Visit to Dave Davenport Cars

ColinU

Monday evening 9th July the Jaguar Drivers Club, Area 17 (Bedfordshire) of which I am a member, arranged a visit to Dave Davenport Cars, New Farm, Tetworth, Sandy, Bedfordshire.

Dave collects restores & sells old Jaguars and a few other marks.

First he showed us his three traction engines & explained what work he had done to get them up and running.

Next shed was full of cars in various states of neglect, disrepair and most were unrecognisable. A lot were cars he had acquired from people who thought they could rebuild one but after several years had lost interest. There were tractors, lawn mower, even an old industrial Singer sewing machine!

We were then taken to the workshop where 5 or 6 'SS' Jaguars in various stages of rebuild. From a chassis, through to almost complete.

The finishing shed had some real beauties. A beautiful 1947 Mk 4 which cost £750 new, now worth £85,000!

He has several sheds, all under temperature control with a mixture of cars. A beautiful Pontiac Parisienne if your into American cars. A caravan that goes with one of the traction engines, currently being refitted and several other cars

A thoroughly interesting visit which wound up in the Coach House in Potton for snacks and beverages.

See Dave's website http://www.davenportcars.co.uk/

HI S-Jaglover,

Post looks good and Davenport Cars even better. Some impressive cars there.

Reason for my post, where did the Area number come from? It's the first I've seen of it on the forum. If Bedfordshire is Area 17, what is Herefordshire?

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I think you may be muddling two Jaguar clubs.

Area 17 is a division of the Jaguar DRIVERS Club (JDC). http://jaguardriver.co.uk/html/index.html whereas this is the Jaguar OWNERS Club.

Area 34 of the JDC is for Hereford & Worcester.

Incidentally, it's the Jaguar Drivers Club National Day at Rockingham Castle, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. LE16 8TH

Featuring the 21st Anniversary of the XJ220, 50th Anniversary of the Daimler V8 Saloons, 30th Anniversary of the XJS Cabriolet, 80th Anniversary of SS 1 & 11 & 90th Anniversary of Jaguar.

S-jaglover

Hi Dave

I think you may be muddling two Jaguar clubs.

Area 17 is a division of the Jaguar DRIVERS Club (JDC). http://jaguardriver....html/index.html whereas this is the Jaguar OWNERS Club.

Area 34 of the JDC is for Hereford & Worcester.

Incidentally, it's the Jaguar Drivers Club National Day at Rockingham Castle, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. LE16 8TH

Featuring the 21st Anniversary of the XJ220, 50th Anniversary of the Daimler V8 Saloons, 30th Anniversary of the XJS Cabriolet, 80th Anniversary of SS 1 & 11 & 90th Anniversary of Jaguar.

S-jaglover

HI S-Jaglover,

You're only right, I guess I read straight over that in your original post, thanks for the clarification. One would ask why are there different clubs?

Regards,

Dave

HI S-Jaglover,

You're only right, I guess I read straight over that in your original post, thanks for the clarification. One would ask why are there different clubs?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I've no idea why there are different clubs. I guess groups of guys got together and formed them.

Unlike this free club, you have to pay a membership fee to belong to the others. By the way there is also the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club and the E-Type Enthusiasts. These are clubs I know of and there may be more!

Colin

S-jaglover

Hi Colin,

Name changed by deed-poll? :D

I would expect that there might be some specific clubs especially for the E-Type but thought it a little extravagant to have three (maybe more) Jag clubs. I was a little surprised when I logged on here to find there were no membership fees. A previous forum (different brand) would permit free of charge membership with full access but then encourage subscription to help facilitate full club functions. Strange but true.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Thought I'd do a name change ready for winning the lottery tomorrow & buying a brand new XJ & XK-R & one for the wife!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I can dream can't I? -_-

I guess as this club is just basically a forum it does't cost much to run & the advertising pays for the website maintenance.

It claims to be site for making friends so can we be classed as friends?

It's been nice chatting to you, especially a fellow S-type owner. How do you like your car?

Keep getting electrical problems on mine. Nothing that stops it running though. :wacko:

Colin

Hi Colin,

Lottery mmmm sounds good, as they say, "you need to be in it to win it!".

Question, you'd trust the wife with an XKR??? :P

I guess with this many posts - if we were in a pub we'd probably be friends.

As for the S-Type I love it. I've only had this one for about five weeks.

