New to Jaguar...

FarmerFox

Hi Josh  ----  Welcome.

I spent a long time researching and then looking for an S Type.  The last models manufactured were the 2007/8 models and there are some about with relatively low mileages.  For a car of that age with about 50k to 60k on the clock you can expect to pay about £8,500 for a 2.7 diesel SE from a main dealer  --  probably with a warranty.

If you are looking for a car somewhat older with a petrol engine there are some quite inexpensive 3.0 litre petrol versions around and still around too are some of the 2.5 litre cars, which were discontinued when the diesel was introduced.  The price varies dependent on how clean the car is.

The belts on the diesel need changing at 105,000 miles, so if you are looking for a diesel think about that.

I have been very happy with my 2.7 D SE.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Josh,

Reports indicate that the 3 Litre engine is a good power plant, but I have heard that the R version -- the high performance car is expensive to run  ---  I don't know why.

Models 2004 and over are the face lifted  ones with some higher spec options such as the touch screen/satnav.

Look out for one with a good service record.

A general issue with the s type is that water ingress into the boot should be checked.  I had a little but a good examination of the seals found the fault, a twisted rubber, that was easily repaired.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

I have heard that the R version -- the high performance car is expensive to run  ---  I don't know why.

Probably because it's a 4.2 litre supercharged V8 that produces 400BHP  :) you have to burn a few hydrocarbons to get that kind of performance!

Many thanks again for the advise. I have looked at an 02 plate 3.0l, but only briefly. I could not find any signs of water ingress in the boot compartment. There were a few marks on the interior but that's to be expected on any vehicle of this age. The motor seemed to be running smooth, however I did not test drive it to see what the transmission was like (is there anything to look out for?). With 112000 miles on the clock it was priced at just shy of £2000. Does this sound a fair price?

There are loads of S types of that age cheaper than £2000 Josh.

Watch the auto box carefully! Watch for clunks when selecting drive or reverse or just slipping in general. Look at all the spares or repairs early S types available on eBay. Its nearly always the gearbox!

• Like 1

Hi Josh,

I have had a look around on sites such as Auto Trader and Piston Heads.  Prices for  02 plates seems to vary between £1250 and £2200, and a lot will depend of mileage, service history, and condition.

It is usually better to buy from a reputable dealer rather eBay,  as sometimes a dealer will give you a warranty, although probably  a short one.

The price does not seem to be out of line, but remember that tyres can cost over £200 each, so I would check them. A tyre tread gauge does not cost very much and always worth having in the pocket when looking at used cars.

I would also suggest that you give it a good test drive to make sure that it handles OK and that all the electric bits work.

I would also check that it has had any recommended service replacements done at the correct mileages.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but I got a Warrantywise 6 month cover with my 2001 S type sport. A coil pack failed and they were only willing to pay £40 for the repair including the part itself. It was number one cylinder as well!

If I buy from a dealer again I will ask them to remove the price of the warranty because its usually worthless.

Hi Paul,

It is not really off topic, as Warranties are important.

When I bought my Jaguar I did ask about exactly what the warranty covered, and they said full Jaguar warranty for three months. They even spelt out that is was parts and labour also.

Regards,

Peter.

I am only looking to buy from dealer I do not like buying privately, mainly because a dealer would give some sort of back-up. (I am the sort of person who gets back-up out of nearly any dealer!!)

The stealership wanted £1200 to extend my warranty (from next Feb) so it will be PAYG.

What sort of warranty was offered at £1200?!

Josh.

I find dealerships well overpriced . Luckily I have a friend who owns a garage locally who will  maintain my Jag far cheaper than any dealership will, he can supply the parts cheaper and the labour costs are far less .

I didn't even ask what warranty was offered for £1200, my initial enquiry was over Jaguar assistance after the warrant had run out. I was told it was only available if the warranty was extended. So the RAC it will be.

I had previously had very poor and expensive service from the same dealership over my two Aston Martins I had bought from them , and before that the same with a BMW franchise .

All these people seem to be interested in is taking your money, excessive prices for parts, and very high labour charges .

If I ever purchase a Jag through a dealership again, which I doubt, I shall use the one in your neck of the woods, Taunton .

ATB,

Trevor (drying out slightly)

Maintenance and servicing isn't such an issue being an agricultural fitter, I know my way around a car! I want some back up after buying a car just for piece of mind more than anything for if the engine or transmission goes bang just after buying the vehicle. The vehicle I am considering is not from a Jaguar dealer, but a genuine second hand car dealer. (I have dealt with my share of dodgy dealers, I know what to look out for).

Hope you and the XJ are surviving the west-country weather!!

Josh

Hi Josh,

You are of the same mind as me in respect of a warranty.  I have only bought one car without one from whom you described as a dodgy dealer.  The exhaust fell off the first weekend I had it.

Peace of mind in respect of the costly items is all you need. I don't think you would find a car under £2000 from a Jaguar main dealer as they tell me that they put them through the auction system or sell them on to smaller dealers.

Let us know how you go on.  112k is not a huge mileage, and if all the bigger jobs have been done you will enjoy the S type.

Regards,

Peter.

Many thanks Peter. I intend on looking at another tomorrow and maybe a second viewing of the one I mentioned earlier now knowing what to look for. I will try to report back tomorrow evening, hopefully with good news!!

As you live in the same area as me I suggest you make sure it has a decent set of Oars !

Hi Trevor,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm fairly sure 2 tonnes of XJ isn't going to float, oars or not!

Good luck over the next few days and I'm sure all of us wish you guys in the southwest all the best.

Mike