Next modification

David1965

My next small job is to mod the front end now having done the colour coded boot lock trim.

I have just bought a mesh grill off eBay for £35 delivered and seems very good quality. 

20160112_165418.thumb.jpg.8420e5005f4ff8

I have also bought a colour coded  grill surround off eBay also  £35 delivered.

I have read that epoxy is used to join the mesh to the surround, I haven't got any in my garage but i do have a hot glue  gun. Would this be good enough?

Screenshot_2016-01-12-16-56-27.thumb.png

The epoxy is a putty (it should come with the mesh grill if you got it from the same guy as me) 3 pellets of it. Anyway this is used to put into where the clips that you have to cut on the back of the grill to connect the surround to the grill (sandwiching the mesh between them) if that makes sense... I'm a little dusty today

Hi david, did you cut the clips off the back which hold the colour coded bit to the grey bit? if you did (i think you have to do so) the epoxy putty goes into those holes) i have a pic somewhere hang on

so the first one is how it looks from the back before i have added the epoxy, i have used a number of cable ties as clamps

the in pic 2 you can see i have picked the putty and stuffed it into the wholes where i cut the clips, leaving it to dry for a couple of hours to make sure it sets

hope this helps :)

p.s use gloves

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

oh nice, the instructions i followed told me to cut all but 2 of the clips then put the putty into them when the grill is in, you don't need to put it on the mesh (as the mesh is stainless i doubt it would work anyway.

I would suggest putting the putty in the 2 you broke just for added security, you don't want 2 of them opening and the grill sliding out

:thumbup:

oh and don't forget to colour in the bits you cut off (the white bits you get when you cut the cascading grill) a sharpie will do the job or some black paint, otherwise you will see the white bits overtime you looks at it haha

Its put back together this morning and the joints reinforced with epoxy  resin.

I'll leave it until tomorrow to give the epoxy time to set solid.

Just gave the bolts and screws a squirt of wd40 on the original grill so hopefully will come off easily tomorrow.

20160121_134105.jpg

Thanks, but not finished yet. The 2 top bolts came out easily enough but the lower torx bolts aren't  budging, i'll keep aplying wd40 over the next few days to see what happens otherwise they will be drilled out.