Added Extras.

Andy Pandy

Hi Everyone,

How can I get more information about my 2003 3.0 Sport S-Type? I read other members' posts about parking sensors, heated seats & power fold door mirrors & I am thinking "Does my motor have any of these fitted, & is it just a fuse?"

I have the driver's handbook, but it covers all additional extras, saying things like "On models fitted with heated seats...."

There must be a way to determine exactly what is & is not fitted on mine as new. This all started with me parking on a narrow street & trying to push the door mirrors in. They wouldn't budge, so I thought that maybe they have power fold. I tried the usual buttons on the drivers door, to no avail & am now wondering if the mirrors are just a bit stiff or is it a blown fuse? I don't want to break them off! 

Thank you or any assistance that you may give me.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I have tried a site called   vindecoderz  which gives you the specifications of your car when it left the factory.  Having said that, it sometimes doesn't work for whatever reason.

I think that you can go to a main dealer, or even ring one, and ask what was fitted on your car when it was made.

There are powerfold mirrors on the s type, which you operate by pressing the bottom of the large round button on the cluster on the driver's door as in the handbook on page 85.  The mirror selector switch should be in the central position for it to work

If that doesn't work,  I think it is probable that they were not fitted on your model, if it is pre facelift.

I must say it did surprise me that there were so many optional extras on Jaguar models that no two cars are the same.

I have a 2.7 diesel  on a 07 plate, which is the SE specification, but the first owner must have specified quite o lot of extras, as it has a real spare wheel on a matching alloy rim, which is not standard, plus a wood/leather steering wheel and similar other items that differ from similar models.

It is nice to find what was fitted when it left the factory.

I would add that it is possible to retro fit quite a lot of extras if you have the skills.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter.

I checked with vindecoderz, but they only give info on speed, suspension, fuel type, horse power, stroke, bore & things like that. I'll keep the info, but it's not comprehensive enough. I guess I'll have to contact Jaguar as you suggest.

Hi Andy

I have the same model (registered in June) I think it's all about the original owners requirements when ordering the car from new? Mine does have powered wing mirrors, I only discovered by accident! Before I found that out, I was folding them by hand.

It doesn't have the memory button for seat positions, the rear view mirror has the green LED / on off switch ( Electrochromic auto anti-glare) but the LED does not illuminate when pressed, so don't know if that works, haven't driven at night yet.. Behind the rear view mount, it appears there is the rain sensor, but I don't think that works either, no pedal adjustment option on the steering column, and so on. Perhaps contacting A Jaguar dealer and providing your VIN number may help, but after 12 years would that info still be around?

Steve

• Like 1

Andy, Steve,

Jaguar dealerships have access to the overall Jaguar database going back a lot further than 12 years, luckily for us :D

If you phone your local dealer and explain that you'd like a readout on your car's spec, they will usually send it to you by e-mail within a minute or two and it doesn't cost anything.

I say this as it reflects exactly my experience and the experience of several friends.

It is quite an interesting document when you see it.

As to powerfolds, it is entirely possible that they could be fitted and inoperative. Mine was like that. I don't think they'd been used since day one and the pivot is prone to corrosion. All it takes is to pop the cover off and apply several sprays of WD40 initially at the same time operating the powerfold switch and with helpers gently pushing and pulling on the mirrors until they work loose.

After they loosen up a little, change from WD40 to lithium based spray grease, continuing to work the mirrors until they move freely.

I tend to give mine a little bit of lithium spray grease every month or so as preventative maintenance. In fact, at this stage you don't even need to remove the covers, just spraying the grease into the pivot and wipe off the excess.

Of course, if you have powerfolds then the modification to make them extend and retract automatically when locking and unlocking the car will ensure they get plenty of exercise :lol:

• Like 1

Good luck Andy on getting the info you need

Paul

Thanks for the info about the information being kept by Jaguar, the modification you mention about the wing mirrors automatically folding, is that a simple Mod?

Cheers Steve

Assuming that you have powerfold mirrors installed, It's five wires within the driver's door Steve, but at present only applies to the post face-lift cars as there was a considerable change in certain parts of the car's wiring at that time.

I daresay it could be worked out for earlier cars though :D