Leaking ATF or is it steering fluid... Could be just a seal?

Hi All,

Finally I got my first Jag.

Truth must be told. I wanted an X-type originally, but once I saw this beauty, I could not resist. I am fond to V8 anyway.

This 2001 4.0 V8 Sport is just astonishing. Not a patch of rust anywhere [other than the places where the old lady hit the driveway posts]. Interior is mint. Engine sounds superb.

BUT, and it is a big one. Leaking ATF, or similar substance, as it has parked up. :(

When I was driving initially, I paid particular attention to the "lurch" - I did my homework before buying - but did not experience anything. It was smooth as.

Previous owner drove it to me from 100 miles away, so it was warm anyway, so I might have would not notice anyway.

Now its dropping pinkie in a bowl so I can measure it. 50ml so far in two days.

My only hope is that, this is just a simple seal or drain plug issue.

It is booked to H.A. FOX for service and A/C re-gas. Hope they won't break my spirit.

Cheers,

from an enthusiastic newbie.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

post-7962-0-21547700-1440932036_thumb.jp

post-7962-0-16027300-1440932037_thumb.jp

H.A Fox were the supplying dealer for my car.

Very helpful dealer when questioned about my cars history!!

Sounds like it could be a seal, have you anyway of getting it up in the air to check??

Oh.... Welcome by the way.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, Tamas.

Getting under cars for me is now a no no, but Andy is pointing you in the right direction.

The s type is a great car to drive, and a real classic design.  When the s type 4.0 litre was built it became the fastest production road car  Jaguar had ever built.

Regards,

Peter.

P.S.  There is a Jaguar Owners Club meet at the Heritage car museum in Gaydon on September the 19th.  Not that far away from Nottinghamshire.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

First of all, thanks for the replies Andy and Peter.

Last night, I could not go to sleep easy, so I was thinking. Climbed under the nose a little bit and realized that the leak could not come from the gearbox. Its dripping front of the front axle.

Steering fluid. Took a few pictures. Seems that the hydraulic pump was fiddle around with recently.

I hope that all it is.

Please reassure me.

I want this car to be fixed up and be a gem.