My 3.0 X-Type Sport Premium

DAN_V6_SE

That is pretty cool mate! Though, it does look like it could launch something into space it comes up quick! Wouldnt want to get in the way of it! lol.

Had the car serviced and M.O.T at Jag Leicester today, all good flew through M.O.T. Only advisories were -

Corrosion to brake discs (Difficulty I have is it does not get driven allweek so they do get surface rust)

Oil weep from sump gasket area (Quoted me £890 if I want this fixed??? This a ball ache job or something??)

Slight coolant leak from thermostat housing to block (Quoted me £290 to fix this? Reasonable?)

Transfer box duct missing (Not sure on this?)

Other stuff noted was the gearknob worn as I asked for a replacement but they are out of stock, slight kerbing to wheels, and apparently rear heated screen causes poor radio reception when on which would explain why the later models have the shark fin aerial I guess.

Courtesy car was a 2014 2.2l Diesel XF, which was `ok`, I would not have one it felt a little underpowered I do not know what a petrol version would be like, fun for a while using the flappy paddles but I was happy to be back in the X Type by the end of the day, autos are not for me!

Had the car serviced and M.O.T at Jag Leicester today, all good flew through M.O.T. Only advisories were -

Corrosion to brake discs (Difficulty I have is it does not get driven all week so they do get surface rust) 

Rather smacks of we need to find something to comment on for the DOT inspectors

Oil weep from sump gasket area (Quoted me £890 if I want this fixed??? This a ball ache job or something??)

Absolute pig of a job for sure and nearly all of that is labour for dropping sub-frames etc in fact almost taking the engine out to replace a £20 gasket. Conclusion is the clue is in the word 'weep'- you are very slowly using a miniscule amount of Oil, as long as it remains that way and you keep your eye on your Oil levels weekly your engine will be no worse for this. My last X type 3.0 sport was exactly the same and the engine with 124k on it  is still going strong having been transferred to another vehicle. When transferred the gasket was done as a matter of course and off the car it's an easy job.

Slight coolant leak from thermostat housing to block (Quoted me £290 to fix this? Reasonable?)

Not reasonable, even if you replace the stat, housing and gasket it should come to nothing near that. If you are having the job done then find a good Jag indy, should be at least half that. It might be a sealant additive should be tried first though, cost £10-£12 and see if that works.

Transfer box duct missing (Not sure on this?)

I'm not too sure on that one either but seem to recall it's no big deal to do.

Other stuff noted was the gearknob worn

Get yourself on eBay, I recently got a used one for £10 which when fitted looked new after some leather conditioner. It literally unscrews and the new one screws on!

slight kerbing to wheels

Budget £40 to £50 per corner but make sure for that money that it's a full powder coat job not just a quick repaint, touch up.

apparently rear heated screen causes poor radio reception when on which would explain why the later models have the shark fin aerial I guess.

Common problem that and I can't remember the exact fix but a better way to spend some money is to get a Pure DAB fitted and then you'll never use FM again!

But other than that 'happy days' 12 month MOT passed, better than getting your 'O' level results!!  :D 

Dan,

I was very wary about paddle shift and vowed I'd never use it . The firsdt time I had to go to a job in Minehead via up and down Porlock Hill, I was bricking it to say the least .

But it all worked out fine .

I have now had six cars since, all with paddle shift . I have got used to it and it would seem strange to use any other system now, I use it al the time in m manual mode, and it seems like second nature .

Not a fan of diesels myself , but the courtesy car I was lent was a XF Portfolio 3.0 litre which went fine, it was that which made me decide my next car was a Jag (had an Aston DB9 at the time)

ATB,

Trevor

Good to see you got your car sorted though, that is the main thing

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I`ve just ordered a gear knob from eBay, I`ll take mine off and have it re-leathered and use the worn eBay one until mine comes back.

Annoyingly, the new nav disc that seemed fine for the first couple of days is now playing up, so I have had to put the old 2002 disc back in. I will send it back and request another copy.

Bought a new spring loaded bonnet leaper too as I missed the look from the old one I fitted on my previous X Type.

Yes I know what you are saying with the paddle shift Trevor, you do get used to it, after driving it all day I was happy to use it, but little things like quickly whacking the car into reverse to pull back in the drive were a bit slower to do turning the dial back to R in the auto and I just enjoy driving manual cars more for sure. As a motorway cruiser the auto box and paddles were fine for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Right. How is everybody elses gear knob on the X Type? Mine has worn terribly. It was the same on my previous SE 2.1litre, worn and tired looking.

I have bought THREE aftermarket replacements brand new each claiming to be X Type specific and they arent! Either RUBBISH quality and ill fitting or completely unsuitable for lift reverse! Absolutely pants! So I rang Jag and tried to order a replacement.. Out of stock and unknown if they will ever be available again!

So, bought another worn Jaguar X Type gearknob from eBay, worse than mine, and I have just sent it off for a retrim. It will not have the number section on the top for gear selection, it will be completely good quality black leather all over so I should not get the problem coming back for a few years! I will update on this and post a picture once it arrives back and I fit it. If it is good and reasonable on price I can forward the details of the lady who does them to anyone who wants theres doing, and I will have a spare gear knob if anyone wants it.