InControl Touch (non-pro) frustrations esp map update

sulphxe

A few months ago I picked up a 2018 XE R-Sport which is my first Jaguar, and I'm very much in love with. The only frustration I have with the car is InControl Touch.

I think we all accept that the system is at best mediocre, and in light of the 'infotainment revolution' in the last couple of years with every basic entry-level hatchbacks since 2019/2020 coming with Apple Carplay and a host of other features, InControl is looking exceptionally dated, especially the non-Pro version. Even Jaguar have finally realised this and scrapped it in favour of Pivi Pro.

I'll accept all of that - I didn't buy a Jaguar for an infotainment system, if it wasn't for Jaguar completely abandoning any of us with that system. 2 big issues - the loss of almost all support for the apps, and the nav system.

Recently there appears to be a July 2022 map update for InControl Touch via jaguar.welcome.naviextras.com - 31.4.11782. I, in a complete temporary loss of sanity, paid the £97 but the installer won't let me get passed 26.3.9908, a very outdated version, despite it sitting there in my 'purchased' section. I've contacted my jaguar retailer (as this is the only contact the website gives) who say they can't help, and now I've eventually found an email for naviextras and I'm waiting to hear reply about a refund. There is absolutely no indication that the car is not compatible but I'm now reading that on some forums.

It just seems a bit crazy that you essentially can't use the Nav system in a 4 year old 'luxury saloon' (for fear of ending up in a river) nor a lot of the features that came as new. Obviously Jaguar want to push their latest models but how can you sustain any brand loyalty when you're prepared to leave owners of relatively new-ish cars flapping in the wind. While infotainment systems aren't the end of the world, it's the fact you're paying for a high end car that overlooks it. That's what is frustrating.

Part of this is rant, and there's not much to be done about InControl but mainly - has anyone had any experience with this new map update - success? refund? solutions? Other than the obvious - use your phone/fork out for a new car/hunt down the original owner who put together the build for not getting Pro/just get over it

12 minutes ago, sulphxe said:

A few months ago I picked up a 2018 XE R-Sport which is my first Jaguar, and I'm very much in love with. The only frustration I have with the car is InControl Touch.

I think we all accept that the system is at best mediocre, and in light of the 'infotainment revolution' in the last couple of years with every basic entry-level hatchbacks since 2019/2020 coming with Apple Carplay and a host of other features, InControl is looking exceptionally dated, especially the non-Pro version. Even Jaguar have finally realised this and scrapped it in favour of Pivi Pro.

I'll accept all of that - I didn't buy a Jaguar for an infotainment system, if it wasn't for Jaguar completely abandoning any of us with that system. 2 big issues - the loss of almost all support for the apps, and the nav system.

Recently there appears to be a July 2022 map update for InControl Touch via jaguar.welcome.naviextras.com - 31.4.11782. I, in a complete temporary loss of sanity, paid the £97 but the installer won't let me get passed 26.3.9908, a very outdated version, despite it sitting there in my 'purchased' section. I've contacted my jaguar retailer (as this is the only contact the website gives) who say they can't help, and now I've eventually found an email for naviextras and I'm waiting to hear reply about a refund. There is absolutely no indication that the car is not compatible but I'm now reading that on some forums.

It just seems a bit crazy that you essentially can't use the Nav system in a 4 year old 'luxury saloon' (for fear of ending up in a river) nor a lot of the features that came as new. Obviously Jaguar want to push their latest models but how can you sustain any brand loyalty when you're prepared to leave owners of relatively new-ish cars flapping in the wind. While infotainment systems aren't the end of the world, it's the fact you're paying for a high end car that overlooks it. That's what is frustrating.

Part of this is rant, and there's not much to be done about InControl but mainly - has anyone had any experience with this new map update - success? refund? solutions? Other than the obvious - use your phone/fork out for a new car/hunt down the original owner who put together the build for not getting Pro/just get over it

Stephen

Welcome to the club/forum.

Also welcome to being a Jaguar owner and Jaguar policy.

