peter.

20 inch wheels will give you the hardest ride due the lower profile of the tyres. A change to 19 inch or even 18 inch wheels & tyres would certainly make the ride a little softer but at quite a cost. 

I have used Dunlops on my 2007 XK and have the same on my current 2010 XKR. The XK was 19 inch and the XKR is 20 inch - Dunlops at both diameters have been very good.

I usually get tyres from mytyres.co.uk - delivery is very good and their prices are very competitive - particularly if you want winter tyres (which I fully recommend).

Have also heard that Michelin have been very good on the XK/XKR - but an annual mileage of only 5000 would probably not justify their premium price - but the do last very well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks very much for this.

It is Dunlops which I have on my XK and I have had good mileage and use out of them. I have just hunted around both locally and on the web for the same tyres and prices are reasonable just now, There is also very little variation in price. No major bargains to be had on the web- unfortunately!!

I did look into using winter tyres as I have tried to use the XK in cold weather and it is a pretty expensive sled!!!!! The cost of the tyres and the storage etc put me off, although I also have a Range Rover Autobiography with the 5.0 litre supercharged engine so do not really need them. I live quite high up so we do get a reasonable amount of snow and ice.

I may look around to see if I can see a reasonably priced set of 19" wheels. If the option of shockers is not on then it is possibly a better way to go to reduce wheel size.

Once again, many thanks for your input

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi John

Thanks very much for this.

It is Dunlops which I have on my XK and I have had good mileage and use out of them. I have just hunted around both locally and on the web for the same tyres and prices are reasonable just now, There is also very little variation in price. No major bargains to be had on the web- unfortunately!!

I did look into using winter tyres as I have tried to use the XK in cold weather and it is a pretty expensive sled!!!!! The cost of the tyres and the storage etc put me off, although I also have a Range Rover Autobiography with the 5.0 litre supercharged engine so do not really need them. I live quite high up so we do get a reasonable amount of snow and ice.

I may look around to see if I can see a reasonably priced set of 19" wheels. If the option of shockers is not on then it is possibly a better way to go to reduce wheel size.

Once again, many thanks for your input

Cheers

We seem to have much in common , I just got a 2012 xkrs and have a 2013 range rover as well , just check the weather and leave the jag in garage when its wet

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I got a stunning deal on some Winrun R330's, look to be a ripoff of the PZero and they've transformed the handing of my S-Type Sport. W rated 168mph with solid C's for fuel and wet grip. You didn't say the size you wanted but I got a full set of 245/40/18's for £216 all in!

My next Jag will have a supercharger, which is why I'm lurking on these X100 and X150 forums, thinking about XKR coupes :yes:

2 minutes ago, Russ68 said:

My next Jag will have a supercharger, which is why I'm lurking on these X100 and X150 forums, thinking about XKR coupes :yes:

It was an S Type 4.2l that pointed me towards an XK X150 - both of which I had for three years each. Whilst I was really satisfied with the 4.2 XK, I always lusted after the 5.0l XKR which I now have.

Would thoroughly recommend the XKR - the X100 if it is to be a weekend car or the X150 if its a daily drive.

Sorry - off topic :whistling:

Cheers John, not a daily driver as it will actually car number 5 in the fleet! Luckily I have space at work to keep them all. The budget won't stretch to the X150 at the moment, although one day I will have one. So an X100 XKR coupe is what I have in mind, I'd like to fettle it back to A1 condition, as I have been doing with the S-Type, which is coming along nicely and needs to be finished before I'll take on the XKR, so I have 6-12 months to wait I think.

Interesting you came to the XKR via XK and S-Type, well done for realising that ambition! The S-Type is seriously underrated IMO but almost no tuning you can do to the normally aspirated ones, whereas the XKR can be remapped and pulleys changed for serious gains, this would be my intention along with the Racing Green sequential shifters. I hope I can get one before the prices inevitably go up. I will start a thread about this on the correct forum nearer to the time as there is a ton of stuff I'd like to know...

Sorry we're off topic, and seriously, those Winruns are very good for the price or even twice the price :yes: