Drive Safe - an Android App for safer driving

Drive Safe is an App that makes it safe to have an Android mobile phone in a car. It auto-senses when you are in a car that is moving. Once movement is detected it forwards all incoming voice calls to voicemail and auto-responds to all text messages with a message to say that you are driving and cannot respond at this time.

Why is auto-sense better than speaking on the phone on ‘hands-free’ ? The answer is in a single word - SAFETY. In 2016 research at the University of Sussex established that drivers using a hands-free phone are just as distracted as those using holding it in their hands. Scientists found that phone conversations can cause the driver to visually imagine what they are talking about using a part of the brain that is normally used to watch the road. The study involved 20 male and 40 female volunteers who took part in video tests while sitting in a car seat behind a steering wheel. One group of volunteers were allowed to "drive" undistracted while another two heard a male voice from a loudspeaker 3ft (0.9m) away. Those who were distracted by the voice engaging them in conversation took just under a second longer to respond to events, such as a pedestrian stepping off the pavement, an oncoming car on the wrong side of the road or an unexpected vehicle parked at a junction. The study showed that asking a simple question - such as, "where did you leave the blue file?"- during phone conversations could mean a driver concentrates on an area four times smaller than normal, because their brain is imagining the room where they left the file, instead of checking for hazards in front of them.

Other studies have suggested that phone conversations in a car are more off-putting than listening to the radio or talking to a passenger, A passenger chatting in a car is less distracting, the researchers argue, because both stop talking when the driver needs to concentrate.

I know that this is true from my own experiences. About twenty years ago I was driving home down a narrow side street. The road ahead was clear and I was approaching a junction. Suddenly, without any warning, a young child darted out from between two parked cars and appeared before the front of my car. I braked but it was not enough - the front of my car touched the child who landed on the bonnet and then fell in the road in front of me.

The child was slightly bruised but was otherwise unhurt - and very shocked. The child’s mother who came out of her house was angry with me for hitting her child. The police were called and breathalysed me, as was (and is) standard procedure. I had not been drinking. I think I must have been driving at around 5 mph when I hit the child. Everyone could see that this was a completely blameless accident and I had braked the instant I became aware of the child who was completely obscured by the parked cars. But a one-second delay in my braking could have led to serious injuries to the child. 

I think back to this incident almost every time I get into a car to drive it. If I had been talking on a phone when I saw the child and braked … it does not bear thinking about. This is the beauty of Drive Safe.

Drive Safe is available for Android. It was written by an Irish student, Andrew Irwin, who is trying to get people driving safely and is building his name as a cool App developer. 

To get the App for free after installing it and testing it out you just have to recommend it to one other person.

It is simple and is not bloated with features and functions which add unnecessary complexity. With Auto-Start it just detects when I am on the move and stops me taking calls or answering texts. The law currently says drivers can use hands-free phones, sat navs and two-way radios, but if the police think the driver is distracted and not in control of the vehicle, they could get penalised.

It might be useful not just for keeping drivers safe but also for helping kids with ADHD. Putting a phone into Drive Safe mode would allow a child to concentrate on what is happening around him when travelling, rather than just staring at the texts and phone calls arriving. It could even save lives as kids use their phones as they cycle without understanding the risks from traffic. 

Edited by AliKelman
Added a mention of the law on ths point

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership