New back box insurance problem

Maca44

I am looking to change over the two rear back boxes for stainless one's but my insurance company will not amend my policy unless I tell them exactly what changes it will make to the power of the car. I didn;t think just changing those two boxes would make any difference at all so what do I tell the insurance company.

Mark, there are a lot of myths in the boy racer community about "The size of yer pipe" and so on. Even a full-on performance exhaust system will have very little effect on output power and torque unless lots of other things are also modified to suit.

This of course is my opinion but bear in mind that I took a Rover 620 turbo from 200 to 400 bhp in the past and it took a shed-load of money, work and time :)

So, a simple mild steel to stainless steel back-box replacement will do nothing for performance, ie. no measurable power or torque increase.

In addition, I'd be a little concerned that an insurance company who were being so anal might just be looking for a way out of paying claims.

Who are the insurers please? I feel certain that I would want to avoid them.

My powerflow boxes haven't had any affects on my policy or power, they just look nice!!

I agree with Paul, changing the boxes won't hike the hp unless induction and head work is carried out too.

Just tell the company they are a stainless replacement then as soon as you can ditch the company for a more friendly one.

Thanks for reply

I was going to go with Powerflow with the same bore size just abit smaller boxes just to lift the sound a little.

The company is Post Office Insurance I have only just gone with them as the quote was £100 cheaper than Avia who I have been with for years & never had any increase due to air filter mods & Exhaust.

I have a feeling that Im not going to be happy with this company & yes I think they would be the sort to get out of any claim if they could fine a small reason.

My powerflow boxes haven't had any affects on my policy or power, they just look nice!!

I agree with Paul, changing the boxes won't hike the hp unless induction and head work is carried out too.

Just tell the company they are a stainless replacement then as soon as you can ditch the company for a more friendly one.

I had some brilliant Powerflow exhaust work done on my Honda Civic a few years back so want to go back to the fitter who done that work. Can you tell me how well the Powerflow system works on your Jag, does it behave well on Mway without drone etc.

No noise at motorway speeds and above!

I only really hear them when I accelerate from 30/40 in fourth gear, even then it's not a problem.

Had them on my 3.0 petrol and they made a lovely burble when cruising about town but again, not too noisy at speed.

Only put them on my diesel S type because the selling garage painted the tips of the standard pipes black!!

Also there's the fact that they are virtually brand new and I only paid £75 for them!!

I was lucky enough to find a Powerflow dealer in Stafford when I was doing my Rover 620 turbo who was a real enthusiast.

He even trailered my car to the re-mappers workshop as my insurance company hadn't, at that time, allowed me to insure it for road use.

In the end my insurers put a limit of 350 bhp on it for road use and so when it was remapped to 400 bhp i was only able to try it out on the remapper's test track.

To be fair though, 400 bhp through the front wheels, even with a sorted suspension, transmission and brakes, was a nightmare to control so after I'd had a go, the remapper de-tuned it to 350 bhp which was altogether more useable and allowed me to legally use it for day to day driving.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership