Replacing mirror unit.

Morse Dreaming

Having to replace passenger side mirror unit. Clipped another mirror which caused mine to smash. The offending mirror didn't have a Mark on it so no cost from them incurred. Cost of replacing mine is an arm and a leg. In £300s main dealer. Anybody with discounts or reasonable prices.

Hi Margaret,

I have just had a look on eBay and you can get one for between about £25 tp £45.  And I am quite sure you would be able to fit it yourself.

Other than that, Euro Parts, David Manners group, or Rimmer Bros.

Regards,

Peter.

Margaret,

Avoid main dealers like the plague, their prices are criminal.

As Peter said, you should be able to pick one up on eBay, or even somewhere like David Manners.

It is a very simple job to fit, if you can't do it yourself, any local mechanic should be able to.

ATB,

Trevor

P.S. Just a thought, as you and Peter are both West Midlands (north) , he has a very good mobile mechanic he uses. It might be near you

Not on a Jaguar but had a very similar problem on a Mercedes that had an all singing dancing electric mirror attached which another careless idiot destroyed.  am not one for taking to a garage if I believe the job is within my capabilities and I found replacing the unit straight forward.

Purchase of mirror luckily colour coded to that of mine, remove door panel, unplug electrical connector, undo three torque screw bolts followed by reverse procedure. It was as simple as that and took me about 60 - 90 minutes

Cannot see why the Jaguar would be any different

Kenny,

Sounds like it's just the glass, which presses in

Had a similar thing to you on the XJ Supersport, the dog's b******s mirror, blind spot, heated, moved in all direction, inidactors,the whole works .

Stealership wanted £800 for the mirror unit and £175 an hour labour charges to fit it.

Got one from David Manners in the end £410 for the whole lot, and fitted it similar to what you said .

ATB,

Trevor

In that case then its a simple matter of visiting Halfrauds, eBay or the like and obtaining a new mirror which would normally come with an adhesive backing which in some cases sticks directly over the existing if not then, remove all broken glass and press firmly to the backplate which holds it.

Halfrauds would normally offer a service in fitting it for you for a small fee in the same way the will fit a headlamp lamp etc.

Actually, I used them on an headlamp and they were excellent in that in was on a C Class Merc and you had to take the grill out to get at the lamp. They done it in about 40mins whilst I was shopping elsewhere and only charged about £3 for the service

Kenny,

Getting the car serviced (second service) by an independent garage on Tuesday, will give you a run down of the costs.

ATB,

Trevor

Nice one Trevor, would be good to know. I haven't found an independent Jaguar garage yet in South Wales. Last year I was working in Devon and found a fantastic Mercedes Indy that helped me out quite a bit even lending me a courtesy car whilst they attempted to resolve a problem that I had with the CLK. They were based in Tiverton and were all Mercedes trained technicians. I couldn't praise them enough and if I were in that neck of the woods I would have no hesitation in calling them to see if they would do a service on the XKR

Nice one Trevor, would be good to know. I haven't found an independent Jaguar garage yet in South Wales. Last year I was working in Devon and found a fantastic Mercedes Indy that helped me out quite a bit even lending me a courtesy car whilst they attempted to resolve a problem that I had with the CLK. They were based in Tiverton and were all Mercedes trained technicians. I couldn't praise them enough and if I were in that neck of the woods I would have no hesitation in calling them to see if they would do a service on the XKR

Hi Kenny

have just been having a google around and come across a garage in Nantgarw, as well as a couple of others.  They might be worth looking into.

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Kenny

have just been having a google around and come across a garage in Nantgarw, as well as a couple of others.  They might be worth looking into.

Peter.

Got any more specifics names etc Peter?

I know Nantgarw quite well but cannot think of any garages other than the likes of Evans Halshaw.

Swansea, Neath or surrounding areas would be better for me

Hi Kenny

Peter.

Hi Kenny,

I didn't find anything that looked that suitable around Swansea/Neath.

You are quite right about the small number of indies in South Wales.

I was drawn to the Garage in Nantgarw by a mention of them on another  Forum, by someone who said that they sent their Jaguars there for serviciing etc.

The address is Cardiff Rd, Nantgarw, CF15  7SR.

There is also another one that looks OK:  Sterling Jaguars,Swffyd Rd, Crumlin. NP11 5DW.

Regards,

Peter.