Reduced performance

Darran1970

Hi everyone 

On my way to work on Friday I received the reduced performance with amber and red lights. I called the RAC they ran a diagnostic and gave me 2 codes I have attached the RAC email. I really hope someone can help.

Thanks

5992236-20180714-12-33-24.pdf

Hi Darran and Welcome to the Club,

Your S Type is a diesel obviously and I'm assuming the two codes you're concerned about are these from the report?

one relating to egr sensor circuit - intermittent
one relating to dpf pressure high - permanent

EGR and DPF problems are fairly common and you will find many discussions in this and other forums about these. They are both associated with the management of exhaust gases within the engine and ultimately the emissions into atmosphere. The DPF problem could perhaps be causing the EGR sensor problem but equally, intermittent signals on the EGR circuit could indicate a dying sensor or even a simple wiring/connections issue.

As far as the DPF high pressure report is concerned; over time the DPF can become clogged with sooty deposits if the car only does short journeys and/or if inferior quality fuels are used. The Engine Management System will try to overcome this problem by increasing the internal temperature of the DPF to a level where the sooty deposits are thoroughly burned off - but, this cycle only works effectively if the car is taken for a long drive.

Hopefully the above will be helpful but the first step will be to get a good mechanic, with a Jag specific OBD2 Code Scanner, to take a a look if you're not comfortable dealing with the oily bits yourself. There are a number of members in the West Mids area who can advise you of Jag independents mechanics close to you.

Keep us posted on progress and good luck.

Steve

Hi cubist 

Thanks for your in-depth reply I have been on to a garage today to have a full dpf clean at a price of £250 plus vat. 

I don't mind getting my hand dirty at all just need guidance. Hopefully the dpf clean will sort it out.

I was hoping Old Pete could point me in the right direction for keeping her clean. 

Thanks again for your knowledge.

Hi Darren

1 hour ago, Darran1970 said:

Hopefully the dpf clean will sort it out.

MOH and I had similar issue with our '07 S-type 2.7 twin turbo just a couple of months after we bought it in 2016.  It had, by then, covered just 53K miles, mostly short/shortish runs in the conurbation.

One EGR valve was found to be gummed up, and so was replaced.

What is significant is that, after one more instance of the amber "DPF full" warning, we regenerated/cleaned by running at around 3000 rpm or so in lower gears, using the J-shift, for about 20 minutes or so.  Easier than going off down the motorway, where even at 70 mph, the engine is running at quite low revs.   We then switched to premium fuel (Shell V-power or BP Ultimate) which, although more expensive, has had the result of ....no more DPF warnings.     Some may advise additives, but there are probably an equal number (like us and R2E) who dismiss them as "snake oil".   We have never used an additive, and do not experience any DPF warnings now.  In fact, none in 2 years and 24K miles.

A one-time colleague who now works for HM C&E says that the supermarket fuels are very definitely inferior.....you get what you pay for.

Hope this works out without the expense of the questionable expense of a DPF "clean".    

Good luck and happy growling

Hi Darran,

I have only just seen this post.  Carole has already said some of the things I would have said.

Our cars are similar.  I have had my  s type for over 5 years now and I have never had a problem with the DPF.  I only o about 5,000 miles a years with mostly shorter trips, but I do make sure I get a long run once a month so.

I use Shell V Power as there is a Shell Garage about 500 yards away, and I also use Millers Eco Plus for diesels with a shot with every full tank or so. It also cleans the EGR valves,

There is an Event on Sunday 22nd July for JOC members at Lancaster Jaguar, Tamworth which you would find interesting especially as there are a few members with S Types there.

Lancaster Jaguar are in Ventura Park, Tamworth, very close to the A5.  I live in Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield so it sonly 8 miles away.

Regards,

Peter.

I would like to thank Carole and Peter both for there comments they have saved me £1000. I was told I needed 2 new egr valves and a dpf clean which I could not afford at this moment so I picked my car up put it in sports mode and raced it for a good few miles to Halfords to get some Wynns Egr Valve cleaner.

Once I returned home I opened the air box and emptied the can in short bursts then took it for another run and what a difference it made. Yesterday I filled up with V Power diesel and took her for a 20 mile drive to Telford and back never missed a beat and no restricted performance. Thank you both so much.

Hi Darran,

Glad it is solved.

I am from Lancashire originally and in the words of the poet  -"In the spirit that's made Lancashire what she is, we'd rather be drownded than done".

Regards,

Peter.

"Right on " as we are sure they say somewhere!

Great result..............if the amber "DPF FULL" should come on at any future time, repeat the J-gate manual selection and sport mode.  Remember that the warning only resets after switching off and later restarting.

Enjoy the S-type, and as always, happy growling