Accident Damage

mictop1961

I have just had a unfortunate incident at a local big name superstore I parked the jag up in a parking space did my shopping came out put the car in reverse and pulled thefront bumper off, it turns out the front of the car was on a high kerb coupled with the fact front o/s wheel was in a dip in the carpark surface hence the reason why there was no noise from the front end when I parked the car up. I have put a complaint in with the store manager who took pictures and I am now waiting for them to contact me. Does anybody know how far there liabilty is yes I know they are not liable for damage to cars but then are they liable to a kerb stuck up in the air with no indication, mean while my car is now sat on the drive with the front bumper hanging off

No it is badly damaged and all the under engine panels have been ripped out and the bumper has pushed up under the bonnet which is amazing the damage seeing as I was only pulling out of the space, I am still waiting on the shops reply and the my insurance company (with which I have unlimted protected no claims) are already telling that it will cause a huge increase in my premiums next year. So in the mean time does anybody know a good bodyshop in the Stockport area, as I can't drive it very far.

You might have to check if there any rules about the height of kerbs.  There is not much space over a kerb at the front of an s Type.  I have nearly been caught out a few times, and indeed was with a Rover some years ago.

Hi, Well i'm sorry to hear about your mishap with the kerb.I had an exact same experience just before last Christmas in a pub car park.Many phone calls later they were adamant that they had NO responsibility and pointed out that the car park was well signed stating that. The damage to my car looked dreadful after the event,the front bumper had pushed up either side of the centre grille and the engine under tray was a jigsaw!!!

Like you my insurance company said if i proceeded with the claim(minus my excess) then i could look forward to a substantial hike in next years premium.

One secondhand front under tray later and 2 hours at my local jag guy(not bodyshop) all was put back to how it should be.Total cost to me was £250 which came in at £50 under my excess and the insurance company were not involved.Although i haven't seen your car from my own experience it looked a whole lot worse than what it was.Once the bumper was released from it's fixings under and behind the front wings it all sprung back into place.

The main lesson i learnt was reverse into spaces now,the rear has a lot more clearance.

The promised hike in insurance premium is an interesting fact.  My x type was stolen off my drive  -  I had left the key in for less than a minute - and after some discussion during which I mentioned that the police thought that I was under observation --  there were two people involved -- and that I should be thankful I wasn't dragged out of the car as someone was in the locality the month before, the insurance settled the claim.  My insurance had been renewed as from the day before the theft.

I await the insurance quote which will apply from the 6th June which will put a bit of a damper on my 80th Birthday.

It sounds like the same sort of damage as Lovemyjag as an update the store has accepted liability but it is now in the hands of Head Office of which I am still waited a reply, not good service the car is sat on the drive awaiting repair I can't get the car repaired myself as of yet until I have confirmed decision as to what they are going to do but every little bit of information helps !!!!

Good news that they have accepted liability!! thats a result.Even if they agree to part settlement its a bonus.Wish i had had the same outcome.Has your damage included the wheel arch liners?Mine did and trying to find secondhand ones was a nightmare.

I think its a learning curve for all us S type owners.Keep us posted on the outcome!

Not so good news they now deny liabilty I have to wait for 14 days (but my cars of the road...Tough) then they will write to me with their decision "can I get the car repaired" I asked "Certainly not" they replied so now I am without a car for another two weeks!!!

Hi Michael,Uhm,sounds like someone realises the potential cost to the Jag and is having second thoughts.The last phone call i hd from the pub chain involved said it all really ,something along the line of "Not our liability you parked the car and should have been aware of the potential outcome!" Makes you feel good eh? If you have to stand the cost then i would look round for used panels,Black country Jaguar near Birmingham were very good in supplying what i needed and they were delivered 24hrs later.My experience of bodyshops are that they will want to replace everything new at main dealer prices which has the potential to make it an uneconomic repair from an insurers point of view.You could try asking some smaller good local bodyshops to come out and give you a quote for a "fixed price repair" and you will supply the parts.Normally any bodyshop will not get involved in tracking down used parts.My bumper wasn't pulled off but it was pushed  right up and lifted the bonnet both sides and the bottom skirt of the bumper had pulled forward.Once everything had been released it all sprung back into place,looked horrendous at the time but good as new now.

Good luck,keep us posted.

I work for a bus company so the jag is going into work for one of the bodymakers to have a look even if it's just so I can use the car,

I have had a good look tonight (was to depressed until now nagging from the wife telling me it's only a car!!!!!) the bumper has a crack in it and it is pulled away from the mountings on the o/s/f.The wheel arch liners look ok and the under engine panel will push back, there is a second hand bumper on eBay which is the correct colour but it is in America. So we will have to see the thing is the car is my pride and joy so at the end of the day I don't want to bodge it I will go back to the store on Monday and take some measurements of the kerb ect and see where I go from there.

Hi Michael, i am sure there must be a bumper nearer to home than USA, there are a number of Jaguar breakers about in UK.Give Black Country Jaguar a call,(i have no interest in them or associated with them).They were able to supply all the parts i needed for my 54 plate S type at a fraction of the cost of main dealer prices.It may well be that you will have to paint the bumper to put it all back to how it should be.I totally agree with you that a bodge is out of the question,these cars deserve better than that and like me i don't doubt you want it back to how it looked before the mishap.Lets hope your body guy can at least put it back on the road in the meantime so at least its mobile.Take heart Michael,it can be done-put back to how it looked before and you CAN do it on a budget.I did and when i compare the before and after results i feel quite pleased with the outcome.

Regards

Tim

Yes my bodyguy has put it back on the road for by glueing bolts on the bumper and pulling it all back together trouble is he has done such a good job that you can't really see the damage except for the crack that's on the bottom skirt and the wheel arch liner won't go in properly will keep you're advice in mind my mate was iching to take all the bumper off and get stuck in but I will have to wait for every little doesn't help to get in touch

Thanks for all the replies my wife keeps telling me it's just a car and that it's no excuse to turn to drink!!! Personally like the excuse but not the cause.

Good news that you are back on the road.At least it will give you breathing space to look round for the parts you need.I suppose i am fortunate in as much as my wife understands how i feel about my jag.I waited all my working life for one and when i could afford one i went for it !! They are more than just a car in my opinion,only wish i had bought one earlier.Please keep us posted on the outcome with the every little helps lot.

Regards

Tim