Radio/CD player. Screen is dimly lit.

Mine is exactly like that. Bought it like it so I assumed it was either a fault, which I wasn't fussed about that much, or that is how they are.

When I adjust the brightness with the knob on the headlight switch panel, there are sections of the 'turn' where the displays flicker, so I just assumed it to be a fault.

If they should be the same, then I'll do some digging in the dashboard!

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Mick but we still seem to be no more the wiser with this one, It's a bit of a pain. If it is a fault it will probably be quite expensive to get repaired so I will just have to live with it. It looks like it will be cheaper to buy another radio/CD from a breakers yard.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to your query...although it does seem that many owners have this issue.

If the display is so dim that it makes it difficult to read I would probably opt for an aftermarket radio as they are much more capable of playing media such as iPods, USB memory stick, etc and probably a much better option all round.

• Like 1

PROBLEM SOLVED!

When I fitted my bluetooth audio receiver, I removed my displays and scratched the heater panel. 

I bought a 2nd hand one from eBay for £25 to restore it to former glory and fitted it today.

The two screens are now exactly the same brightness, so it looks like it is a fault. My original heater screen was brighter than the radio one, but now it is dimmer and the two are matched perfectly and stay matched when I change the brightness level on the headlight switch.

The part I bought has a different part number to my original one and was manufactured 2 years earlier but so long as the front panel is the same, the rest matches up fine despite the part numbers.

Hope this helps you out.

• Like 2

I think it has to be a fault as since replacing my climate panel, both my screens are the same brightness. The panels are really easy to disassemble so it wouldn't take a lot to strip the brighter panel and put something over the led/bulb/diffuser to reduce the brightness.

• Like 1

I nearly bought a BRG one. It's a lovely colour. Instead though, I found my Ultra Violet one. Only made in this color for a year or so and quite a rare shade of blue. Several blue ones around but not many in ultra violet. I love the x-type. Will keep this one until I can stretch to the XF

• Like 1