enders500

X Type advise needed please.

Hello,

I bought a 2004 X type 2.0D about 6 weeks ago , but this week the car seems a bit noisier on start up and there is a strange burning smell after a few minutes of driving, the smell seems to disappear as quickly as it appears after the engine is shut off.

Not sure if this could be related but also a loss of power when A/C is used.

Any suggestions please?

Hi Paul,

Is there is leak from somewhere? Run the engine and try to see/smell the location.

Jaguar recommend that you should always have the A/C on Auto, so I guess there could be a connection.

Regards

Peter.

There seems to be a rubbing noise on start up , I think the smell could be from alternator or maybe starter motor. 

Is this a likely possibility ? 

Hi Paul,

Thee are several possibilities, but not being an engineer I can't point you to the immediate one.

But if you open the bonnet and get someone else to start the engine you could get a clue.

The engine bay is quite insulated from the cabin and a visual inspection could help.

Are there any fault codes showing?

Regards,

Peter

I am after some advise on my 02 x type petrol. I developed a fault and had a diagnosis check which cane back as o2 sensors upstream so I replaced both of these along with fuel filter however when it gets to running temp i can only drive it with pedal quater of the way down otherwise it gets really lumpy in all gears and kind of back fires/ popping any advice appreciated