NEW DISCS and PADS (Front and Rear)

Wrinkly

Would be very interested on views of what you consider the best manufacturer of replacement discs and pads (Front and Rear) for my S Type. Also if anyone has views for or against drilled discs, besides the OE fitment being vented.

Many thanks and Regards, John

hi

if its for general driving, most of the discs and pads available from euro car parts are quite good, have used euro car parts many times and never had any issue, plus you get a choice of brands and get 40% off most weekends

if you like putting you foot down, I'd stick with standard discs and get some better pads, I use ebc redstuff in my S-type R, better stopping and next to no dust

drilled and grooved discs are ok, but, I've had them before and there quite noisy, first thing in the morning if the have been wet, due to light surface rust and a lot noisier under heavy braking, drilled ones are quieter. for next to no diffence in stopping power, just faster pad wear, so because of the noise I would never fit them again.

just make sure what ever you get, just measure you discs first to makes sure you getting the right ones, as theres quite a few different sizes.

also if you have a electronic parking brake, there a precedure to release the brakes, you also need a piston wind back tool for the rear, fronts are straight forward.

if you want read the workshop manuals there all here free http://www.jagrepair.com/

cheers

Joe

3 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

if its for general driving, most of the discs and pads available from euro car parts are quite good, have used euro car parts many times and never had any issue, plus you get a choice of brands and get 40% off most weekends

if you like putting you foot down, I'd stick with standard discs and get some better pads, I use ebc redstuff in my S-type R, better stopping and next to no dust

drilled and grooved discs are ok, but, I've had them before and there quite noisy, first thing in the morning if the have been wet, due to light surface rust and a lot noisier under heavy braking, drilled ones are quieter. for next to no diffence in stopping power, just faster pad wear, so because of the noise I would never fit them again.

just make sure what ever you get, just measure you discs first to makes sure you getting the right ones, as theres quite a few different sizes.

also if you have a electronic parking brake, there a precedure to release the brakes, you also need a piston wind back tool for the rear, fronts are straight forward.

if you want read the workshop manuals there all here free http://www.jagrepair.com/

cheers

Joe

Joe, Many thanks once again. Is the piston wind back tool for the rears of any specific nature for the  S Type. Perhaps a photo of yours would show what is necessary. The point about Red Stuff pads is well worth knowing as I do notice a fair bit of dust on the alloys.

Many Thanks and Regards, John

hi

the kit I have is a universal one that does all cars

if you look on eBay for universal wind back tool theres quite a few

basically theres two holes in the piston, they have to be rotated and pushed in,once the piston is wound back the new pads will fit, I wind the piston back out till the caliper just slides over the new pads, makes the handbrake adjustment a lot easier

the tool not required depending on what tools you have, if you have some large, bent nose, circlip pliers, they will slot in the holes on the piston and allow you to wind them in

cheers

Joe

Video here off youtube, its a X-type but piston wind back is very similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtL2_uRgXU

mine looks similar to this, which are under £20, but I use it a lot.

3124214.thumb.jpg.10f105487a57d07f966b4d6538e9f095.jpg

12 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

the kit I have is a universal one that does all cars

if you look on ebay for universal wind back tool theres quite a few

basically theres two holes in the piston, they have to be rotated and pushed in,once the piston is wound back the new pads will fit, I wind the piston back out till the caliper just slides over the new pads, makes the handbrake adjustment a lot easier

the tool not required depending on what tools you have, if you have some large, bent nose, circlip pliers, they will slot in the holes on the piston and allow you to wind them in

cheers

Joe

Video here off youtube, its a X-type but piston wind back is very similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtL2_uRgXU

mine looks similar to this, which are under £20, but I use it a lot.

3124214.thumb.jpg.10f105487a57d07f966b4d6538e9f095.jpg

Joe, Many thanks again. I will look on eBay for the universal wind back tool.

Regards, John

I have drilled disks on the front and plain rear, yes the front is nosy. I have Mintex pads and the dust is fairly low. I also removed the front inner dust shields. This is to reduce heat on the front, with the dust shield the front disk can be so hot it fades. They are not mandatory, I have retained then on the rear disc since it is a single piston and doesn't get nearly so hot.

Hi  just had the front done (discs and pads) and at a cost of £200 is not to bad. As if i have any problem i can just take it back. I know you are doing front and back so the cost would be a lot more. The cost is just for information to other members. Good luck with it.

1 hour ago, Mark s-Type said:

Hi  just had the front done (discs and pads) and at a cost of £200 is not to bad. As if i have any problem i can just take it back. I know you are doing front and back so the cost would be a lot more. The cost is just for information to other members. Good luck with it.

Hi

£200 for front discs and pads is quite expensive, bet discs and pads would be less than £100 and £100 for labour for an hours work, don't sound cheap to me.

I've just put discs and pads, front and rears on a peugeot gti, front and rear discs and pads cost £82 from euro cars parts and still took less than an hour to fit.

car parts have never been so cheap for cars

cheers

Joe

12 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

£200 for front discs and pads is quite expensive, bet discs and pads would be less than £100 and £100 for labour for an hours work, don't sound cheap to me.

I've just put discs and pads, front and rears on a peugeot gti, front and rear discs and pads cost £82 from euro cars parts and still took less than an hour to fit.

car parts have never been so cheap for cars

cheers

Joe

Just looked on Euro Parts: "2005 Jaguar S Type 2.5 :

Pair Eicher Premium Discs for Front and Rear £80. Pair  EBC Grooved and Drilled Front and Rear £417.  EBC Red Stuff Pads Front and Rear £133. No Eicher Brake Pads quoted. So cheapest way of doing Front and Rear Disc and Pad change appears to be £213 for parts and Labour depends on who does it of course.

Seems reasonable to me.

Regards, John