Best Wishes , John

15 minutes ago, Wrinkly said:

Stephen

Welcome to the club/forum.

Also welcome to being a Jaguar owner and Jaguar policy.

Best Wishes , John

Thanks John, I feel like airing frustrations here is probably as good as it's going to get, but at least others understand!

35 minutes ago, Lancashire lad said:

Hi, if its any consolation I also wasted £97 on the update that doesn't update. Looking at my options I think I'm going to have claim a refund from the company who supply the updates but I'm not hopeful. 

Just a bit of a joke really. I've sent an email to info@naviextras.com, which I found eventually as everywhere on that website they redirect to the Jaguar retailer, who don't want to know. 

No actual reply so far, but I got this automated one:

Please note that you cannot create a new case via email. If you have an Alpine, Pioneer, Subaru Gen2, Xzent or Zenec device, please visit our case form by clicking the link below, then log in, share your issue and our team will get in touch. Available in English and German.

Link: https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/support 

If you have a Becker, Becker Connect or Falk device, please visit the link below and select Customer Care at the bottom of the page to get in touch. Available in English and German.

Link: https://contentmanager.welcome.naviextras.com/  

If you have any other device, please visit the link below to access our knowledge base, where you can find useful articles on troubleshooting common issues. Moreover, you can open a ticket to get help with matters related to purchases or handling of your personal data. Available in English only.

Link: https://nng.force.com/naviextrasknowledgebase/s/

Unfortunately none of those seem to fit this scenario, if you click the last link, there's no mention of Jaguar or any obvious way to 'open a case'. If you try and register an account to open said case, you get as far as choosing your device - 'Jaguar NGI' comes up - then you just get redirected to the original website! Here's open I get an actual reply. According to their policy attached to the invoice, you can claim a refund if your device is incompatible but how to claim that refund is not explained.

11 hours ago, sulphxe said:

Just a bit of a joke really. I've sent an email to info@naviextras.com, which I found eventually as everywhere on that website they redirect to the Jaguar retailer, who don't want to know. 

No actual reply so far, but I got this automated one:

Please note that you cannot create a new case via email. If you have an Alpine, Pioneer, Subaru Gen2, Xzent or Zenec device, please visit our case form by clicking the link below, then log in, share your issue and our team will get in touch. Available in English and German.

Link: https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/support 

If you have a Becker, Becker Connect or Falk device, please visit the link below and select Customer Care at the bottom of the page to get in touch. Available in English and German.

Link: https://contentmanager.welcome.naviextras.com/  

If you have any other device, please visit the link below to access our knowledge base, where you can find useful articles on troubleshooting common issues. Moreover, you can open a ticket to get help with matters related to purchases or handling of your personal data. Available in English only.

Link: https://nng.force.com/naviextrasknowledgebase/s/

Unfortunately none of those seem to fit this scenario, if you click the last link, there's no mention of Jaguar or any obvious way to 'open a case'. If you try and register an account to open said case, you get as far as choosing your device - 'Jaguar NGI' comes up - then you just get redirected to the original website! Here's open I get an actual reply. According to their policy attached to the invoice, you can claim a refund if your device is incompatible but how to claim that refund is not explained.

At my age (72) I have always been used to being able to speak to a customer service department if I had problems with a product. However I have come to realise that no manufacturer or retailer actually wants to help a consumer/customer  these days. They do everything they can to re-direct you around the internet (its called "progress" so I am told ????????????) in the hope that they can frustrate you enough to the point that you give up. I have also tried to find addresses so as to be able to write, (a dying form of communication) to ask questions or even complain. That is very often a futile exercise as well.

I did some while back have major problems with one of the biggest household banking names over them insisting that "Debit Cards" could only be used if you were a Smartphone user. You had apparently to receive an authorisation number via a Smartphone, as there was no other method of technology working in this case. Not being acceptable to me I decided to take the bank on over the matter. Many many phone calls and periods of waiting in phone queues, writing letters etc I ended up in touch with the financial ombudsman department. Surprise, surprise, they eventually decided that the technology attitude of the bank in question (and other banks) was not acceptable in the case of customers who did not have and did not want to use Smartphones. They instructed the bank in question that they must resolve the situation in my and other customers favour. The banks answer to the situation was to offer to pay for a Smartphone for me. I did not accept this approach and it went back to Financial Ombudsman.

