Battery Going Flat

Russ68

Hi all,

I have an intermittent battery fault, she can be fine for months, then suddenly go completely flat overnight, without even enough power to unlock the doors. My only option has been to manually unlock the boot and jump start when this happens.

I don't think the battery is duff, she takes and holds a good charge, but is at least 2 years old, probably more. I'd change the battery if this was recommended. I haven't been able to isolate it and wondered if the X200 was known for this and if there are any recommendations as to how to resolve it. 

Many thanks, Russ

Hi Russ,

I would get the battery checked  --  It could well be on the way out.  Most garages/accessory shops have the battery tester handy.

My s type has been brilliant since I changed the battery a few days after Christmas  --  no more "Parkbrake fault" or anything like that.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi

Get the battery load tested, but once they go completely flat, there never the same again

You need to find the fault first, for a battery to go flat that fast you have  some serious load, you need to connect the a ammeter to see what amps are been drawn and start pulling fuses til its gone, but it going flat that fast it could be alternator, its connected directly to the battery and when the rectifiers/diodes fail can cause that fault

have a look here for typical battery current drains and time delay BATTCARE.pdf

check any after markets addons, like stereo's, alarms etc

cheers

Joe

Thanks guys, no addons like that and I suspect the alternator. I've had enough battery issues with other cars to know this is not a slight drain, interior light or similar. It's all or nothing, it'll either last for weeks / months, or go twice in consecutive days, and that's a big battery to drain in such a short period!

I also have a pretty awful squeak from the front belt area of the car and it which I wondered if it could be alternator bearings, so it would be great in a new alternator sorted both issues! I'll pop the mulitmeter on it in the 1st instance and have the battery tested, but I'll leave off fitting a new battery unless I have a better idea in what's causing the drain.

Where do we all stand on new vs remanufactured alternators, not done a full search but the new ones are pricy! Won't go with just a 2nd hand one as I don't want to do this job again anytime soon!

But once sorted I'll treat to a new battery and in the meantime I'll make sure the retaining thread is lubed up as I understand these can corrode :yes:.

Thanks, :wink1:

Hi

Remanufactured alternators should be good, as it will be a Jaguar alternator, just stripped and rebuilt

usually bearing and brushes are changed and tested, better companies will offer longer guarantees

most jaguars use smart alternators, so they can alter the output, so better economy can be achieved

cheers

Joe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership