Automatic Gearbox Fault

Lord Sladacre

Hi Dave,

Thank you - there is i am convinced much in what you say. My strategy is to speak with the garage tomorrow 0700 - book it in. i can relate the story so far and provide work sheets / invoices - purely for the history. i think it is key that i start with rectifying the constant appearence now over many mnonths of the EML. It is the cat / lambda sensors i had removed and cleaned - didnt do the trick some month back. 

Bite the bullet replace the cats and see what the codes / DSC issue is. i think lioke you it is in layers - resolve one better expose the other or next issue !!

I will keep you posted, have a good week.

Regards

Dominic

Hi Dominic - crikey, a garage that opens at 7am??? 😮

I think i would look at getting the pre and post cat Lambda sensors eplaced before the cats, purely on a cost basis and also the fact the sensors are more likely to be tired/failed than the cats.

Will be interesting to hear what the garage has to say and what the codes are.

I think this week is going to be a hectic one with various things happening!

Hi Dave,

I think you are right. i called them at just after 0700 this morning - all very well received, they want the invoices for work done, spreadsheet and everytging that I have since ownership - which is massive since 2017 !! All very impressive. Booked in from 1630 hrs on Tuesday 05 Dec - for Wednesday / Thursday.

Today the n/s headlamp jet washer cover fell off whilst washing the car. The previous garage obviously had broken the flimsey clips which fit it to either the original jag part or the cruciform (missing) that attaches between the jets - when they removed the bumper to fit the n/s headlamp. i have a suspicion that the washer system has become u/s. If it doeas not push the covers off (I shall try it tomorrow) i am tempted to glue the cover back on. Will I be banned from the S- Type Club ????? Is this sacrilidge? Just not sure i can afford the upcoming EML , DSL bill - as well as this on top !

The joys of motoring..............

Thanks Dave for your input - i really do appreciate it.

Regards

Dominic

It sounds as if they want to see what's been done and if this is an ongoing problem Dominic. As for the NS headlamp washer jet cover :

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/xr856387xxx-jet-cover.html?code=11868

It says out of stock, maybe because the last 3 characters in the part number (i believe) should be the colour code so won't show uncoloured parts. I suspect it broke because it's 20 years old, no reason to touch it to remove the bumper for headlamp removal.

Easy way of finding if the system is U/S is to get your glamorous assistant to sit in the car with the engine running and headlamps on and operate the screenwash - the headlamp washers jets should rise up under water pressure and then squirt when raised.

Whether that's helpful to know whether you can glue it back on or not is another matter. You might be better off putting a wanted ad on here or perhaps trawling eBay for a replacement than trying to glue it on.

Would these be the cruciform clips you mean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404269387993

If so, it might be a cost effective solution!

Hi Dave,

Thanks again ! I got my glamourous assistant , igniton on 2, dipped lights on and press end of stalk - I said Dave advised this !! - to grab the bugger if it showd itself, it didnt - nor did she get wet. The latter i was grateful for or I might now have a limp. !!!!

i araldited the bugger on, a sin I know. Why get a crazy weak system up and running?

i attachea shot of my assistant (May this year at premier Air Show - Biggleswade - with Jag).

Have a good week,

Kind regards

DominicAirshowTedMay23.thumb.JPG.51fbbe593f318733bd737a80a8a7d101.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Sladacre said:

igniton on 2, dipped lights on and press end of stalk

Hmmmm, not quite Dominic .........

On 11/27/2023 at 9:27 PM, LairdScooby said:

the engine running and headlamps on and operate the screenwash -

I'm not 100% sure on this but many cars i've known with headlamp power washers will only operate the headlamp wash pump if the engine is running and alternator charging as the pumps take a lot of power. You'll hear the headlamp wash pump if it works over the engine if it is going to work, if not could be a fuse or relay that's dead.

I understand not bothering to get a weak system up and running, i'm just a fussy article and if it's fitted i like it working - that said the AC doesn't work in my Jag at present thanks to a leaky pipe. I do plan on getting it working though as it really needs the AC to help demist the screen, especially in the current weather!

I'm currently suspecting my coolant level is a little low as it tends to blow cold from the heater while pootling around town so i must get out there and check that soon!

Hi Dave,

i did have dipped on, engine runnig, Lynne at the ready to grip the sprayers. Nothing happened ! The araldite worked - despite the temperatures. I fully understand and it goes against the grain not to proceed to get the washer system working again - as it once did in my early ownership. Purely funds.

The spreadsheet tells me that absolutely everything that i have had done, wishbones, rear suspension, arms, CV's mots, front coil springs all maintenance and services, plus waxoyl - plus purchase in 2017 (£2.5k) - i have "invested" £12.5k over 6 yrs and 40k miles. next week EML / sensors - cats and dmc could be £1200.

My a/c stopped shortly after purchase. Required various drive motors which were hard to source. Eventually got them in the USA, £600. I hope your experience will be better than mine.

Kind regards

Dominic 

• Like 1

I obviously misunderstood Dominic when you said ignition on position 2 - normally to me that means engine not running. If the engine was running and nothing happened when it should have done then it's fair to say your headlamp washers don't work at all. Could be a fuse, relay or something more complicated.

I do like to have AC working on cars that are meant to have it, my Volvo (predecessor to the Honda) had AC but the previous owner had the evaporator removed thanks to incorrect diagnosis on why there was no air coming out of any of the outlets from the heater! Turned out that fault was 3 dry solder joints on a vacuum control module which i fixed. I also sourced a replacement evaporator but never got round to recommissioning the AC on the Volvo.

I do however fully intend to source a replacement pipe for the AC on the Jag and get it up and running as it should be, only trouble is that for mine, the pipe in question is either NLA or the sharp end of £500, the jury is out on which pipe exactly it is! However, i suspect i could get a replacement made by Pirtek or a similar firm for considerably less.

Any news on the diagnosis of the EML so far?

Good morning Dave,

You are right. Initially I had the ignition on 2, and nothing happened re jet washers. i then started the engine and tried again - still nothing. The only positive was that my assistant didnt get wet !!

The EML/DSC issues are hopefully to be resolved from Tuesday next. The car goes in @ 1600 on Tuesday - saves me getting it there for 0700 next day! I shall of course keep you posted accordingly.

How are you managing in snowy Suffolk? A beautiful county - some good pictures on BBC in snowy conditions, but rarely convenient for those that need to move around!

Kind Regards

Dominic

• Like 1

Hi Dominic - i was a bit unsure if you'd tested it both ways, by rights you should be able to see the headlamp washers operate from the drivers seat, i certainly can on my Honda and even on the Volvo before it where it was wash/wipe (so lower water pressure) i could tell if they were working.

Fingers crossed for tuesday/wednesday then, hopefully it's only the pre and post cat sensors at fault.

Not seen any snow as yet round here, seems to be Ipswich area which is almost as far east in Suffolk as i am west. Hopefully it will miss me!

Hi Dave,

Indeed. I recall I could see the spray jet (drivers side) hitting the lamp - many moons ago.

I will let you know of course how Tuesday / Wednesday goes and what the findings / remedy is.

Good - so no snow for you, same here.

have a good w/e

Kind regards

Dominic

• Like 1

HI Dominic,

been a bit of a hectic few days for me, hopefully you'll have some answers on the Cat EML codes etc later. Shame your headlamp washers packed up, it sounds as if you entrust all your car jobs to garages, am i right? If so that could become an expensive hobby getting them to fix things like the headlamp washers.

We've had a few light dustings of snow but nothing that's even laid for a short while.

Hi Dave,

still awaiting a costing of the work on the Jag. It seems from a garbled message yesterday that one of the cats is burnt out - sensors may be u/s. As the car went into "reduced performance" on Tuesday and misfired badly, they want to replace the plugs as well. I remain far from convinced of the voracity of all of this - but we shall see.

i do entrust the garage witghh all the work, over the last 6 yrs. Difficulties have only recently arisen - since the EML light. The garage agree with you that this has compounded a number of  issues.  i will keep you posted.

Kind regards

Dominic 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear the garage want to replace the plugs, assuming their diagnosis of a dead cat is correct, the most common cause is overheating, usually due to unburned fuel entering the cat - this usually comes from defective plugs not firing the mixture correctly.

With this in mind i would strongly advise an oil/filter change while it's in there, i know this will cost a bit more but will help keep the VVT mechs functioning as they should, a sticky solenoid on the bank where the cat has died could also be a possible cause as the valves would be opening more on the other bank to admit more fuel/air but if the valves didn't open as they should, the extra fuel would be wasted and sent out into the cat.

Also the much more basic reason of possible fuel contamination of the Oil.

Given the misfires and the fact one cat is dead, i would suggest new sensors, both banks, pre and post cat so 4 sensors in all. I know this is going to hit you in the wallet area quite painfully but this is where the old adage of "A stitch in time saves nine" really applies to modern day stuff. In other words, if the problem had been investigated and fixed back then, the chances are that there wouldn't be a collection of compounded problems now.

As far as the Lambda sensors go, they have a working life of ~100k miles or 10 years, in practice they normally reach 120k miles without problems but their performance drops considerably as a result. In some parts of the USA, notably California (and some other states but can't remember which) a mandatory fitment at build is an "Emissions Timer". This runs for 10 years or 100k miles and then puts a fault onto the engine management system. It can only be removed by fitting new Lambda sensors and emissions timer and then resetting the EML.

Fingers crossed they can find a cost effective way of doing this all for you!

Hi Dave,

Thank you - Brilliant. They intend to do 2 sensors (£100 each) - pre and post on the dead cat and replace the cat.  All new plugs. They have had the manifold off - and will replace the gasket. £1200 in all. I shall request an Oil / filter change - good thinking !!.

Will keep in touch, thanks again for the benefit of your impressive knowledge, I appreciate it.

Kind regards

Dominic

• Like 1

That all sounds good Dominic - from experience with V6 Lambda sensors (Rover with the Honda engine, not Jag) i would be very tempted to get the sensors on the other bank done too.

Because of the age/mileage thing, they do tend to fail close to each other so it's preventing a future breakdown, not to mention it should make the engine livelier and hopefully more fuel efficient.

Will be interested to learn your first impressions of driving it with the work done!

Little anecdote for your from my Rover 827 Coupe - V6 with one Lambda per bank. During the MoT test, the CO reading suddenly started climbing from 0.1% (easy pass) to way past 9% (definitely a fail!) and the test was failed and i took the car home to investigate the cause.

Halfway home (it was about 40 minutes drive home so ~45 minutes after the CO climbed on the emissions tester) the EML came on which meant i then had a code to read. Nice and easy on that car, look under the drivers seat and count the long and short flashes of the red LED on the ECU and look up the meaning.

Turned out to be the rear bank Lambda sensor so i ordered a pair and renewed both front and rear bank sensors. Removed the caat and soaked it overnight in hot water and half a dozen or so dishwasher tablets. Rinsed it with water the next day, blew it dry with the airline and gave the outside a squirt from a satin black rattle can and refitted it.

On the re-test, the CO came up at 0.00% so was a pass but the tester was wandering around muttering "Why can i smell lemons?" - if only he knew but it cleaned the cat out nicely! 😛

Hi Dave,

That is a great story !! Fantastic, thanks for sharing. I fully take your point -  I am simultanaeously trying to reduce an unexpectedly large tax bill, due at the end of January ! Many things seem to financially conspire against us, just at the wrong time. I appreciate i might be back doing the other cat shortly plus sensors......but I have to take the risk it wont be next month !