In an attempt to shorten this story.

After many months of complaining once per week by letter. SURPRISE ..... the bank found an alternative method of issuing "Authority Numbers". They issued a form of technology that they had used for years to gain access to their (my) Current Accounts On Line. The old fashioned New Technology of "key Cards" that they had been using for Current Accounts On Line, but a slightly larger and thicker version of it.

It works well and by the way the bank in question compensated me for my problem and time in complaining. They paid into my current account a (no fault admitted)   gift to the sum of £80. 

I consider that a success for the non technologically educated oldie that I am.

Thanks for reading and my "Rant" is now finished.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

On 7/19/2022 at 2:02 PM, sulphxe said:

Have a look here Stephen, it might give you a few things to try!

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/threads/a-new-update-for-the-older-sd-card-nav-system.11324/#post-125911

In response to Wrinkly’s comment about customer service and being given the run around through the internet… fight fire with fire and use the internet against them!!  There are many “review” sites out there (e.g. Trust Pilot) in which you can describe how well or how badly you have been treated, what companies have done to make you happy or angry etc.  Find as many of these sites as you can and submit bad reviews as often as possible.  Most companies now (especially ‘tec’ firms) monitor their reviews with eagle eyes and they hate getting bad reviews.  You might find that they suddenly come rushing to you to try and put things right (so you will change your review).

Good luck 😃

Psy

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, Wrinkly said:

At my age (72) I have always been used to being able to speak to a customer service department if I had problems with a product. However I have come to realise that no manufacturer or retailer actually wants to help a consumer/customer  these days. They do everything they can to re-direct you around the internet (its called "progress" so I am told ????????????) in the hope that they can frustrate you enough to the point that you give up. I have also tried to find addresses so as to be able to write, (a dying form of communication) to ask questions or even complain. That is very often a futile exercise as well.

I did some while back have major problems with one of the biggest household banking names over them insisting that "Debit Cards" could only be used if you were a Smartphone user. You had apparently to receive an authorisation number via a Smartphone, as there was no other method of technology working in this case. Not being acceptable to me I decided to take the bank on over the matter. Many many phone calls and periods of waiting in phone queues, writing letters etc I ended up in touch with the financial ombudsman department. Surprise, surprise, they eventually decided that the technology attitude of the bank in question (and other banks) was not acceptable in the case of customers who did not have and did not want to use Smartphones. They instructed the bank in question that they must resolve the situation in my and other customers favour. The banks answer to the situation was to offer to pay for a Smartphone for me. I did not accept this approach and it went back to Financial Ombudsman.

In an attempt to shorten this story.

After many months of complaining once per week by letter. SURPRISE ..... the bank found an alternative method of issuing "Authority Numbers". They issued a form of technology that they had used for years to gain access to their (my) Current Accounts On Line. The old fashioned New Technology of "Key Cards" that they had been using for Current Accounts On Line, but a slightly larger and thicker version of it.

It works well and by the way the bank in question compensated me for my problem and time in complaining. They paid into my current account a (no fault admitted)   gift to the sum of £80. 

I consider that a success for the non technologically educated oldie that I am.

Thanks for reading and my "Rant" is now finished.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

I'm impressed at your resolve John, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to go that far! It never ceases to amaze the lengths companies will go to to restrict access or make reasonable adjustments, but congratulations on your win! Will need some of that if I'm ever to see this £97 again...

To reply to SulpheXE's original post, I have the same issue.

I also have a MY18 R-Sport (a 250PS model with a tuning box) and it's a lovely thing. My fourth Jag and by far my best. The combination of power and handling, whether pressing ahead on country roads or cruising, is simply amazing. It always bring a smile.