I wrote off a 2l 406 coupe back in 2002 and was looking around for a replacement. S-Type was joint top of the list. I loved the retro styling - true Jaguar!!! But thought it was an old mans car ( ;)) so I opted for a 3l V6 406 coupe. Well, almost ten years later I have the S-Type :D :D :D - does that make me an old man? :blink:

So the car - I'm the second owner, it has 79k on the clock, the car has a couple of issues but stuff I'll resolve over the coming months. I had a small glitch at the start of the week with the engine malfunciton light coming on but cleared after 36 hours - problem was I was on the motorway at the time. Didn't have chance to hook it up to a dyagnostic machine to fully understand the fault - garage said they couldn't do anything so not to worry.........

We'll see.

What model do you have?

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

So if we were in a pub & made friends, mine's a pint. Cheers!!!

Darn it, didn't win the lottery! :(

Yes I would trust my wife in an XKR! After 42 years I've learnt that she can drive quite well.! :wub:

My S-Type

Born 19 December 2005 classed as a 2006 model.

2.7L twin turbo diesel.

Purchased by yours truly in July 2008 from a dealer with 28,000 on the clock.

It gets through rear parking sensors at the rate of one a year, but when the sun shines they work!

Filler door catch broken so held shut with a rubber band!

Radio comes on, goes off, comes on for about the first 2 or 3 minutes after start up.

Often tells me no telephone equipment fitted. Have to stop, switch ignition off then on again to get it to work.

Driver air bag light flashes on & off for a bit then stays on.

Apart from that little list of niggles, it did once throw up an error and go into restricted mode (30mph max) but cleared itself upon restart.

A couple of years ago got stuck on a hill in snow, managed to get going and slithered up the hill with a 'Park Brake error' warning.

Next time I went to use car it started fine but Shift lever wouldn't budge. Long story but got the car transported home (Green Flag) :( . Phoned my independed garage chaps in Milton Keynes. Guy came out New Years Eve about 6pm (about 16 miles to my place), plugged laptop in and cleared alarms. No charge! :D

When I took some wine over later in the week he told we Jaguar had a software update and next time I borough it in he would get it done. it stops the shift lever locking in park & puts the vehicle in restricted mode.

So that's my car for you. Oh yes I love it. It's my first Jag & yes is classed as an old mans car but I am 66 so guess I'm well suited to it.

Colin B)

Hi Colin,

Unlucky with the lottery.

But on the flip-side, you're in a cracking pub, real ale is their speciality, they've got Adnams, Old Hooking, Boondoggle, Spitfire, Ruddles County with many more in the bottle. What'll it be?

My S-Type:

Registered 15th March 2004

V8 Sport (4.2l engine = 300bhp :D )

Other than the malfunction light, I don't appear to have any of the electrical niggles you list, think that would annoy me a little, especially how low your miles are. That said it's good you've got a independent who seems to look after you.

Speak soon,

Dave

This virtual pub is really nice Dave. Lovely ambience and great beers. I'll have spitfire please!

OK so yours is bigger than mine! Engine that is! I'll just watch as you leave me in the dust.

Are you anywhere near Ross-on-Why? We've got friends there though not Jag folk but then not everyone is perfect.

Talk later

Colin

Hi Colin,

Glad you like the pub :)

Yeh, mine has got the bigger engine but with it comes the thirs :mellow: , what sort of mpg do you get from yours?

I'm not too far from Ross, I live a Ledbury which is off junction 2 of the M50.

As to your fraternisation with non-jaguar types, we should not hold it against them, as you say not everyone is perfect, but you bring a beacon of light to them and hopefully when the time is right bring them to pastures new - just do mention all the electrical faults you've been enjoying ;)

Best regardss,

Dave

Hi Colin,

Glad you like the pub :)

Yeh, mine has got the bigger engine but with it comes the thirst :mellow: , you beat me hands down with better economy, what sort of mpg do you get from yours?

I'm not too far from Ross, I live at Ledbury which is off junction 2 of the M50.

As to your fraternisation with non-jaguar types, we should not hold it against them, as you say not everyone is perfect, but you bring a beacon of light to them and hopefully when the time is right bring them to pastures new - just do mention all the electrical faults you've been enjoying ;)

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

MPG, well that depends. If I drive it like a young un then down to about 25 :wacko: but if I stick to being a sedate old man & pensioner then can get up to 34. :)

Although better mpg than you get, I do pay more per gallon for diesel.

Right, my round. What you having?

By the way I live in Leighton Buzzard. :(

Colin :o

HI Colin,

Well I've been quite impressed with the V8 so far, i've been mostly commuting to work - a 34 mile round trip sometimes extended to 50 miles when I have to collect my son from Newent (Junc 3 M50). I've had a run down to Southampton. In general I'm getting 28-30 mpg which is not bad when I'm cruising a little over 80 ;) . Generally I try and be progressive in my acceleration but quite often I've felt the need to floor it both in and out of sport mode :D :D :D.

The mpg mentioned above is as per the trip computer on the dash.

