Motorway Speed Limit Set To Rise To 80mph

Steve

• 3 months later...

• 5 months later...

It's quite interesting to sit at 70 mph (I don't do it often) and watch the whole world (bar the trucks) pass you by, the down side is when you get some righteous sod doing the same in either lane 2 or 3! Have they never heard of keeping left.

I think the 70 mph speed limit set decades ago suited the country at the time, not least the type of vehicle and driving ability, however times have changed with significant improvement in cars, and I'd like to say "an improvement in driving ability" - but I think we can all say there are loads of muppets out there.

According to the media, the one potential impact of an increase in speed limit to 80 mph, would be a more zero tolerance to exceeding the limit. Is this achieveable? How oftern do you actually spot a police patrol car - in my experience seldomly, so unless there is significant investment in police officers and patrol cars or dare I say it "average speed cameras", zero tolerance will be difficult to enforce.

Morning Dave,

I agree with all you say, the raising of the maximum speed limit is way overdue, especially on motorways, but you answered your own question really, as all the authorities would have to do is either install new cameras, especially the average speed set ups, or re-activate those that were shut down in recent times.

Getting on my soap box now, my beef is with those folks that insist on driving 15 to 20 mph below the current limits. The media, and certain other parties, are quick to claim speed as being the cause of the vast majority of accidents, the A47 Acle straight being a prime example, but one wonders how much of a contributing factor driver frustration is in these cases.

My point is, by all means raise the limit, but couple that with pulling over anyone travelling at speeds that cause the types of slow moving convoys you see travelling so far below the set level.

That won’t happen unfortunately as that takes us back to your point about the lack of patrol cars to enforce such laws.

Hi Peter,

Your point of "folks that insist on driving 15 to 20 mph below the current limits" plagues the entire land, I often travel to Dorset and opt to use the A roads via Swindon, Tidworth and Salisbury. Some of these are great roads with decent straights and both sweeping and sharp corners. The downside, as you mentioned, are those than either can't or do not wish to drive at the speed limit (I accept, there are different road conditions which dictate a lesser speed) but I do sincerely wish they'd just get a move on.

Then there are the folks who are content in sitting behind the slow-coaches unwilling or unable to overtake the car in front. Generally I don't have a problem with them until they don't leave space for anyone to pass them and then the pass the slow-coach. Instead they sit right behind the car in front which means anyone who wants to overtake must overtake more than one car.

Worse still are those muppets who see someone overtaking and then close the gap so you are forced into a dangerous situation of slamming on the brakes and falling back into your original position or forge ahead and make the move. Obviously this follows with the obligatory flashing of headlights and the occasional hand gesture. :o

I'll get of my soap box now...... :D d

It seems to me that our drivers are falling more and more into two camps. Either the completely 'switched off' type who are pootling along oblivious to everyone or everything around them; or those who have an insane death wish and want to take us all with them!

I dont think the speed limit should be raised because I dont think our drivers can handle it. The 'numpties' will panic and those who currently think that a 70 speed limit means 90 is the real speed limit, will see the green light for driving over a ton.

Now lots of drivers are actually reasonably sensible, but I think raising the speed limit will produce an unwanted reaction.

I would prefer to see the government putting some effort into driver awareness and education. We probably all remember the 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule' line that came out many years ago, Various motorways have those annoying chevrons on them that are meant to help you keep your distance. But how often do we see third lane nutters doing 90MPH+ with about 3 feet between them and the car in front.

In the current motoring world I just dont think this will help!

Sage words Brett

My ten penneth on the chevrons, when you comply with them, do you find the car in front never seems to move over? Not that I condone those who tail-gate, but I have found it necessary on occasion to close the gap slightly giving the car in front the suggestion that I do in fact want to get past.

For my part, if a car is tailing me and I've no intention of going faster, it costs nothing to let him past (and lets face it - speeders/agressive drivers are male), the bonus in letting him past, if there are rozzers further up the road they can stop him instead of me :D

Yes, some people dont seem to remember the 'keep over to the left if possible' rule on motorways. I worry about those who want you to move over when you are in the outside lane passing traffic in the middle lane- where do they think I should go! (Dont answer that!)

This is my basic objection to raising the limit. I dont believe that our drving habits and standards will support legally going faster. As previously mentioned by others When did we last see a motorway cop!

I believe it has also been suggested that the motorway rules should be adapted to allow undertaking! Now that really would be a recipe for carnage!!

Undertaking, you mean it's not legal!?! Just joking but any visitors to our fair country could be mistaken to believe that it was legal. I think the new rules which seem to be practiced at the moment also extend to lane one only used by HGVs, lane two is the new lane one for cars, and lane three is normally for overtaking. Obviously, as everyone jumps into lane three at the first hint of one truck starting to overtake one in front, how many cars do you see race up lane two to beat the queue?

Brett, you've got me on my soap box, I'm also amazed when people use their indicator to indicate change of direction, most do it with little regard to the fast approaching car and seem to have the impression "I've indicated therefore I have the right to pull out!" What ever happened to the basic Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Manoeuvre?

I concur with what has been said here. We are still waiting for them to increase the speed limit and I think it would be a good idea. Why are they dragging their feet in enforcing this?

A little off topic - I see in today's paper the Government (bless) is set to give local authority more ocntrol on speed limits where more 20 mph restrictions in towns and cities and potential reduction of national speed limits to 50 or even 40 mph are likely :unsure::wacko: :o :o :o :o :o

I wonder when they're going to fix the pot holes ;)