Hello new member here needs advice please

Sirtrenty

Hello I am a new member here, I do not own a Jag yet BUT in June I am selling my Smart Fourtwo (needed to save money a couple of years ago) and i want to own my first Jag. I love the look of the X-Type, the S-Type and of course the XJ, I will only have what I can sell the Smart for somewhere between 3-4k. But the help I need is which one should I get? What one is more reliable, fuel efficiant and easy to work on?????

I would be very VERY greatful for any advice from you Jag owners and can't wait to own one my self.

Thank you for your time

Scott.

Welcome to the Club, Scott.

There is a wealth of experience that you will find on this Forum, and of course, some of it differs.

I bought my first Jaguar two and a half years ago, a 2.5 Litre petrol SE all wheel drive.  It was a really nice car, with a manual gearbox in Radiance Red.  Unfortunately, two scroats also thought it was very nice and I was car jacked off my drive.

The X Type is a very nice car, and the two diesel versions are very frugal.

I now own an S Type 2.7 Litre Diesel SE, which is also quite frugal and a joy to drive.  There are some members who have the 3.0 litre Petrol version which was the engine of choice in the USA and it is a very good car, too.  The other engine used by Jaguar pre 2004 was the 2.5 litre petrol engine, which is also not a bad engine at all.

There are al lot of decent Jaguars around within your budget and hopefully you can find one with a full service history that is nice and clean with no adverse history you will enjoy the experience.  

Be prepared to travel a bit to find a good one.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter I have wanted a Jag since I was 13 years old, my dad used to look after one for his mate (XJ6)  and the second I got in it I loved it, and I am finally getting into the situation where I can get one, cant wait.

I would love auto diesel which for my price range means S-Type  but I have read a few reviews that they have electrical problems, the XJ again reviews say they have electrical problems the only one I have heard is reliable is the X-Type, which is why I thought instead of reading any body's reviews I would rather go to people who have them and know all about them.

Hello Scott,

I think all cars with a lot of electronic equipment will have a problem from time, although in the 20 months I owned an ex type I didn't have any problems at all.

My s type which I have had since last June and is the auto diesel, has only had one electrical problem which was very easy to cure.  The electronic handbrake has stuck twice, and all you needed to do was to disconnect the battery for ten minutes, which reboots the computer. You then have to reset your settings, radio, electric seats etc.

The s type is a joy to drive, and is a bigger and heavier car than the x type.  My petrol engined x type returned around 33 mpg on a long run, and about 25 mpg around town, whereas the 2 litre and 2.2 litre diesel x types would return in the high 40s.

I like the auto box on the s type which suits the diesel and also in town driving, and returns around 30 mpg in town and a bit over 40 mpg on longer runs.

On body styling both x type and s type have their strong supporters, so it becomes a matter of personal choice.  The diesel was introduced on the s type in 2004 and there are quite a few good ones around that have been looked after.

Regards,

Peter.

All down to personal choice I think.

I wanted the X-Type and bought my 2005 2.2D Sport for 4500 quid. 20% of the parts are shared with the Ford Mondeo so it's cheap as chips to run. I had it ECU remapped last month and the difference was well worth the 295 quid!

So far I've cleaned the EGR valve, fitted new front discs and pads, new front and rear anti roll bar mounting bushes, anti roll bar drop links and the Oil, air and fuel filters along with Mobil 3000 Oil. All genuine Jaguar components except for the drop links which are Febi- Bilstein and a total cost of £220.

I do all my own maintenance work as I don't trust garages so I pay zero labour. The hardest job so far was the front anti roll bushes as the sub frame needs dropping to gain access but that job only took 2 hours. And not a single electrical gremlin.

I love the X-Type and I'm glad I went for the 2.2 and the Sport. Even with the ECU remap I get around 42mpg normally and 50+ on a run. The remap has given just shy of 200bhp and 366lbft. Going on the rolling road next month after I've cleaned out the intercooler so will get a definite power reading then.

I didn't want it to drive like a hooligan but it needs to drive how a Jaguar should and even in 2.2 guise a modern Renault Scenic diesel could keep up with it. Not anymore!

Thank you Pete and Mick this is all helping me towards a final decision. Every time I see a S I think yep that's the one I'm getting but then later I will see a X and then I think yep that's the one I'm getting lol and on and on and on, but when the Smart is gone it's decision time and now my fears of electrical are easing its between S and X it's all neck and neck lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some models, Scott.

Initially the first x types were AWD with 2.5 and 3 litre V6 engines, ands in 2003 a 2.1 litre V6 from wheel drive was introduced, and later two FWD diesels.

Hope that helps, Scott.

Peter.

Not all no. Only certain petrol models. All diesels are front wheel drive. When Jaguar launched the X-Type the purist Jaguar owner and the press nearly vomited with shock and horror at the front wheel drive concept so Jaguar made the AWD in an attempt to silence their fears. Originally, all Jaguars were RWD due to the engines being mounted longitudinally. When the X-Type was designed, it used transversely mounted V6 engines driving the front wheels because the car wasn't big enough to simply 'turn' the engine in the engine bay. Jaguar then put a transfer box in to drive the rear wheels as well on some models. Once the purists had gotten over the shock of losing the rear wheel drive only concept, Jaguar then slapped them again with the introduction of a diesel model! The first ever diesel to go into a Jaguar. Once again the purists nearly choked!

Just to add more confusion into your choice over the X or the S, Peter will tell you the S is the one to go for whereas I will say you need the X.

I was tempted with the S but was only really interested in the 2.7D twin turbo sport one with all the chrome mesh grilles and huge alloys. I went for the X as it's my preference in styling. Go with your heart. I don't think the choice when it comes to a Jaguar should be governed by your head in any way. If you choose a car using your head, you'll buy a Smart.............

Lol hmmmm who would buy a smart :)

But thanks Pete and Mick for all the information you have provided me with

All I need to do now is sell my smart in June then start a agonising search

For my Jag, can't wait.

Thank you

Definitely heart, Scott.  I wanted a S type being closest to the Mk2 which I wanted when I saw my friend's in 1964.  But when I got rid of my Rover, my wife saw this 2.5 AWD X type in radiance red and wanted it.

We got it and it was a beautiful car, but it was car jacked off my drive.  I would have had another but there was nothing similar in the same condition around, but there were plenty of S types.

So turning a disaster into an opportunity we got our S type, with 48 k on the clock and a new engine at 21k.

A great car to drive, but so was the x type, a great looking car, but again, so was the x type.

Sure they both have some Ford bits, but so do many other cars    ----   and taking the best bits of technology is not a bad thing, and most automotive manufacturers do it.

So go with your heart and enjoy the one you get.

Peter.