I'd have thought you'd have more than 34.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

28 - 30 mpg from a 4.2L V8. Sounds good to me. Is it auto or manual? :o

I thought 34 was pretty good from my 2.7L V6. That's on a long run which I don't do often so my average is about 30. :unsure:

My previous car, a Chrysler Sebring also had a 2.7L V6 but petrol and I only managed a maximum 27mpg. Average 24mpg. :wacko:

I think that is about normal from what I've heard and a friend at the JDC used to have one but never achieved 30! :)

Jaguar if I remember rated 38 but then manufacturers always get more than can be achieved in real life. :angry:

Colin

Hi Colin,

I was very surprised, guess my question "how accurate is the message centre / trip computer" as I'm taking the mpg from this.

Previously I owned a Pug 406 Coupe 3.0 V6 and was only getting slightly better performance. I think I'll make a couple of records each time filling up and miles achieved and work the mpg manually.

My car is automatic (my first) :unsure: my left foot (could be a movie) doesn't know what to do.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

If my memory serves me right and at times it forgets to serve, :wacko: I'm on my 10th auto so think I can say I have some experience of them.

Compared to my first auto which was a Ford Corsair 2.0 L V4 with 3 speed box the Jag is like having 2 boxes, being a 6 speed! :lol: Had a couple of part time jobs as a driver for a Toyota dealer & then an Alpha Romeo dealer. <_< How I hated the manual cars. Forever stalling them! :(

Multi mode are the worst. You either drive them as a manual but without a clutch (pointless) or put the lever in M but to get it to change you have to lift your foot of the throttle then push down again, as if your driving a manual but without depressing the clutch and shifting the lever (even more pointless). :o

The Toyota Prius was nice to drive but not a nice looking car, but then I don't think any Toyotas are apart from the Land Cruisers. Alfa Romeos are well without being totally rude, crap! :angry:

On that note I think it's time for a night cap. Shall I have a nice single malt from our virtual pub or a Grants that my daughter in law bought for wallpapering her bedroom! Decisions decisions :blink:

I noticed this post has gained a Hot flag. I dread to think what will follow if we keep it going.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I did chuckle when I saw the HOT status, especially knowing the content :P ,

Should I mention the wife had an Alfa? A 156, which was actually very good with none of the faults the brand is plagued with.

I think you need to speak to your daughter in law, buying you Grants for wallpapering - doesn't she know you're supposed to use paste?

As for the night cap, I'm thinking Bushmills.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

This post has definitely gone off topic!

Glad to see you have a sense of humour with the Grants paste, but as for the Bushmills, that's an Irish whiskey. I'm a Scotch whiskey man, probably something to do with having a Scottish grandpappy!

I see my latest contribution, "Recommended independent garages" has been given the seal of approval and 'Pinned' what ever that means.

Enjoy your Bushmills as I enjoy my wallpaper paste!

Colin

Hi Dave

This post has definitely gone off topic!

Glad to see you have a sense of humour with the Grants paste, but as for the Bushmills, that's an Irish whiskey. I'm a Scotch whiskey man, probably something to do with having a Scottish grandpappy!

I see my latest contribution, "Recommended independent garages" has been given the seal of approval and 'Pinned' what ever that means.

Enjoy your Bushmills as I enjoy my wallpaper paste!

Colin

Hi Colin,

Only slightly off topic, but it has got quite a few views, so hopefully people have read you're initial review of Davenport Cars.

Seems we have another thing in common, my mothers family, although moving south decades ago come from Hamilton.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

My Grandad was going to emigrate to Australia. Got as far as Barking, met and married my grandmother, had 4 kids, one being my mother who married my dad, a cockney and the rest is history.

Incidently, the first car I remember my dad having in the late 40's early 50's was a Lanchester. A mark I believed that is owned by Jaguar!

Colin

• 2 months later...

Hi Colin,

How's things? Hope you're doing well? I've been offline for a couple of months - I've been on travel with work an while I've had internet access I just didn't have enough time in the day to log on etc.

One of my uncles managed to emigrate back in the 50s, he still there with quite a large family (grand children and great grand children - they have been very busy ;) ).

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

Was beginning to wonder if you had emigrated to the moon or worse still switched marks!! :wacko:

I've been doing well which is more than can be said for my S Type. Had an £800 bill a few weeks back. Split pipe on the air con which meant removing near side suspension to get to it and air bag sensor in steering column had to be replaced. :angry:

Telephone unit now packed up. Tells me 'Hand set is in use' all the time. Plus rear parking sensors pack up when it rains so therefore haven't worked for weeks. :huh:

Still love the car though, probably because it's a jag! :D

Best.

Colin