Handbrake.

Old Peter

This morning I was just about ready to set off with wife, our daughter and her fella to visit our son a his family in Leeds when I found the message "Handbrake fault".  It was stuck in the engaged position.  Not anting to mess around too much I called Britannia Rescue and within an hour they ca,e out with a tow truck. The mechanic told me he knew little about the modern cars but was expert on classic cars.  This did not help a lot!

I told him that I had heard that certain electronic problems could be cured by disconnecting the battery, whereupon he opened the bonnet. I opened the boot.  The battery was duly disconnected, left for 10 minutes, and then reconnected.  The Handbrake then was able to be disengaged again.

I spent 10 minutes resetting the various things like radio etc and then went off to Leeds.

Moral of the story.  Do mechanics know more than drivers about the vagaries of their  car?

Why not change your breakdown service ? no disrespect, but I've never heard of Britannia Rescue .

I use Jaguar assistance, and at least they know about Jags , I presume this is available to vehicles after the warranty has run out but I'm not sure.

ATB and Happy New Year,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Britannia Rescue was started years ago by the Civil Service Motoring Organisation and it used to very good and economical.  I was entitled to join the CSMA  as well as my day job I had an appointment as what is known as Judicial Support in respect of Employment Tribunals.  BR was taken over by LV-Frizzell 2 or 3 years ago.  It was very good also in covering family members and also caravan cover, in the days when we towed a caravan.

I had decided yesterday, actually, to give up on them and look elsewhere.  I will check out Jaguar assistance --  as you say, they know about Jaguars.

Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

Peter. 

• Like 1

I am with green flag, but having only just got the Jag I don't know what they are like with them. I think Peter is right that drivers do probably know more than your average mechanic because we take time to get to know our cars, and these Club sites are a godsend.

It is only the last few years that any car of mine has seen the inside of a garage except for MOTs.

Happy New Year to you and all Members.

Quite right, Stan.  The mechanic I use reads up on the cars he is servicing and repairing.

When I pay for roadside assistance I want to see a guy who knows something about the car when he gets there.  I had 30 years of company cars and we had a comprehensive policy with the AA.  I have found that they are no more expensive than  Britannia Rescue.

Hi Trevor,

For some reason I cannot download photographs on to the site.  I fed the 5000 yesterday in Leeds.

I will work on iPhoto to see what I can do. Nice looking  car  --- good colour for Jaguars.

Regards,

Peter.

Dear Peter,

Just join photobucket   http://s209.photobucket.com/ upload a photo , click on the photo, and on the right hand side there will be a choice of options , click on where it says "direct " it will then say "copied"  then on this site click on the "image" option and another box will pop up , then press CTRL and V . and then ok, and your image will appear on the page, as my old M3 did

m3_zpsccc61240.jpg

ATB,

Trevor

Yes, Trevor.  After two disastrous and expensive experiences with Windows, I got a secondhand Apple Desktop and had it without any trouble at all for 6 years. Last April I bought a Apple laptop which I use now.

Being of advanced age I am not too au fait with the mise en scene in respect of computers.

But I will try it tomorrow when our visitors have gone back to London.

I have only just mastered emailing photos!

My best wishes,

Peter.

• Like 1

Dear Peter,

As you're into Apple products, should you not be driving a Morris Minor , or maybe Jaguars' 2014 model ?

bike_zps4bcb1a21.jpg

I queried about Jaguar Assistance after the warranty runs out and got this reply from the  (fairly ) local stealership  " You can still
get the Jaguar Assistance, but you will need to renew the warranty. You can do this for 12 months at a time, at a cost of £1,200.00 (you could also buy the warranty without Jaguar assist at £1,100.00).  "

So as you can imagine, it will be the RAC, AA, or Green Flag when the warranty runs out then .

ATB

Trevor

This morning I was just about ready to set off with wife, our daughter and her fella to visit our son a his family in Leeds when I found the message "Handbrake fault".  It was stuck in the engaged position.  Not anting to mess around too much I called Britannia Rescue and within an hour they ca,e out with a tow truck. The mechanic told me he knew little about the modern cars but was expert on classic cars.  This did not help a lot!

I told him that I had heard that certain electronic problems could be cured by disconnecting the battery, whereupon he opened the bonnet. I opened the boot.  The battery was duly disconnected, left for 10 minutes, and then reconnected.  The Handbrake then was able to be disengaged again.

I spent 10 minutes resetting the various things like radio etc and then went off to Leeds.

Moral of the story.  Do mechanics know more than drivers about the vagaries of their  car?

Hi Pete,

I think it's all down to experience. Therefor you as the car owner in fact does know more than a recovery man who has to deal with a multitude of different cars! Through reading on this forum of course! I have read some where that the handbrake can be re-calibrated by depressing the footpedal so many times in sequence, but cant offer any more advice than that as I am a newcomer to the S Type. :D

John.

• 7 months later...

Hi peter I had the same problem but was told it was caused by a faulty actuator. The mechanic who looked into this for me told me to contact Jaguar as a recall notice was put out for this problem.He thinks this was a while ago but said they should still honour the repair