The infotainment system is hopeless, however. JLR cannot compete in this market and have pretty much given up. By enabling Apple and Android map integration (along with everyone except Tesla) the car manufacturers are accepting that software is a market they cannot compete in. 

I cancelled my InControl subscription because the car would regularly not communicate with JLR to update. It has been suggested that this is because a decent connection is needed to upload trip data but this is guff. I have worked in IT for 20+ years and cloud applications is my thing. It's simply that the JLR software is hopeless. They kind of know it.

None of this helps my car as it has just come up with a "Cannot detect SD card" error after the hot spell. That it even HAS an SD Card is pretty amazing. I have given up on my car's map capabilities now and with a non-functioning SD Card I lose voice dialling, but that's about it. (I also tried to update maps with no success.)

A rant to respond to the original rant, but sometimes these things are cathartic. 🙂

I love the way my XE looks and drives and wouldn't change anything about it.

Later fully digital car dashboards and information systems leave me completely cold. I really really do not want to control my car through an iPad. It adds NOTHING to the driving experience. At least for me.

JLR were very gracious about refunding my inControl subscription when it stopped working reliably and even gave me £60 to compensate me, which was a nice gesture. But their software is terrible. 

I CAN very much appreciate what Jaguar did with the petrol XE R-Sports, though. They are amazing cars to drive, with no distractions.

22 hours ago, barryhi said:

I updated my 2015 car and all went well, no issues. No idea whats different that stops some completing the update

Hi,

Could you let me know what version your car screen shows when you go into the satnav settings, and would be helpful if you could let me know what files got copied onto the SD card as I'm thinking mine may have a not copied the correct ones over as the download was quite quick but it will not let me download the maps I paid for again.

Cheers

All,

Got a reply from Naviextras who took my £97 but now say my device is not directly supported even though I have an email saying new maps available for my device.

thank you for your email. Your device is not directly supported by us. Please therefore approach the following link for further assistance. 

Jaguar contact

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. 

Best regards,

Thomas

NNG - Naviextras Support

All,

No not got money back but got another reply.

Dear Darren,

We provide the navigation platform but contractually Jaguar provides all customer care for their navigation models.
We just checked the link provided and you're right, unfortunately there is no option to contact the dedicated support team.
Alternatively please contact your local Jaguar Retailer for further assistance or visit your local Jaguar website to find contact details to your local Customer Service Centre.

Best regards,

Thorsten
NNG - Naviextras Support

Looks like I will now have to Phone Jaguar customer care as they don't provide an email address.

Update,

Thought I try and update the SD card again before I phoned Jaguar.

Loaded the Jaguar installer software (without logging in) and the update Icon was showing I could click on it so I did.

Updates available was showing the 31.4.11782 so I clicked on it and it asked me what countries I would like to update (I just chose UK,Italy,Spain and Monaco and clicked to download. Only took a few mins then said all ok and can remove card. Thought I would try and log in and see if still available and it was and I could download again choosing other countries if I wanted. Going to test it now over a few days but hopefully I will not be driving into a river. 🙂

Hi Darren

That’s brilliant news, you must be so chuffed (and relieved!!) that you finally got it to work properly.  Your determination paid off!!

I’m glad you’ve got it sorted, coz that gives hope to the rest of us!

I bought a 2011 XJ the other week and since then I’ve noticed my nav’s maps are a bit outdated.  I was wondering how I could get the latest version into it and you seem to have cracked it.  Nicely done fella!

Have a great weekend 😁

Si

23 hours ago, Psy Power said:

Hi Darren

That’s brilliant news, you must be so chuffed (and relieved!!) that you finally got it to work properly.  Your determination paid off!!

I’m glad you’ve got it sorted, coz that gives hope to the rest of us!

I bought a 2011 XJ the other week and since then I’ve noticed my nav’s maps are a bit outdated.  I was wondering how I could get the latest version into it and you seem to have cracked it.  Nicely done fella!

Have a great weekend 😁

Si

Thanks,

Version on car screen does now say 31.4.11782

I know it's not the best car satnav but at least I have updated maps now,

Have a good weekend

Darren