I appreciate your advice and thank you for your continuing interest. You have helped me greatly. Hopefully the car will be back on Tuesday / Wednesday this coming week. I shall certainly give you my first impressions upon driving it.

Thanks again Dave,

Kind regards

Dominic 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

The car returned @ 1600 hrs. Work done: New CAT, new plugs, manifold gaskets, Oil change / filter. they had quoted for  pre / post sensors - but decided that the originals were in good condition and functuoning as they should, so did not fit. They reckon the originals are better quality than the after market.

The bill was £1300 - although they had mistakenly transposed the estimate which had presumed a sensor change - i chaecked when i got home and will now get a £235. refund tomorrow, spoken to them on the phoine.

The car drives so much better, difficult to describe. Smooth - a real Jaguar. Funny, i recentl came home from Yeovil and thought, that wasnt very enjoyable. The car seemed laboured, poor mpg, only 24,  as if i had the brake on one wheel, uncomfortable. there was nothing in unison - I like to think that i am atuned to engines / gearboxes / brakes and axles ! This afternoon felt right !!

The overall bill will be abot £1100, good value  - time will tell, if she needs more in time, i will do it !

i will be gonig to Draycott, Somerset on Friday - so  can monitor performance / mpg etc. Looking forward to no lights, particularly EML - seen it for two years !!

Regards

Dominic

• Like 1

I've had a hectic few day Dominic - been intending to respond but life has got in the way!

Glad to hear your car is now functioning as it should again and vast improvements have been made. Hopefully it should yield a few more mpg and maybe even mph for you now but the fact it's once again driving as a Jag should is a good sign!

Looking forward to your report from tomorrows journey on a longer run! 😉 😄

Hi Dave,

115 miles Dorchester to Draycott, round trip - very busy and mixed traffic flows 27.5 mpg overall. Just as the book says on for those conditions. Very smooth drive 1,750 revs @ 60 mph.

I hope that you had a good day as well.

Have a good w/e

Kind Regards

Dominic

• Like 1

That sounds like a good run Dominic and good performance from your Jag - no EML or other unwanted lights making the dash look unwantedly festive i hope?

My round trip was about half that length and economy was only dragged back up to 20.2mpg after waiting nearly an hour to get out of Addenbrookes multi-storey car park - during that hour it dropped and dropped to under 18mpg as it was all stop-start! 😮

That said, at the moment that's all my Honda is managing but hoping to find the time, dry (preferably warm ish) day to set about sorting the problems causing that.

Is it the weekend already? This week has flown by! Have a good one!

Oh Dave that car park episode, for an hour is just too much. Then having to accept a bound to be mpg degrade to that extent is beyond unreasonable !! Sorry it was such a doubly whammy.

Things can only get better (drier) for us all - a few clear bright days will help you with the planned Honda work too.

Take care and chill this w/e,

Regards

Dominic

• Like 1

Sadly Dominic it was a combination of leaving a busy multistorey and the Cambridge rush hour! 😮

Had to resort to forcing my way out onto a box junction in the end as nobody wanted to either obey the rules of a box junction or let me out.

Nice long walk with the dogs and a close friend this afternoon then she treated us to fish and chips for dinner (saved me cooking) and a nice relaxing evening after. Just taken her and her hound home until tomorrow at least.

Hoping for a warm, dry day tomorrow and the energy and enthusiasm to make a start on the Honda. That's about as close as i'll get to relaxing!

On a slightly more positive note, i topped the coolant on the Jag and it warms up inside quicker now and the hot idle is more stable (not unexpected to be honest) but a nice side effect of the more stable idle is less of a thump as i engage reverse after driving.

Hope you have a good weekend!

A good end to a very irritating and frustrating day by the sounds of it. 

Coolant effect interesting. I must say I keep a constant eye on it, even keeping a bottle in the boot to top up. Like to keep it at max.

Have a good week.

Regards

Dominic

• Like 1